Hal Holbrook Has Passed Away At 95

Hal Holbrook Has Passed Away At 95

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2Hal Holbrook Has Passed Away At 95
Posted: 2/2/21 at 9:24am

And if you’ve never seen it, here is the 1977 production of “Our Town” that he starred in. It’s what made me fall in love with theater and realize this is the greatest play ever written. Holbrook’s performance as the Stage Manager is one I’ve, to this day no matter how many productions I’ve seen, never seen topped.

Our Town

Updated On: 2/2/21 at 09:24 AM

castlestreet Profile Photo
castlestreet
#3Hal Holbrook Has Passed Away At 95
Posted: 2/2/21 at 9:55am

What a class act he was! I hope he’s reunited with his beloved Dixie Carter now...may he RIP!

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#4Hal Holbrook Has Passed Away At 95
Posted: 2/2/21 at 1:50pm

Sad to hear the news. I always think of That Certain Summer one of the first TV movies to portray a gay relationship which was groundbreaking  for its time. RIP

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#5Hal Holbrook Has Passed Away At 95
Posted: 2/2/21 at 1:51pm

I need to rewatch Wild in the Streets.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#6Hal Holbrook Has Passed Away At 95
Posted: 2/2/21 at 3:16pm

joevitus said: "I need to rewatch Wild in the Streets."

Funny you should mention that film. I re-watched it again for the first time in years. That film is bonkers, and that cast! Holbrook, Christopher Jones, Shelley Winters, Richard Pryor, Ed Begley, Millie Perkins and a back-from-self-exile Diane Varsi. 

Anyway, I doubt Holbrook will be remembered for this particular film but he has left a might fine legacy behind for generations to discover.

May he Rest In Peace. 

NameGreg Profile Photo
NameGreg
#7Hal Holbrook Has Passed Away At 95
Posted: 2/2/21 at 4:55pm

So sad, he was amazing.

“Somebody stop me before I sing again” - Bazzard

nmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
#8Hal Holbrook Has Passed Away At 95
Posted: 2/2/21 at 6:13pm

I can still see him so clearly as Mark Twain and hear him say, "Man is the only animal that blushes...or needs to.'

That was decades ago at the Orpheum Theatre in Memphis, TN.

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#9Hal Holbrook Has Passed Away At 95
Posted: 2/2/21 at 6:44pm

CarlosAlberto said: "joevitus said: "I need to rewatch Wild in the Streets."

Funny you should mention that film. I re-watched it again for the first time in years. That film is bonkers, and that cast! Holbrook, Christopher Jones, Shelley Winters, Richard Pryor, Ed Begley, Millie Perkins and a back-from-self-exile Diane Varsi.

Anyway, I doubt Holbrook will be remembered for this particular film but he has left a might fine legacy behind for generations to discover.

May he Rest In Peace.

"

Jones is sexy, sexy, sexy!  Varsi hysterical. You're right, this is not *the* work for which Holbrook will be remembered. Just a good excuse to rewatch it.

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#10Hal Holbrook Has Passed Away At 95
Posted: 2/2/21 at 8:39pm

There is an outstanding 5 part documentary on Apple TV called Visible: Out on Television where Hal talks about making That  Certain Summer and how he was strongly advised not to do it. If you are a gay baby boomer do not miss it. It makes you realize how much television has influence the rise and acceptance of gay culture.

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#11Hal Holbrook Has Passed Away At 95
Posted: 2/2/21 at 8:54pm

I'd suggest gays of any age should watch it.

justoldbill Profile Photo
justoldbill
#12Hal Holbrook Has Passed Away At 95
Posted: 2/3/21 at 11:20am

In 1970, he was in a summer stock production of CAMELOT.  It was originally billed as starring Richard Kiley and Sally Ann Howes.  Kiley got a better gig and backed out (a London LA MANCHA, I believe).  That moved Sally Ann to top-billing with replacement Holbrook as second-billed.  Needless to say, he mopped up the floor with her- I saw it three or four times, he was that good.  Of course, I also had the good fortune to see him often as Mark Twain.  He always met his fans afterwards in full Twain make-up and was incredibly gracious.

Well-well-well-what-do-you-think-of-that-I-have-nothing-here-to-pay-my-train-fare-with-only-large-bills-fives-and-sevens....
Updated On: 2/3/21 at 11:20 AM