pixeltracker

Where to find full length plays?

Where to find full length plays?

borlechristian
#1Where to find full length plays?
Posted: 6/29/20 at 8:53am

So, I'm a theatre kid who loves musicals, but does not know much of plays.

I was hoping to ask you guys if you knew any websites or apps where you could read full length plays?

Thanks!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2Where to find full length plays?
Posted: 6/29/20 at 12:01pm

Depends what you want to read. Since most plays are copywrite protected, the short answer is No. However, there is a lot illegally posted copies if you have specific titles you are iinterested in.. If you are looking for classic theater, it's in the public domain.

Newer contemporary stuff (non broadway, non professional stuff) can sometimes be found on individual websites such as Payscripts or Theaterefolk -although often, you only get 90% of the play for free.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#3Where to find full length plays?
Posted: 6/29/20 at 12:14pm

Does your local library have ebooks?

whatdoesntkillme
#4Where to find full length plays?
Posted: 6/29/20 at 2:03pm

Check out New Play Exchange. Thousands of manuscripts for a cheap yearly membership. It's the best thing to happen to new work development.

toottoot
#5Where to find full length plays?
Posted: 6/29/20 at 2:10pm

Scribd is pretty neat, and I believe you can sign up for a free trial for a month (used to be able to at least), so that could provide you a few weeks of free reading time. It can be challenging to find plays to read for free online, though most classics are available to find and some are pretty dang good. New Play Exchange is terrific too. Local library is a great option, and if you're near an American city, most are offering e-book options during the pandemic. If you have $ to throw around, check out Dramatists Play Service as they offer a lot of e-books for their catalogue! Happy play reading! 

Updated On: 6/29/20 at 02:10 PM

toottoot
#6Where to find full length plays?
Posted: 6/29/20 at 2:10pm

yikes. double-post. apologies!

Updated On: 6/29/20 at 02:10 PM

Alex Kulak2
#7Where to find full length plays?
Posted: 6/29/20 at 2:16pm

whatdoesntkillme said: "Check out New Play Exchange. Thousands of manuscripts for a cheap yearly membership. It's the best thing to happen to new work development."

Ditto to this. Allow me to shamelessly shill my own NPX page:

https://newplayexchange.org/users/35519/alex-kulak