pixeltracker

Regarding KISS ME KATE obc revival recording

Regarding KISS ME KATE obc revival recording

kofler22
#1Regarding KISS ME KATE obc revival recording
Posted: 6/7/19 at 11:56am

I´m listening to the OBC recording of the current revival and I noticed that they completely changed the lyrics for I am ashamed that women are so simple...Now it´s called I am ashamed that people are so simple and the focus is completely changed!! C´mon! It´s Shakespeare! 

What are your thoughts? 

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#2Regarding KISS ME KATE obc revival recording
Posted: 6/7/19 at 12:45pm

This was announced when Amanda Green signed on to tinker with Cole Porter's brilliant original lyrics and discussed in the preview thread and review thread. I'll just reiterate that I find the changes unnecessary, especially in "Simple" since those are not Lilli's thoughts, but rather her lines she is reciting as Katharine in Shrew. The show is a reflection of the time in which it was written. If the creative team feels they need to censor the text rather than present the piece as written and perhaps use it to start a dialogue, then maybe they should have just picked a different show.

Pose2 Profile Photo
Pose2
#3Regarding KISS ME KATE obc revival recording
Posted: 6/7/19 at 12:49pm

Beautiful recording, been listening all day. Love everyone's voice.

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#4Regarding KISS ME KATE obc revival recording
Posted: 6/7/19 at 12:57pm

It’s heaven!

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."

binau Profile Photo
binau
#5Regarding KISS ME KATE obc revival recording
Posted: 6/7/19 at 1:02pm

The song makes no sense in the context of the show but as a stand alone recording and general social commentary I think it’s beautiful & nice. :).

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#6Regarding KISS ME KATE obc revival recording
Posted: 6/7/19 at 4:26pm

Stunning.  Gorgeous.  I am so pleased with this recording.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#7Regarding KISS ME KATE obc revival recording
Posted: 6/8/19 at 12:39am

I’ve never been a big Kelli O’Hara fan, but with this recording, I’m “So In Love”! The whole recording is sensational. I’m on my second listen now...

The recording of the revival before this, with Marin Mazzie, is also highly recommended.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#8Regarding KISS ME KATE obc revival recording
Posted: 6/8/19 at 12:46am

I still prefer the last revival recording. I went ahead and put that one on straight after listening to this one. It's still odd to me neither recording includes "From This Moment On." There must be a reason.

noradesmond Profile Photo
noradesmond
#9Regarding KISS ME KATE obc revival recording
Posted: 6/8/19 at 4:16pm

CATSNYrevival said: "I still prefer the last revival recording. I went ahead and put that one on straight after listening to this one. It's still odd to me neither recording includes "From This Moment On." There must be a reason."

I haven't listened to the entire recording yet so my mind may change, but so far I agree. I prefer the previous  revival recording with Marin Mazzie, Brian Stokes Mitchell, and Amy Spanger. Nothing wrong with this new one; I just don't find anything that improves on the previous one.