pixeltracker

Refer To Actor By First Name- Page 2

Refer To Actor By First Name

Theatrefanboy1
#25Refer To Actor By First Name
Posted: 4/22/19 at 8:03am

It’s interesting because I have noticed that when I’ve met some I’ve thanked them or spoke to them as ms Peters, Ms Lupon, Ms. Osnes, ms. Lansbury, mr Jackson, but I have also caught myself thanking some as just charlie (Williams) or Ryan (Steele) Kyle dean (Massey) which my no means do I think we are on a first name basis. I don’t know.

Loopin’theloop
#26Refer To Actor By First Name
Posted: 4/22/19 at 9:31am

I agree entirely. It’s rude. I work in theatre and I’ve seen my name used without my surname and it irritates me.

Vespertine1228 Profile Photo
Vespertine1228
#27Refer To Actor By First Name
Posted: 4/22/19 at 9:33am

I used to do this when I was a preteen and my parents would take me to Blockbuster Video. It drove them CRAZY.

We mutually found the line when I referred to a movie starring Jennifer Love Hewitt as a movie starring J. Love. Even I could tell that was too familiar.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#28Refer To Actor By First Name
Posted: 4/22/19 at 9:38am

JBroadway said: "Wow. Such disproportionately vicious responses. The OP raised this concern pretty respectfully, with a moderate tone. It's not like they called people "inconsiderate a-holes" for using first names.

For the record, I am in my 20s, and I actually agree with the OP.

I think the OP is right to point out that it's not always clear who the person is just by the first name. Especially with common first names like "Laura" (is it Osnes? Benanti? Michelle Kelly? Donnelly? etc.). And even if there's only one person who it could refer to, it isn't always easy to recall things like that based on a first name, because last names tend to be more distinctive.For example, if someone said they really hope "Michael" gets a Tony nomination for Best Actor- sure, there's only one Michaeleligible, but it's such a common name that I would really have to take a second to think about which contender is named Michael. But if they said "Urie" or "Michael Urie"I immediately know who they're talking about.

I also see the OP's point about respect. Using first names makes it sound like you're talking about a buddy from work. Using last names makes it sound like you're talking about an artist, or a public figure. I admit I don't always adhere to that rule (I'd be lying if I said I never mentioned how much I love "Bernadette" or "Patti"Refer To Actor By First Name. But I also don't think the OP is wrong to point it out.
"

I agree with everything you said, especially the first paragraph. This board is a nest of vipers.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

getupngo Profile Photo
getupngo
#29Refer To Actor By First Name
Posted: 4/22/19 at 11:07am

dramamama611 said: "I think 2 different things are being mentioned: ONLY referring to some one by a singular and identifiable first name only and using a first name in a casual sense after id has been established.

If the op meant the 2nd circumstance, i stand by my opinion....discussion boards are no different then having a casual conversation. Nothing wrong with famiarity amongst "us". Yes, in publications, it is certainly different. In talking to my friends, I'm never going to refer to Patrick Page as Mr. Page. If I were writing a review that was going to be published, I would.

We are not a professional setting here.

"

EXACTLY. And the ones saying "Laura... well is it osnes or Linney" it all comes down to context... saying I loved Laura in Cinderella is obviously Osnes... etc...

JSquared2
#30Refer To Actor By First Name
Posted: 4/22/19 at 11:14am

getupngo said: "EXACTLY. And the ones saying "Laura... well is it osnes or Linney" it all comes down to context... sayingI loved Laura in Cinderella is obviously Osnes... etc..."

But IS it obvious?  Laura Benanti WAS "Cinderella" in INTO THE WOODS.  Bottom line is, just take 2 extra seconds to type out the actor's last name and avoid any confusion.

treblemakerz Profile Photo
treblemakerz
#31Refer To Actor By First Name
Posted: 4/22/19 at 11:20am

In terms of disntinguishing who is being talked about, I agree last names should be included, unless it's painfully obvious; i.e. there was a thread yesterday solely about Laura Osnes. I feel, in that context, no one should be confused if one just says "Laura."

Also would just like to throw in that, solely talking about the things that go on in this message board, if not disrespecting performers is such a concern perhaps referring to them by their first names is not the hill we should die on. Refer To Actor By First Name

Updated On: 4/22/19 at 11:20 AM

getupngo Profile Photo
getupngo
#32Refer To Actor By First Name
Posted: 4/22/19 at 12:16pm

JSquared2 said: "getupngo said: "EXACTLY. And the ones saying "Laura... well is it osnes or Linney" it all comes down to context... sayingI loved Laura in Cinderella is obviously Osnes... etc..."

But IS itobvious? Laura Benanti WAS "Cinderella" in INTO THE WOODS. Bottom line is, just take 2 extra seconds to type out the actor's last name and avoid any confusion.

"

touche. Refer To Actor By First Name