Must-sees (TKTS) right now

ChiTheaterFan
#1Must-sees (TKTS) right now
Posted: 3/4/19 at 6:27pm

Hi, all.

Sorry to put up one of these generic posts, but I've been very away from the theater scene lately and have no idea what's going on. (Such a difference from a few years back when I was coming to NY all the time and saw nearly every show! Sigh. that's what a career change will do.) I'm coming to New York this weekend and have been trying my best to sort through all the threads, but I'm having trouble distilling the information. I'm seeing Harry Potter and Kiss Me Kate, and have 2 other spots open, for which I'm hoping to hit the TKTS line. My initial thoughts were to see Come From Away again since Jenn Colella is still in it, and maybe Mean Girls just as a fun, entertaining show? (Both seem to have plenty of tickets available for my dates.) But I'm not sold on that. I've heard mixed things on Mean Girls and I kind of hesitate to do a repeat when I now get to NYC so rarely.

Last time I came to this Board with a similar question you all came through big time--I wasn't even considering the Band's Visit, but someone told me it was truly special and not to be missed. They were right and I adored it. So is there anything right now that you adore and think is unmissable? I'm not limited to musicals either; I love good plays. (For reference, I've seen basically everything currently playing that came out before Come From Away, and other than The Band's Visit, nothing that came out after it.)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

BalconyClub Profile Photo
BalconyClub
#2Must-sees (TKTS) right now
Posted: 3/4/19 at 6:36pm

Tours for Come From Away and Mean Girls will play in Chicago.

BalconyClub Profile Photo
BalconyClub
#3Must-sees (TKTS) right now
Posted: 3/4/19 at 6:37pm

The Ferryman is terrific.

ImAProphet
#4Must-sees (TKTS) right now
Posted: 3/4/19 at 6:47pm

Seconding the Ferryman. Also, the My Fair Lady revival is absolutely magnificent if you haven't already seen it.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#5Must-sees (TKTS) right now
Posted: 3/4/19 at 6:55pm

If Choir Boy is still playing, see that.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#6Must-sees (TKTS) right now
Posted: 3/4/19 at 7:19pm

The Prom!

ChiTheaterFan
#7Must-sees (TKTS) right now
Posted: 3/4/19 at 7:33pm

Thanks all!  I was just listening to the Come From Away cast recording again and I can't believe I forgot that one of the reasons I was planning on seeing it again was to see it with my mom.  She was a United flight attendant, so I think I will see it again just to see it with her because it will be meaningful.  But that still leaves one space, and I will definitely check out the rest of these!   Any more thoughts would be welcome as well, of course!  Still got lots of time to decide.

Sadly I'm not in Chicago anymore so I don't get as many tours as I used to either.  Guess I should get a new username.  :)

ARTc3
#8Must-sees (TKTS) right now
Posted: 3/5/19 at 8:32pm

I suspect my suggestion will not be popular, but I'd suggest King Kong. Here's why… Much of what has been written here is true, it is not great theater. Its flaws are many. What it is, is spectacle. Kong is amazing, as are the sets and other visual / sound / tech achievements. The performances are sincere, although their material is often uninspired. There are many breathtaking moments. AND, it's not going to last. I am actually surprised that it is still playing. If the theater goer that once was within you is still there, then you want to see this as it is one of a kind.

Just my thoughts. 

ARTc3 formerly ARTc. Actually been a poster since 2004. My name isn't Art. Drop the "3" and say the signature and you'll understand.

Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
#9Must-sees (TKTS) right now
Posted: 3/5/19 at 8:39pm

I'd really recommend The Ferryman or The Prom. Two completely different shows, but I had a fantastic time at each of them. Highly highly recommend!

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#10Must-sees (TKTS) right now
Posted: 3/5/19 at 9:06pm

Fiddler on the Roof in Yiddish. No question!

ChiTheaterFan
#11Must-sees (TKTS) right now
Posted: 3/8/19 at 8:47am

Thanks all! Still absolutely no idea what I'm going to do. Need to research these options today!

ChiTheaterFan
#12Must-sees (TKTS) right now
Posted: 3/9/19 at 11:15am

After lots of reading up on things yesterday, we decided to see Choir Boy last night since it's closing tomorrow and seemed right up our alley. We all thought it was brilliant. It warmed my heart and made me devastated at the same time. Very glad to have seen it.

My parents are seeing The Prom today. I have a little bit of FOMO since it sounds so fun but not really because I'm seeing Harry Potter today and am really glad I went with Choir Boy yesterday. If they like it hopefully I can make it back!

We opted to get tickets ahead of time to Come From Away Tuesday since my parents really want us to see that together. I'll enjoy seeing it again I'm sure. They're also seeing The Band's Visit tonight which I wish I could see again. Not enough time!!! Need to make another trip but now I'm a poor grad student. Sigh. I do hope to make it back for Hadestown.

Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
#13Must-sees (TKTS) right now
Posted: 3/9/19 at 8:05pm

So glad you enjoyed Choir Boy!! One of my favorites this season!

ChiTheaterFan
#14Must-sees (TKTS) right now
Posted: 3/9/19 at 11:37pm

Another update: my parents LOVED The Prom. So thanks all! Hope I can see it at some point!