pixeltracker

Rebecca Luker Has Passed Away- Page 2

Rebecca Luker Has Passed Away

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#25Rebecca Luker Has Passed Away
Posted: 12/23/20 at 3:08pm

I have the same story as Jorge... I saw Mary Poppins all those years ago and had no idea I was seeing Luker on stage. What a treasure, she will be missed. All the love in the world to Danny and his children.

Oh look, a bibu!

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#26Rebecca Luker Has Passed Away
Posted: 12/23/20 at 3:20pm

What a devastating loss. Man, screw 2020. 

Rumpelstiltskin Profile Photo
Rumpelstiltskin
#27Rebecca Luker Has Passed Away
Posted: 12/23/20 at 5:12pm

Beautiful inside and out.  So sad.

#28Rebecca Luker Has Passed Away
Posted: 12/23/20 at 5:22pm

RIP. (I especially enjoyed Anything Goes:  Rebecca Luker Sings Cole Porter.)

Globefan
#29Rebecca Luker Has Passed Away
Posted: 12/23/20 at 6:01pm

She was amazing as Christine in Phantom. RIP Rebecca 

boo41419892
#30Rebecca Luker Has Passed Away
Posted: 12/23/20 at 6:27pm

This death hit me really hard.  I knew she was not doing well a couple months ago based on updates I saw on social media, but I was really hoping she would survive to see Danny (hopefully) win the Tony Award this year.

I use to listen to The Secret Garden non-stop in high school.  I got to see Rebecca in Mary Poppins in 2007 and was so amazed to see her live.  It was my first trip to New York City and seeing her was one of the highlights (if not THE highlight) of the trip.

You will be missed.  Listening to your voice has gotten me through a lot over the years.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#31Rebecca Luker Has Passed Away
Posted: 12/23/20 at 7:30pm

wow. i knew she'd gotten worse the last few months. did not think she would go so soon. turns out her final recording appearances were in 2013, didn't realize how long it had been. i loved her voice especially on her recordings of Show Boat and Wonderful Town. god this is so quickly, my thoughts are with her family tonight.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#32Rebecca Luker Has Passed Away
Posted: 12/23/20 at 7:54pm

Heaven has gotten much more brighter with her and Mazzie. She was a major influence on me as an aspiring actress. Her singing in SECRET GARDEN is one of my favorite soprano bits ever. I wished that I saw FOOTLOOSE in DC now. I’m thinking of Danny so much right now. Has the poor guy gone through enough?!

mikey2573
#33Rebecca Luker Has Passed Away
Posted: 12/23/20 at 8:30pm

I was always amazed at her breath control in the opening of THE SECRET GARDEN's cast recording:

Clusters of crocus, (breath)

Purple and gold (breath) 

Blankets of pansies, (breath)

Out from the cold. Lilies and iris, Safe from the chill. (breath) 

Safe in my garden, (Breath)

Snowdrops so still.

She was able to sing "Out from the cold....." all the way to "chill" without taking a breath; and "cold" was a long high note.  I always expected her to take a breath after "iris" but she brought the "s" at the end of "iris" right into the "s" at the beginning of "safe" with no breath.  Of course, she couldn't do it in the theater singing it live.....or so I thought.  But every time I saw the show (and I saw it more than ten times) she did it exactly like on the recording.  How did she have that much air?? I've been marveling about that since I first heard her sing back in the early 90s. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdkzH_3etZM

She did something equally remarkable in "Come to My Garden".  When she sings the entire phrase, "There I'll see you safely grown, and on your way" (shouldn't she take a breath after 'way' ? YES, but SHE DOESN'T!!) "stay there in my garden" (Finally she breathes!!) Yeah, but she couldn't do that in the theater.  WRONG AGAIN!!  She did it every time I saw the show. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwTRg-i2JG4

I listened to that CD until I knew it by heart before I ever saw her in the show, and I thought they must have done some studio trickery to make it sound like she was singing without actually breathing.  But, when she does it LIVE in the theater! That was an amazing voice and an amazing singer!  That moment at the end of "Come to My Garden" where the lights slowly come down at the end of the song, and there is just one tiny spot on Lily and Colin as he falls asleep in her arms, brought tears to my eyes every time  I saw the show.  In fact, I think it was for that moment that I kept going back to see the show over and over.  She was simply amazing.  So sad to hear she has passed.  RIP.  

Updated On: 12/23/20 at 08:30 PM

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#34Rebecca Luker Has Passed Away
Posted: 12/24/20 at 1:50am

I had a great crush on Rebecca when she came to New York with the famed Prince Show Boat. She sang Magnolia so beautifully and was nominated for Best Actress Musical but unfortunately was up against Glenn Close for Sunset Boulevard. I shared her love for Jerome Kern and I often listen to her 2013 (that long ago?) recording "I Got Love," a treasure of Kern songs well known and a few not so well known.

I don't think anyone has mentioned her performance in Encore's The Boys From Syracuse, which brought two gems: Rebecca's signature recording of Rodgers and Hart's "Falling in Love with Love," among the very few best recordings of the song ever made and the playful "Sing For Your Supper" in which she lead a trio.in a way that she suggested that she could have shined in musicals besides the wholesome ones in which she was usually cast,

Here are Rebecca at her peak, Audra and Mary Testa performing "Sing For Your Supper" as arranged for Encores.

Sing For Your Supper

Sorry, this link did not work on the App.

Updated On: 12/25/20 at 01:50 AM

Soaring29 Profile Photo
Soaring29
#35Rebecca Luker Has Passed Away
Posted: 12/25/20 at 4:08am

Incredibly heartbreaking- she wasn't always my favorite in everything she was in but she had an incredible impact on me over time none the less and was a great inspiration. She was an amazing artist, rest in peace. 

sarcadam88
#36Rebecca Luker Has Passed Away
Posted: 10/23/23 at 9:20pm

Completely randomly, I came across an old Hallmark commercial from 1997 and my reaction was, wait… is that Rebecca Luker? What a presence she was, even for a few corny seconds.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Ss7C7ZKXl9I&si=N-G_HaFlzj9wfbx4

Videos