Where is everyone?

MaddieBB12 Profile Photo
MaddieBB12
#100Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/10/18 at 10:45pm

Miles2Go2, thank you! Glad you're still here too! Like I said, the good usually outweighs the rougher patches! :)

\_(•_•)_/ Profile Photo
\_(•_•)_/
#101Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/10/18 at 10:53pm

The BWW that we knew is gone. Last night was it. People got fed up, (over 200) left. Many of them lurkers, but they are gone.

Threads are allowed to be made bullying other members, Threads are allowed to be made when Lesli Margarita calls out the boards. When Alex Brightman calls out the boards. But when the “she who shall not be named” Patti murin, calls the boards out, we can’t adress it.

Threads are deleted, preview threads are gone, users are suspended, goverment Id’s and our real identitys must be shown to PM.

None of this happend when posters bullied others.

None of this happened when we adresses being called out.

I admit it. Some of those comments were mean, but people are harsher to each other and you sit back and relax.

Broadway world changed last night. It’s not the same.

Congrats, Patti. You won.

Kitsune Profile Photo
Kitsune
#102Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/10/18 at 10:56pm

I created my account in 2006, although I've only really started posting the last year or two.

In 2006, I was a recent college grad deciding what show to see for a special New York trip. After doing some research on here, I ended up going with The Producers, who had just started stunt casting Tony Danza.

One of my first posts was to say, "Actually, Tony Danza wasn't *that* awful, and I enjoyed the show overall."  I was excited about contributing. I immediately got jumped on for being a "shill." I think there were a few other posters who said "Chill out", which I appreciated. Still, it was a jarring experience.

As a 30-something I have a tougher skin, but I still don't like spending my mental energy on strangers being rude. All of this is to say that yes, we should be able to critically discuss all aspects of theater, but some of the personal insults thrown around here (both to performers and to other posters) sour the discussion for everybody.

\_(•_•)_/ Profile Photo
\_(•_•)_/
#103Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/10/18 at 10:58pm

My issue comes with the mods. They let bullying happen every day, but when we bring up murin’s frozen attendance all hell breaks lose.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#104Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/10/18 at 11:01pm

Kitsune said: "I created my account in 2006, although I've only really started posting the last year or two.

In 2006, I was a recent college graddeciding what show to see for a special New York trip. After doing some research on here, I ended up going with The Producers, who had just started stunt casting Tony Danza.

One of my first posts was to say, "Actually, Tony Danza wasn't *that* awful, and I enjoyed the show overall." I was excited about contributing. I immediately got jumped on for being a "shill." I think there were a few other posters who said "Chill out", which I appreciated. Still, it was a jarring experience.

As a 30-something I have a tougher skin, but I still don't like spending my mental energy on strangers being rude. All of this is to say that yes, we should be able to critically discuss all aspects of theater, but some of the personal insults thrown around here (both to performers and to other posters) sour the discussion for everybody.
"

^ This 100% 

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#105Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/10/18 at 11:09pm

I have been back and forth about posting in this thread. I was not on last night. I was also confused until I was told by someone what happened and then read the last few pages.

The bottom line is that this is BWW's site. They make the rules. If any of us don't like it then we can close our accounts. I don't think anyone here was forced to join this site.

Freedom of speech? Yes, we should be able to speak freely. But there are things called tact, respect and maturity. Something that is lacking with a lot of people who post here (And all over the internet)

In reading the moderator's responses and responses of members in this thread, it seems, to me at least, that some people are forgetting some things. This is not a closed site. We are not in a bubble. People who don't participate here do read these boards. (The person who told me stopped posting here years ago but reads the site) And the people who run this site go out and conduct interviews, shoot video, attend functions interact with the actors, producers and people associated with shows, face to face, that people anonymously bad mouth and slam here. Imagine the position that puts them and the site owners in. I am sure some of those people could care less and will find some way to still justify their nastiness.

Maybe all of the information regarding the events of last night are not being put out by the mods because it went too far. And while they have restored the luxury of us to be able to enjoy the site they have given to us, they may be putting out fires that people on here started. That may not be the case, but that is how I am reading it.

So BWW,  do what you need to do. Not all of us will agree with the way things are run here but again, we have the choice to leave. I plan to stay.

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 12/10/18 at 11:09 PM

singer234
#106Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/10/18 at 11:13pm

The Broadway community is NOTHING like the Hollywood community. I cringe when I see people criticize an actor and say “they knew what they were getting into”. No. Just because someone has a passion that leads them into the public eye does not give people the right to be mercilessly cruel. None of these posters who left would EVER have the audacity to even TWEET from a public handle their gripes to any of the performers they talk about with disdain. Not dislike, disdain. The theatre community is small. It’s local. VERY local. There is no room for nastiness hidden under the guise of privacy. If any of these “long time” posters had said an ounce of what they say on these boards to these performers’ faces, I might have a modicum of respect for them. But they don’t. This is a community filled with love and light, and if people don’t believe that what they write anonymously here is read by MANY MANY people in the industry, and deeply affects them, they’re fools. I’ve been lurking on these boards for over 15 years (truly) and have only recently seen this level of disdain towards certain performers. Whether it’s “allowed” or not is one thing, but it’s disgusting, unbecoming, and tasteless, all hidden beneath the excuse of anonymity.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#107Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/10/18 at 11:22pm

_(•_&bullWhere is everyone?_/ said: "The BWW that we knew is gone. Last night was it. People got fed up, (over 200) left. Many of them lurkers, but they are gone.

Threads are allowed to be made bullying other members, Threads are allowed to be made when Lesli Margarita calls out the boards. When Alex Brightman calls out the boards. But when the “she who shall not be named” Patti murin, calls the boards out, we can’t adress it.

Threads are deleted, preview threads are gone, users are suspended, goverment Id’s and our real identitys must be shown to PM.

None of this happend when posters bullied others.

None of this happened when we adresses being called out.

I admit it. Some of those comments were mean, but people are harsher to each other and you sit back and relax.

Broadway world changed last night. It’s not the same.

Congrats, Patti. You won.

My issue comes with the mods. They let bullying happen every day, but when we bring up murin’s frozen attendance all hell breaks lose.”

The fact that the BWW we knew is gone isn’t necessarily a bad thing. In addition to putting a long overdue tighter rein (reign? I can never remember) on members’ posting behavior about negative comments about a performer’s life (beyond their performance in a show), it appears they’ll be also be dealing more directly with the bullying behavior that often happens on here between members. Surely, we can all agree that it is a win-win for everyone (except the bullies). 

The issue was never saying so-and-so was out of a show for a performance. We all like to know when a performer is out of a show we are attending. It was when negative attributes were ascribed to said performer due to said absences that things began to devolve, including accusing said performer of using or exaggerating their infirmity to call out of show. (I think we can all agree that is inappropriate). And since it was becoming increasingly impossible for posters (especially last night) to separate absences without attacking the performer (for both her absences and defending herself) I think the mods are smartly being very proactive for now in deleting comments that will invite escalation. I do not envy them their jobs - it must be like herding rabid kittens - all sharp teeth and claws and foaming at the mouth. 

A Canadian in NYC Profile Photo
A Canadian in NYC
#108Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/10/18 at 11:50pm

Is WhizzerMarvin gone?????

If so, this is a true loss to this board. I always read his preview reviews before I buy a ticket.

I hope this all gets resolved but I have a feeling we’ve lost some valuable members...

BalconyClub Profile Photo
BalconyClub
#109Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/10/18 at 11:54pm

My hunch is WhizzerMarvin is still here. Maybe there were no first night previews during the last 2 nights.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#110Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/11/18 at 12:00am

A Canadian in NYC said: "Is WhizzerMarvin gone?????

If so, this is a true loss to this board. I always read his preview reviews before I buy a ticket.

I hope this all gets resolved but I have a feeling we’ve lost some valuable members...
"

I doubt WhizzerMarvin is gone. They didn’t post last night, at least that I saw. So no reason for mods to suspend them unless there were some gnarly PMs which would seem out of character. They always even when disliking a show keep their comments professional. Whizzer mainly only comments after seeing a show with a review so I wouldn’t be concerned because they haven’t posted today.  I doubt Whizzer would be so upset about last njght’s crackdown by the mods that they left. I hope I’m not wrong. I too would miss Whizzer’s presence very, very much. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#111Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/11/18 at 12:02am

To the best of my knowledge, he wasnt involved in anything that happened last night... so I doubt he's gone.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

dramamama611
#112Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/11/18 at 12:07am

To the best of my knowledge, he wasnt involved in anything that happened last night... so I doubt he's gone.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#113Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/11/18 at 12:09am

WhizzerMarvin’s profile appears to still be active.

zainmax
#114Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/11/18 at 12:14am

Can someone write a quick synopsis about what happened? I feel like there was like a massacre and an uprising overnight.

BalconyClub Profile Photo
BalconyClub
#115Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/11/18 at 12:17am

If you want to score a $1 seat on Megabus, simply visit the website frequently and often.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#116Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/11/18 at 12:19am

zainmax said: "Can someone write a quick synopsis about what happened? I feel like there was like a massacre and an uprising overnight."

If you look at posts #82, #83 & #84 in this thread you’ll see it is best if we don’t relitigate last night. 

\_(•_•)_/ Profile Photo
\_(•_•)_/
#117Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/11/18 at 12:20am

Patti murin calls out the boards again.

People make a thread about it.

Thread is deleted ASAP.

People get upset the thread was deleted.

People get muted and Suspended.

Any mention of said broadway performer is deleted.

People get more upset.

Certain poster shares VERY personal story about anexity and life

Post gets deleted

People get ticked

People leave, and all the daily posters leave for reddit and make nee board

Board is shut down for the night.

And thats what happend.

CPannullo
#118Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/11/18 at 12:21am

So who are some of the people that appear to be suspended? I take it anyone involved in what happened last night is gone?

Updated On: 12/11/18 at 12:21 AM

\_(•_•)_/ Profile Photo
\_(•_•)_/
#119Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/11/18 at 12:23am

Uh, if I can remember

Adamgreer

Broadway Conceirge

Sondhemite

Bwayfan292!

And some others

zainmax
#120Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/11/18 at 12:29am

_(•_&bullWhere is everyone?_/ said: "Uh, if I can remember

Adamgreer

Broadway Conceirge

Sondhemite

Bwayfan292!

And some others
"

Is HogansHero still here? He/she is my favorite!

Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
#121Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/11/18 at 12:31am

CPannullo said: "So who are some of the people that appear to be suspended? I take it anyone involved in what happened last night is gone?"

I could post a list of 7 known people or say where I found said list but it would likely be deleted as linking off site to where they all went was squashed out very quickly last night and likely would be now as well.

dramamama611
#122Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/11/18 at 12:33am

_(•_&bullWhere is everyone?_/ said: "Uh, if I can remember

Adamgreer

Broadway Conceirge

Sondhemite

Bwayfan292!

And some others
"

Thats hardly 200 people.. Some were suspended,  no one permanently - unless it was their choice.  I wasnt a part if anything that happened but found the mods reaction extreme. 

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#123Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/11/18 at 12:34am

zainmax said: "_(•_&bullWhere is everyone?_/ said: "Uh, if I can remember

Adamgreer

Broadway Conceirge

Sondhemite

Bwayfan292!

And some others
"

Is HogansHero still here? He/she is my favorite!
"

Yes, he just posted in the Avenue Q closing thread. He can be snarky, but never personal. I don’t see him going anywhere. I value him too. 

\_(•_•)_/ Profile Photo
\_(•_•)_/
#124Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/11/18 at 12:39am

I only say 200, cause that’s how many subs they have