pixeltracker

REAL WOMEN HAVE CURVES musical in development

REAL WOMEN HAVE CURVES musical in development

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#1REAL WOMEN HAVE CURVES musical in development
Posted: 12/1/21 at 10:07am

Barry and Fran Weissler, the producers of Chicago and Waitress, are now developing a musical adaptation of the acclaimed independent film Real Women Have Curves. Sergio Trujillo, who became the first Hispanic recipient of the Tony Award for Best Choreography for his work on Ain’t Too Proud, has been tapped to direct the show.

Lisa Loomer, who previously penned several plays about the Latino immigrant experience and body image issues, has signed on to write the script. She also wrote the screenplay for the star-studded film Girl, Interrupted, which producers Barbara Broccoli and Fred Zollo have been trying to turn into a Broadway musical with songs from Aimee Mann.

While the producers of Real Women Have Curves have not yet announced a timetable for the show, if it makes it to the Great White Way, then it would likely be the first Broadway musical with a Latine director, bookwriter, lyricist, and composer.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marchershberg/2021/11/30/landmark-latinx-film-to-be-adapted-into-broadway-musical/?sh=5017925d4af3

SomeOtherMe Profile Photo
SomeOtherMe
#2REAL WOMEN HAVE CURVES musical in development
Posted: 12/1/21 at 12:07pm

Super excited for this! Have loved the movie ever since I was young. It should be noted that the composers for this are Jesse & Joy, a very popular latin pop band. Very curious to see which scenes get musicalized.

My only concern is... Is this really right for Broadway? It's a very intimate play and film and unless they have a super innovative idea in mind... I can't see this really working in a huge Broadway house. Either way, I'll be keeping my eyes on this project and can't wait to hear casting news and music. Really hoping this ends up coming to fruition.

Updated On: 12/1/21 at 12:07 PM

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#3REAL WOMEN HAVE CURVES musical in development
Posted: 12/1/21 at 12:10pm

Didn’t realize this was a play prior to film! But I agree, the movie is fairly small. I had the same issue with Waitress, it got lost in even a small Broadway theatre. Clearly I’m in the minority with thinking that, but the show screamed off Broadway to me. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#4REAL WOMEN HAVE CURVES musical in development
Posted: 12/1/21 at 3:37pm

Sounds good but this is what made me gasp 

Girl, Interrupted, which producers Barbara Broccoli and Fred Zollo have been trying to turn into a Broadway musical with songs from Aimee Mann.”

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#5REAL WOMEN HAVE CURVES musical in development
Posted: 12/1/21 at 5:31pm

Aimee Mann is an unexpected choice. For years I was saying Amanda Palmer.

SomeOtherMe
PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#7REAL WOMEN HAVE CURVES musical in development
Posted: 12/7/22 at 12:04pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Sounds good but this is what made me gasp

Girl, Interrupted, which producers Barbara Broccoli andFred Zollo have been trying to turn into a Broadway musical with songs from Aimee Mann.”
"

I know your post is a year old, but in case you didn't catch this when it came out: Aimee released most of the material she wrote for the musical as a concept album called Queens of the Summer Hotel back in November 2021. It's absolutely incredible. Beautiful and heartbreaking stuff. The vinyl includes all of the lyrics written as a script with stage directions, character information, etc. that really demonstrates how she was thinking these songs would work on stage.

Updated On: 12/7/22 at 12:04 PM

SomeOtherMe
#8REAL WOMEN HAVE CURVES musical in development
Posted: 7/14/23 at 1:57pm

Saw a casting notice for this on social media saying this is opening at ART in October.

BETTY22
#9REAL WOMEN HAVE CURVES musical in development
Posted: 7/14/23 at 3:36pm

This sounds GREAT. 

SomeOtherMe
#10REAL WOMEN HAVE CURVES musical in development
Posted: 7/15/23 at 5:48pm

BETTY22 said: "This sounds GREAT."

Definitely one of the new shows that I'm most looking forward to.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#11REAL WOMEN HAVE CURVES musical in development
Posted: 7/15/23 at 7:57pm

PianoMann said: "Jordan Catalano said: "Sounds good but this is what made me gasp

Girl, Interrupted, which producers Barbara Broccoli andFred Zollo have been trying to turn into a Broadway musical with songs from Aimee Mann.”
"

I know your post is a year old, but in case you didn't catch this when it came out: Aimee released most of the material she wrote for the musical as a concept album calledQueens of the Summer Hotelback in November 2021. It's absolutely incredible. Beautiful and heartbreaking stuff. The vinyl includes all of the lyrics written as a script with stage directions, character information, etc. that really demonstrates how she was thinking these songs would work on stage.
"

Wait, but I just listened to this and why is it so good? Is the show just not adaptable for the stage? The music is gorgeous and love the orchestrations. Surely someone can make this work.