pixeltracker

THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA Reopening Night Thread- Page 6

THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA Reopening Night Thread

MemorableUserName
#125THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 5/4/22 at 9:48am

suicidalmickeymouse said: "Just won the lotto for tomorrows matinee. Any intel on how Ben and John Riddle’s attendance have been? Big fans of them. This will be my first time seeing the show, I had to check it off my list finally!!"

Based on his Instagram stories, Riddle's been in London and Paris the past couple days. Not sure if he'll be back for tomorrow's shows.

ImAProphet
#126THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 5/4/22 at 9:52am

Huss417 said: "Has anyone tried this with TDF? I'm curious what the seats have been.I'm trying to get an idea of a Thursday Matinee

Thanks.
"

Multiple times, and I've never not gotten orchestra. Usually near the front (Rows A to F ish) but the "worst" I've gotten was Row R. Still not bad for $60.

Lottery will almost always get you the first couple of rows though. I would try that and do TDF if you lose.

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#127THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 5/4/22 at 10:19am

ImAProphet said: "Huss417 said: "Has anyone tried this with TDF? I'm curious what the seats have been.I'm trying to get an idea of a Thursday Matinee

Thanks.
"

Multiple times, and I've never not gotten orchestra. Usually near the front (Rows A to F ish) but the "worst" I've gotten was Row R. Still not bad for $60.

Lottery will almost always get you the first couple of rows though. I would try that and do TDF if you lose.
"

Appreciate the info. I went with TDF yesterday. I’ll wait and see what happens.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

suicidalmickeymouse Profile Photo
suicidalmickeymouse
#128THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 5/4/22 at 11:22am

MemorableUserName said: "suicidalmickeymouse said: "Just won the lotto for tomorrows matinee. Any intel on how Ben and John Riddle’s attendance have been? Big fans of them. This will be my first time seeing the show, I had to check it off my list finally!!"

Based on his Instagram stories, Riddle's been in London and Paris the past couple days. Not sure if he'll be back for tomorrow's shows.”

Good for him! Hope he’s having a lovely time. 

Good for h

Hunter: Your teeth need whitening./ Heidi: You sound weird./ Jeff: You taste funny.
-Jeff Bowen's worst onstage line flub.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#129THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 5/5/22 at 9:41am

suicidalmickeymouse said: "Just won the lotto for tomorrows matinee. Any intel on how Ben and John Riddle’s attendance have been? Big fans of them. This will be my first time seeing the show, I had to check it off my list finally!!"

You may get Jordan Donica instead of John Riddle, but I'd have no complaints about either. And IMHO, Ben Crawford is the best Phantom since Michael Crawford.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#130THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 5/5/22 at 9:47am

Lot666 said: "suicidalmickeymouse said: "Just won the lotto for tomorrows matinee. Any intel on how Ben and John Riddle’s attendance have been? Big fans of them. This will be my first time seeing the show, I had to check it off my list finally!!"

You may get Jordan Donica instead of John Riddle, but I'd have no complaints about either. And IMHO, Ben Crawford is the best Phantom since Michael Crawford.
"

That was the last time I saw the show was for Crawford’s final performance. At that point between UK and US I had seen it about 12 times all with original cast.

funny to be seeing it again with another Crawford in the role.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

MemorableUserName
#131THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 5/5/22 at 11:18am

Lot666 said: "suicidalmickeymouse said: "Just won the lotto for tomorrows matinee. Any intel on how Ben and John Riddle’s attendance have been? Big fans of them. This will be my first time seeing the show, I had to check it off my list finally!!"

"

Did Donica come back early? He was previously announced as returning on May 29.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#132THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 5/5/22 at 3:01pm

MemorableUserName said: "Did Donica come back early? He was previously announced as returning on May 29."

I don't know; I was just basing that on some else's comment that John Riddle was out.

ImAProphet
#133THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 5/5/22 at 3:20pm

No, Jordan Donica is supposed to be in Into the Woods at City Center right now but he's out with Covid.

Incidentally, Jason Forbach is going on for him. (In ITW, to clarify)

Updated On: 5/5/22 at 03:20 PM

suicidalmickeymouse Profile Photo
suicidalmickeymouse
#134THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 5/5/22 at 3:33pm

Ben and Emilie are on, and blowing my mind. First row is so much fun! So glad I am finally seeing this after so many years. 

Riddle is out as expected. He is listed as Raoul in the bio section, but in the cast list section Greg Mills (weekend)  and Paul Schaefer (weekday) are splitting the role.

Hunter: Your teeth need whitening./ Heidi: You sound weird./ Jeff: You taste funny.
-Jeff Bowen's worst onstage line flub.

Phantom4ever
#135THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 8/8/22 at 1:15am

I've now seen Phantom Broadway 8 times since reopening, and every time I notice something else that's new. I just saw both Saturday performances on August 6th, and this time I noticed the wardrobe mistress running out with the ballerinas during the Il Muto Act 3 ballet sequence.

I am starting to accept the new staging from the dressing room down to the lair, but I really don't like how the ballerinas are smiling and flirtatious as they run into Raoul. I think it would work better if they were somehow frightened of what happened to Christine too. The creepiest thing of all though, and I saw this so well from house left, 3rd row, is that as Phantom and Christine cross the travelator the 1st time, a strange man appears on the "2nd floor" entry onto the travelator stage left. He appears to possibly be wearing a Phantom mask, but it looks more like a full-headed white mask---so creepy!  Anyway, he stands there seemingly ready to enter when the travelator gets down to the second level, almost like he is a Phantom double like the original staging, but then he steps back and disappears!  Why was he standing there at all? Perhaps he was a stage manager? But then why the weird white mask?  Why is he in full view of the audience?  

On Saturday night, for the first time in 82 viewings, I saw the Phantom disappearance malfunction. When Meg pulled down the cover, Ben was just sitting there looking at her--so awkward! But he instantly popped back and the "back" of the chair went into place in front of him and it was so weird to think that he is sitting there entombed in this chair. At least some in the audience didn't notice because I overheard people wondering how they made the Phantom disappear into the chair....

hearthemsing22
#136THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 8/8/22 at 8:25am

Last week I saw Phantom from VERY close up (thx lottery!) and I could also see the chair trick. I could actually hear what was happening. 

but I also gained a whole new appreciation for the musical. Ben is just phenomenal. His “Music of The Night”…I think that was the best I’ve ever heard that sung. Gorgeous. Emilie is just a wonderful Christine. I need to go back :) 

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#137THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 8/11/22 at 4:15pm

Phantom4ever said: "as Phantom and Christine cross the travelator the 1st time, a strange man appears on the "2nd floor" entry onto the travelator stage left. He appears to possibly be wearing a Phantom mask, but it looks more like a full-headed white mask---so creepy!"

Are you sure this was during the title song? Just asking because there is (or was) a character referred to as "the rat catcher" who entered the travelator while Giry and Raoul were on it (just before Raoul jumps into the lake). Not sure if he's still in the show these days, but his costume was really odd-looking; I seem to recall him carrying what looked like a giant fly-swatter, something that made his head appear unusually large, and something strapped to his torso. Giry let out a very audible "Ooh!" when he brushed past them, on his way from one side of the bridge to the other.

Phantom4ever said: "When Meg pulled down the cover, Ben was just sitting there looking at her--so awkward! But he instantly popped back and the "back" of the chair went into place in front of him"

Wow! I've seen this show more than 100 times now, including Broadway, London, and various touring productions, but never when the throne malfunctioned. Is there a mechanism that pulls him into the back cavity of the chair? If not, I'm trying to figure out how he could just "pop" back.

Updated On: 8/11/22 at 04:15 PM

Latest Posts