pixeltracker

Is Kelli O'Hara On Track To Win Her Second Tony? - Page 3

Is Kelli O'Hara On Track To Win Her Second Tony?

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#50Kelli O'Hara and KISS ME KATE -LIVE!
Posted: 4/16/19 at 6:16am

No.

Rogerdellibovi Profile Photo
Rogerdellibovi
#51Kelli O'Hara and KISS ME KATE -LIVE!
Posted: 4/16/19 at 8:01am

I agree with those saying it’s in between Beth and SJB. I really hope SJB pulls this one out. I think Beth can’t be ignored because her role is very “nominatable”, plus she’s 63 and absolutely killing it every night. 

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#52Kelli O'Hara and KISS ME KATE -LIVE!
Posted: 4/16/19 at 8:46am

As people grow older, and assume the awesome responsibility for lives other than their own, and see how arbitrary and cruel life can be, striking down friends like Ruthie Ann and Marin so very unjustly, they often grow more conservative and just want to see people living peacefully together and caring for each other.

I believe that Kelli is such a person.

Updated On: 4/16/19 at 08:46 AM

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#53Kelli O'Hara and KISS ME KATE -LIVE!
Posted: 4/16/19 at 8:50am

Wick3 said: "I have noticed Tony voters in recent years tend to vote for Best Leading Actress in a musical from the winner of Best Musical or Revival or from a musical that's doing well in the box office. Katrina Lenk, Bette Midler, Cynthia Erivo, and Kelli O'Hara all won this Tony the past 4 years and their musical won the Musical or Revival category as well."

This is true, but it actually hasn't been the Best Musical winner very often. I don't think any lead actress from the winning new musical won the Tony between Winokur and Lenk (a 15-year gap).

j.garcia
#54Kelli O'Hara and KISS ME KATE -LIVE!
Posted: 4/16/19 at 12:14pm

Unless youre very close to Kelli O’Hara these comments seem tone deaf and very strange. Is it a reference to the shows she chooses or how she chose to portray Kate’s physicality onstage?  Not sure how the actress sees her place in the universe is relevant to her Tony odds. 

I loved her portrayal of Kate in the first act but not so much in the second. Not sure if that’s a fault of her or the material. SJB seems unlikely for a win, I’d be curious to see how many winners have come out of jukebox musicals. Amber Grey was my pick for lead actress but I’m not sure if she counts for featured or lead. I’m trying to get to the Prom before the noms go out, I know it’s going to get quite a few noms and I could use a feel good musical. 

AngusN
#55Kelli O'Hara and KISS ME KATE -LIVE!
Posted: 4/16/19 at 5:34pm

“SJB seems unlikely for a win, I’d be curious to see how many winners have come out of jukebox musicals."

Why, exactly?

Jessie Mueller for Beautiful, and SJB’s performance is far superior to that performance. 

AEA AGMA SM
#56Kelli O'Hara and KISS ME KATE -LIVE!
Posted: 4/16/19 at 7:02pm

AngusN said: "“SJB seems unlikely for a win, I’d be curious to see how many winners have come out of jukebox musicals."

Why, exactly?

Jessie Mueller for Beautiful, and SJB’s performance is far superior to that performance.
"

In addition John Lloyd Young and Christian Hoff won Best Actor and Best Featured Actor respectively for Jersey Boys.

Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
#57Kelli O'Hara and KISS ME KATE -LIVE!
Posted: 4/16/19 at 10:50pm

j.garcia said: "Amber Grey was my pick for lead actress but I’m not sure if she counts for featured or lead."

Grey is going to be in the featured actress race against Ali Stoker. So really... the FEATURED actress race is the much more interesting race to watch this season.

There are no REAL standouts in the leading in my personal opinion. A number of good performances yes but none that stand out as "Yes THAT is an award winning performance" and certainly not two or more of them. 

I still think it's SJB's to loose simply based on something I said earlier in the topic. It's her time. She's been the Tony award bridesmaid a lot in recent years. It's time to be the bride.

meredithchandler73
#58Kelli O'Hara and KISS ME KATE -LIVE!
Posted: 4/16/19 at 11:22pm

Scarlet Leigh said: "There are no REAL standouts in the leading in my personal opinion. A number of good performances yes but none that stand out as "Yes THAT is an award winning performance" and certainly not two or more of them.

I still think it's SJB's to loose simply based on something I said earlier in the topic. It's her time. She's been the Tony award bridesmaid a lot in recent years. It's time to be the bride.
"

SJB's to lose, not loose.

SJB has been nominated for a Tony Award twice (2013 and 2017) and lost. How is that "a lot in recent years"? Kelli O'Hara was nominated five times (2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2014) before winning for her sixth nomination (2015).

Zion24
#59Kelli O'Hara and KISS ME KATE -LIVE!
Posted: 4/16/19 at 11:53pm

AEA AGMA SM said: "AngusN said: "“SJB seems unlikely for a win, I’d be curious to see how many winners have come out of jukebox musicals."

Why, exactly?

"

In addition John Lloyd Young and Christian Hoff won Best Actor and Best Featured Actor respectively forJersey Boys.
"

Jersey Boys was widely praised, if not outright beloved, and I think Beautiful also got generally positive reception? SJB would win for a praised performance in a generally unloved show (that is struggling at the box office). Its not the same (though I still think she has the best shot...)

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#60Kelli O'Hara and KISS ME KATE -LIVE!
Posted: 4/17/19 at 8:16am

That depends if you are asking about her Kate or her Lili.  The quality of her singing is great in both.  Actingwise she aces Kate.  Her Lili is another matter entirely.

AngusN
#61Kelli O'Hara and KISS ME KATE -LIVE!
Posted: 4/17/19 at 9:09am

Personally, I don’t enjoy her singing of the score; it sounds too operatic for a Cole Porter show. I much prefer Marin’s and Rachel York’s vocals on the recent revival cast recording and DVD respectively.
I think on the Rogers and Hammerstein scores and especially The Bridges... score her voice sounds sublime.