Which show to see?

DebraR
#1Which show to see?
Posted: 3/7/20 at 6:16pm

Hi all!!

My daughters (22 & 19) and I are trying to figure out which show to rush tomorrow morning. Off Broadway maybe?

Curious about Girl From North Country.

Weve seen a lot lately, maybe something a little lesser known?

Thanks!!

chipsandguacplz
#2Which show to see?
Posted: 3/7/20 at 6:44pm

My fav off-broadway shows that are lesser known I guess have been the musical, Emojiland and the play/concert REALLY COOL show We're Gonna Die. For lesser known broadway stuff, jagged little pill and the inheritance are both amazing imo and perfect for those ages!! Haven't seen GFNC yet, but have heard mixed reviews. Have fun tomorrow:)

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#3Which show to see?
Posted: 3/7/20 at 11:41pm

As much as I love The Inheritance (and I really love despite its flaws), it’s almost 7 hours spread across two parts. 

You say you’ve seen a lot so not sure if you’ve seen Little Shop of Horror? Not exactly lesser known, but a lot of fun.

Company has just begun previews. And they have both a rush and digital lottery and standing room. (Looks like you missed entering the lottery for tomorrow):

COMPANY (Bernard B. Jacobs Theatre - 242 W. 45th Street, between 7th and 8th Aves.)
General Rush
Price: $43
How: Available on the day of the performance.
Where: Bernard B. Jacobs Theatre box office
Time: 10 AM Tuesday-Saturday, noon Sunday
ID: N/A
Payment Method: Cash or credit card
Tickets Per Person: Limit 2
Seat Locations: Determined at the discretion of the box office

Digital Lottery
Price: $43
How: Submit online form
Where: companylottery.com/
Time: Available performances will be posted at midnight the day before the performance. Lotteries close at 3PM the day before the performance. Winners have six hours to purchase tickets.
Payment Method: Credit card
ID: Credit card used for purchase
Seating Locations: Determined at the discretion of the box office.

Standing Room
Price: $32
How: Available on a first-come, first-serve basis when the show is sold out.
Where: Bernard B. Jacobs Theatre box office
Time: 10 am Monday-Saturday, noon on Sunday
Seat Locations: Standing room at back of the orchestra section
Special Policies: Subject to availability

Also, A Soldier’s Play:

A SOLDIER'S PLAY (American Airlines Theatre - 227 W. 42nd Street, between 7th and 8th Aves.)
Digital Rush
Price: $30
How: Available through the TodayTix app
Where: todaytix.com
Time: 10 AM
ID: Valid photo ID
Number of Tickets Available: Subject to availability.

I also hear Diana is easier to win the lottery for:

DIANA (Longacre Theatre - 220 W. 48th Street, between Broadway and 8th Ave.)
General Rush
Price: $40
How: Available on the day of the performance.
Where: Longacre Theatre box office
Time: 10 AM Monday-Saturday, and, starting on April 19th, noon Sunday

Digital Lottery
Price: $40
How: Submit online form
Where: dianalottery.com
Time: Available performances will be posted at midnight the day of the performance. Matinee lotteries will close at 10AM and evening lotteries at 3PM.
ID: Credit card used for purchase
Seating Locations: Determined at the discretion of the box office.

As much as I loved the music in Girl From The North Country, I wasn’t a fan of how the songs were integrated into the underwritten book. It might be a long slog for your daughters unless they’re fans of Bob Dylan.

Updated On: 3/7/20 at 11:41 PM

52889j
#4Which show to see?
Posted: 3/7/20 at 11:44pm

Might I suggest Dana H at Vineyard theatre? There's a TodayTix rush which might be tricky with 3 people. However, they do have a $20 cash only standby line starting one hour prior to curtain. I took that route and got in pretty easily.

Rosette3
#5Which show to see?
Posted: 3/8/20 at 12:01am

Tommorow 3/8 is a werid day since some shows just started, Sunday is dark for a lot of newers shows. I was considering extending my day trip today 3/7 to include Sunday but decided against it bc shows I was interested were dark. Company, Diana, The Hangmen, Virginia Woolf, GFTNC, The Lehman Trilogy are examples of shows that aren't playing tomorrow.

For off Broadway I'd suggest either trying for in person lottery for Little Shop which is a really fun production if you haven't seen it yet. Gideon is fantastic as Seymour.

Second suggestion is to try for waitlist for Cambodian Rock Band at Signature Theater. It's sold out but likely will still have seats. My sold out night had a handful 10-15 empty seats. It's play on dark subject but the live band and music incorporated throughout somehow really works for the show.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#6Which show to see?
Posted: 3/8/20 at 12:07am

Well, it looks like of all my suggestions, only A Soldier’s Play and Little Shop of Horror are playing on Sunday. I have to say though that I’m loving some of these off-Broadway suggestions.

DebraR
#7Which show to see?
Posted: 3/8/20 at 12:19am

Thanks everyone!

We saw Little Shop (obsessed with Christian Borle) and had a great time.  Seeing Company Monday night and was thinking of Virginia Woolf but didn't realize it would be dark.  I'll look into the others recommended, saw Jagged Little Pill tonight and liked it a lot more than I expected to.  My phone did drop as we were standing at the end for the ovation, and Derek Klena tried to help us get it, the highlight of the girls' night for sure.  Hoping that we will be able to get it back tomorrow, hoping that is where I lost it!

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#8Which show to see?
Posted: 3/8/20 at 3:14pm

DebraR said: "Thanks everyone!

We saw Little Shop (obsessed with Christian Borle) and had a great time. Seeing Company Monday night and was thinking of Virginia Woolf but didn't realize it would be dark. I'll look into the others recommended, saw Jagged Little Pill tonight and liked it a lot more than I expected to. My phone did drop as we were standing at the end for the ovation, and Derek Klena tried to help us get it, the highlight of the girls' night for sure. Hoping that we will be able to get it back tomorrow, hoping that is where I lost it!
"

hope you were able to recover your phone. Would love to know what you decided to see and how you liked it.  

DebraR
#9Which show to see?
Posted: 3/8/20 at 11:31pm

Got my phone back!  Whew!  Ended up seeing West Side Story (not much playing today).  One daughter liked it somewhat, me and my older daughter did not like it. 

We rushed and our seats were in Box B on the left.  These are not partial view seats, these are no view seats for 1/2 of the show. We literally couldn't see anything going on on the left side of the stage and the screens were so distracting.  I thought Maria was really good but I don't understand why they decided to have the acting so far back on stage.  A lot of the time, the stage seemed empty.  Really really did not like the screens.

I wouldn't recommend it and would not want to see it again.

Going to Company tomorrow night, so excited!  One daughter is going back to school Tuesday but my other daughter and I will be rushing for something. Thinking about Virginia Woolf or Unsinkable Molly Brown.  Need to read the reviews/opinions here tomorrow.

Thanks again for the recommendations!

hak5 Profile Photo
hak5
#10Which show to see?
Posted: 3/8/20 at 11:43pm

HADESTOWN !

DebraR
#11Which show to see?
Posted: 3/8/20 at 11:58pm

Saw it Saturday Which show to see?. Agree, it was fantastic!

Dkinny23
#12Which show to see?
Posted: 3/9/20 at 5:51am

No idea how easy it will come by to get a rush ticket, but Mrs. Doubtfire which starts today has an online rush for $35 on TodayTix - starts at 9am. Assuming everything will sell out fairly quick but worth a try

KathyNYC2
#13Which show to see?
Posted: 3/9/20 at 6:08am

SIX if you still around on Tuesday. What a fun night!!