pixeltracker

Jennifer Nettles on Waitress, Musical Theatre, and *almost* Elphaba

Jennifer Nettles on Waitress, Musical Theatre, and *almost* Elphaba

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#1Jennifer Nettles on Waitress, Musical Theatre, and *almost* Elphaba
Posted: 11/29/21 at 3:08pm

Nice New York Times profile on Jennifer Nettles, a conversation right before her final Waitress performance last week. I was surprised to read she was going to be Elphaba at one point!

"Around 12 years ago, I was going to do Elphaba in “Wicked” on tour and then make my way to Broadway. But I was dealing with a ton of acid reflux at the time, before we really knew that was such a thing for singers. I was really, really stressed and I pulled out because I didn’t know what was going on with my instrument. The right thing always happens at the right time, you know, and in 2015 I was able to enjoy going right to the Broadway stage in “Chicago.”

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

wish i were here2 Profile Photo
wish i were here2
#2Jennifer Nettles on Waitress, Musical Theatre, and *almost* Elphaba
Posted: 11/29/21 at 6:24pm

Oh wow! She would have made an amazing Elphaba.

Also, just did some quick math and 12 years ago would've been 2009, which was when the 2nd National Tour of Wicked opened, I wonder if she was supposed to be the first Elphaba on the Munchkinland Tour. :O

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#3Jennifer Nettles on Waitress, Musical Theatre, and *almost* Elphaba
Posted: 12/9/21 at 12:16am

Can’t wait to see her at Town Hall on Wednesday December 15th.  I loved her rendition of It All Fades Away (with Brandi Carlile) and Tomorrow.

VintageSnarker
#4Jennifer Nettles on Waitress, Musical Theatre, and *almost* Elphaba
Posted: 12/9/21 at 3:24pm

Melissa25 said: "Can’t wait to see her at Town Hall on Wednesday December 15th. I loved her rendition of It All Fades Away (with Brandi Carlile) andTomorrow."

Is she touring for Always Like New?

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#5Jennifer Nettles on Waitress, Musical Theatre, and *almost* Elphaba
Posted: 12/9/21 at 3:25pm

VintageSnarker said: "Melissa25 said: "Can’t wait to see her at Town Hall on Wednesday December 15th. I loved her rendition of It All Fades Away (with Brandi Carlile) andTomorrow."

Is she touring for Always Like New?
"

She is, it’s a mix of that album and Christmas music. Super excited for Wednesday!

VintageSnarker
#6Jennifer Nettles on Waitress, Musical Theatre, and *almost* Elphaba
Posted: 12/15/21 at 6:51pm

Thought this might be papering given how it was sold a couple days ago. Mad I missed the tickets but it's been a long day and it would have been a scramble. I hope everyone going enjoys it. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#7Jennifer Nettles on Waitress, Musical Theatre, and *almost* Elphaba
Posted: 12/15/21 at 6:54pm

Is her rendition with Brandi C. available anywhere? That sounds magical. 

OuttaTowner
#8Jennifer Nettles on Waitress, Musical Theatre, and *almost* Elphaba
Posted: 12/15/21 at 10:20pm

On the way home from the show. She was amazing - in wonderful voice. About 1/2 the show was Xmas, half Broadway and a couple of her country tunes thrown in for good measure. The house was about 80% full. My fave of the night was a sublime “Almost Like Being In Love,” and a gorgeous “It All Fades Away.”