pixeltracker

MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread- Page 5

MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread

MadsonMelo
#100MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 3/17/22 at 12:56pm

Hi, does Aaron has any schedule absence from April 1 to April 10? Thanks!

suicidalmickeymouse Profile Photo
suicidalmickeymouse
#101MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 3/23/22 at 11:36pm

I saw today Aaron will be out April 9 and 10.

Hunter: Your teeth need whitening./ Heidi: You sound weird./ Jeff: You taste funny.
-Jeff Bowen's worst onstage line flub.

Wayman_Wong
#102MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 3/24/22 at 12:42am

Any word on how much longer Aaron Tveit will be in ''Moulin Rouge!''? I imagine this must be his longest run on Broadway, and he's savoring his time, especially in his Tony-winning role. And I bet Aaron's doubly grateful for live theater after the COVID shutdown. No matter the show, he always gives 1,000%.

Updated On: 3/24/22 at 12:42 AM

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#103MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 3/24/22 at 11:30am

Wayman_Wong said: "Any word on how much longer Aaron Tveit will be in ''Moulin Rouge!''? I imagine this must be his longest run on Broadway, and he's savoring his time, especially in his Tony-winning role. And I bet Aaron's doubly grateful for live theater after the COVID shutdown. No matter the show, he always gives 1,000%."

We have our answer: 

On Sunday, May 8, we bid farewell to beloved Bohemians Aaron Tveit, Natalie Mendoza, Tam Mutu, and Ricky Rojas.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Wayman_Wong
#104MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 3/26/22 at 12:46am

I'm considering revisting ''Moulin Rouge!'' once or twice before Aaron Tveit, Natalie Mendoza, Tam Mutu and Ricky Rojas all leave on May 8. Scrolling through the month of April, I noticed that there are only 6 performances during the week of April 24, and it's dark on Saturday, April 30. Also, starting Sunday, April 24, and for the following 4 Sundays, the Sunday matinees will be at 5 p.m. Anyone know why?

MadsonMelo
#105MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 4/8/22 at 12:15am

I was so happy to see the show tonight, mainly for Tveit, which is one of first Broadway actors that I ever knew being a Brazilian teen.

The way you are immediately transported within the theater is perfect, I feel that the show flew by. Even numbers that I dont listen usually like “Chandelier”, were great.

This company is a 10, the “Roxanne” number was mesmerizing. Say what you want about Aaron, but he was giving me an Award winning performance for this role 

Its the kind of spectacle that only on Broadway you can see

Hairspray0901
#106MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 4/8/22 at 1:06am

You also got to see Tasia Jungbauer’s Satine debut!! How exciting! 

Ashley Loren is out with Covid for 10 days, per her Instagram stories.

MadsonMelo
#107MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 4/8/22 at 1:34am

Hairspray0901 said: "You also got to see Tasia Jungbauer’s Satine debut!! How exciting!

Ashley Loren is out with Covid for 10 days, per her Instagram stories.
"

I was with a friend and saw that she was the U/s and went like “can you imagine if this is her first performance?”

She did great, nervous at first, but act the hell outta the part, her 2nd act was amazing.

Funny thing: the other time I was in this theater, was also a debut for an Understudy in a leading role, Lola in Kinky Boots

everythingtaboo
#108MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 4/8/22 at 10:56am

What is Natalie's schedule like nowadays? Going back in two weeks, does she usually do Thursdays? I'd love to see Ashley again, assuming she's back and healthy from Covid.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

MadsonMelo
#109MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 4/8/22 at 11:02am

everythingtaboo said: "What is Natalie's schedule like nowadays? Going back in two weeks, does she usually do Thursdays? I'd love to see Ashley again, assuming she's back and healthy from Covid."

Ashley was supposed to do yesterday, so maybe shes Thursdays Satine?

ElephantLoveMedley
#110MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 4/8/22 at 11:02am

everythingtaboo said: "What is Natalie's schedule like nowadays? Going back in two weeks, does she usually do Thursdays? I'd love to see Ashley again, assuming she's back and healthy from Covid."

Natalie's attendance is, unfortunately, pretty horrible. However, to your point about trying to see Ashley—it's pretty much an unwritten standard now that Ashley goes on every Tuesday night for Satine. I'd say going on a Tuesday makes it a pretty strong chance you'll see her in the role.

pattilupony
#111MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 4/8/22 at 12:45pm

Natalie's attendance is, unfortunately, pretty horrible. However, to your point about trying to see Ashley—it's pretty much an unwritten standard now that Ashley goes on every Tuesday night for Satine. I'd say going on a Tuesday makes it a pretty strong chance you'll see her in the role."

Not unwritten at all - this is announced. Ashley is Satine every Tuesday and then the standby for the other shows. She announces if she's not going to be on on a given Tuesday. She does about half the shows these days but she is very good about posting on instagram a few hours before the show when she goes on so if you want to see her, everythingtaboo, you can just keep an eye out there.

everythingtaboo
#112MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 4/8/22 at 4:52pm

Just got the email blast with the casting announcement, and I loved this note at the end of it, acknowledging Ashley and Caleb.

A note from the producers:

The pandemic has highlighted understudies and alternates as the very backbone of the Broadway community. We are delighted that Ashley Loren and Caleb Marshall-Villarreal—key members of our company since we opened—who have played Satine and Santiago, respectively, on many occasions, will now assume those leading roles. We’re also pleased to welcome Derek Klena and Declan Bennett. These very talented leading men are outstanding additions to our Bohemian family.

Hairspray0901
#113MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 4/8/22 at 7:40pm

Tasia is on again tonight, per Instagram! 

BwayBeccaB Profile Photo
BwayBeccaB
#114MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 4/8/22 at 8:55pm

Hairspray0901 said: "Tasia is on again tonight, per Instagram!"

For those interested, I interviewed Tasia a few months ago, she is a gem and I'm thrilled she's getting to go on as Satine: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coI9RwN8nJM&t=2773s

Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/nz/podcast/backstage-with-becca-b-ep-103-with-tasia-jungbauer/id1527634247?i=1000548085742

Also worth watching or listening to are the interviews I did with Mia DeWeese and Maya Bowles. 

suicidalmickeymouse
#115MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 4/8/22 at 9:01pm

When is the last time Natalie performed? Hope she is okay. 

Hunter: Your teeth need whitening./ Heidi: You sound weird./ Jeff: You taste funny.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#116MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 4/8/22 at 9:05pm

She takes a lot of mental health and spiritual days off but sadly she's had a lot to deal with lately regarding family. 

Updated On: 4/9/22 at 09:05 PM

pattilupony
#117MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 4/15/22 at 12:34am

suicidalmickeymouse said: "When is the last time Natalie performed? Hope she is okay."

She's been posting on instagram about it - seems both her parents have been ill and she herself has had long covid and not been well. According to her post she's doing her better now and she's been in the show the last few days. Wishing her all the best, I fear she has gained a bad reputation from this but I am glad she's feeling better.

Ilovemusic3
#118MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 4/16/22 at 10:56am

Hi, does Aaron has any schedule absence Wednesday, April 20th? Does he usually play both Wednesday shows? Looking to see him on that day.

Thank you so much. I appreciate your help. 

suicidalmickeymouse
#119MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 4/16/22 at 11:39am

Aaron has great attendance and has no announced scheduled absences between now and his departure. Your odds are great! I understand your nerves, I am going the 23rd and am still nervous even though he’s got one of the best attendance records ever. 

everythingtaboo
#120MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 4/21/22 at 3:06pm

Seeing the show again tonight - fourth time, and tonight first row aisle! - and I see Bobby Daye is on for Zidler. Has anyone caught him in the role? Was hoping to see Eric again, but excited to see a new person in the role!

suicidalmickeymouse
#121MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 4/21/22 at 6:21pm

Let me know how he is! I’m going this weekend, curious who I will be seeing.

everythingtaboo
#122MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 4/22/22 at 1:29pm

Saw the show again last night, 4th time including Boston (last time #67,#92 on this thread) and was first row on the aisle orchestra right. It feels like a whole other show from up there, it can be a bit overwhelming to be surround in the movement and detail…and the bass, which I swear knocked my heart off a few beats it was so intense.

Second time seeing Ashley Loren, and she’s just fantastic. While I had some critiques last time, this time she was thoroughly wonderful. I feel like she's already full-time, given her performance schedule, so maybe what's why she really seems to just own the stage now. (And I'll be honest, I really wish that it was her vocals on the OBC, those vocals are outstanding.)

I think a lot of Ashley's fabulousness has to do with the pairing with the superstar Jessica Lee Goldyn as Nini. Her Nini is angrier, more hurting, with movements that somehow feel fluid and muscular at once. And she and Ricky Rojas are so hot together! Her presence onstage is electric, her body is incredible. I came in a fan of hers but I'm still stunned at how she's made that role uniquely hers. A true showstopper, glad to see her back on Broadway.

Aaron, as always, just delivers. Just amazes me each time. Maybe because I was closer up, I was so taken in my his acting, I feel like he's still finding little things in the role. Truly remarkable. And when he's close enough that I can actually hear him instead of through the speakers? Wow, even more goosebumps than usual. What a voice on him.

Bobby Daye is a pretty good Zidler! Where Danny and Eric immediately draw you in, feeling their presence even during the ensemble numbers, his Zidler takes a little while to warm up. (The inconsistent accent can be distracting.) But as Act 2 continues, he's very strong, from Chandelier on through the encore being some of his most memorable moments.

Haven't really mentioned Tam Mutu and Ricky Rojas much before, but I do feel that as their final weeks roll in, it's remarkable how much their characterizations have grown since Boston. They've both leaned into the relishing the heightened world of their characters a bit. It makes for so many fun little moments.

The ensemble  is on fire, let me tell you! How they have so much energy night after night, I'll never know! (Although I did it amusing some of the boys just couldn't hide how wiped they were by the time the bows came. Can't say I blame them!)

[My only real issue with the show remains Satine dying at full volume. Like, not even a stage whisper? How this remains a directorial voice mystifies me.]

Anyway, dammit I love this show. Can't wait to see it again, I'm excited to see what a new set of leads will bring to the show.

Question: does anyone know where the pre-show music comes from, or how to listen to it?

bwaylady3
#123MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 5/2/22 at 11:28am

Returned to NYC Saturday to see this show again before Aaron, Ricky, Tam and Natalie depart. It was also my first time seeing it since Robyn, Danny, Holly, Ericka and other ensemble members had left so I was curious to see their replacements as well. Had a great seat Saturday night (G105) but also scored a first time Can Can seat for the matinee. I've never seen any show 2x on the same trip, much less same day.  But wow, was it worth it!

This was my first time seeing Natalie having seen Karen and Ashley previously. Natalie absolutely brings a new perspective to the role and I really enjoyed her! She is so animated and funny. And while she does not have the consistent vocal power that Karen and Ashley have, to me, her acting is superior.   

Eric Anderson and Jessica Goldyn made their roles their own and were fantastic! If you missed the movie version of Zidler, you will love Eric's performance. He is over the top in the perfect way. And while I did miss Robyn's belt at times, Jessica is an amazing dancer and actress. Nini is in good hands. Tasia Jungbauer may be my favorite new addition. She is mesmerizing! I loved her portrayal as Arabia. And while I missed seeing the OGs, this ensemble continues to be amazing with Bahiyah and Kaitlin leading the way!

Tam, Ricky and Sahr gave two great performances. Sahr IS Toulous-Lautrec and IMO, had Danny not been in the mix, would have been my pick to win the Tony. I love his version of Nature Boy. Ricky is a force that will be greatly missed. He doesn't get enough props for his vocals but man, that guy can sing! Likewise, Tam gave a very strong and menacing performance. He hasn't always come off as a legit "bad guy" to me, but definitely did Saturday. 

Finally, Aaron...my god! Vocally, the man does not falter. But his evening show performance may have been his best overall performance I've ever witnessed. And after seeing that viral Tic Tok, to see his Roxanne "opt up" in person was well worth the price of admission. That last note shook the building and the house lost it. I also enjoyed his acting a lot. I think because of his tv/ film work, he is not as animated or over-expressive as some stage actors. He is also playing the "straight" to so many animated characters here that you don't always recognize how good he really is. It is 100% a Tony-worthy performance. 

If Saturday night's crowd is any indication, this last week will be one for the books. I can only imagine that these last 8 performances will be magical for those who are fortunate enough to attend. 

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#124MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 5/2/22 at 12:04pm

bwaylady3 said: "
Finally, Aaron...my god! Vocally, the man does not falter. But his evening show performance may have been his best overall performance I've ever witnessed. And after seeing that viral Tic Tok, to see his Roxanne "opt up" in person was well worth the price of admission. That last note shook the building and the house lost it. I also enjoyed his acting a lot.."

It is unfortunate the way the number is staged that he doesn't get the applause/appreciation he should. The last not gets me every time but then the quick set change and the show continues.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

Videos