London -June/July 2022

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#75London -June/July 2022
Posted: 5/31/22 at 5:59pm

It seems in your mind that my referencing King, means he’s played as horrific. King writes many different kinds of characters, from slightly menacing to outright demonic. And one of the things that I love about this show, and I’ve always loved about the show, is that each of the roles can be played a myriad of different ways and none of them are wrong. Fra is playing it in a way I haven’t seen before, and I think works brilliantly.

But you said it’s amateurish to do it that way so I would really enjoy hearing your take on how he played the role, why it didn’t work for you, and why you think his choices were “amateurish”.

dshnookie Profile Photo
dshnookie
#76London -June/July 2022
Posted: 6/7/22 at 4:57pm

I booked my ticket for 2:22 this Friday night and may have time for a show Saturday night. Nothing is jumping out at me but don’t want to miss a hidden gem.

My only criteria is that it’s something unlikely to transfer to Broadway and it isn’t one of the bigger mainstays which I’ve already seen on Broadway.

Any recommendations? Thank you! 

jfreeman3
#77London -June/July 2022
Posted: 6/7/22 at 10:08pm

I highly recommend Back to the Future. The tech elements are insane and the music is a ton of fun. Recently I saw 15 shows in London and this was my favorite of them all! 

Have fun in London!

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#78London -June/July 2022
Posted: 6/7/22 at 11:54pm

I've read good things about Operation Mincemeat at Riverside Studios.  You never know what will seek a NYC transfer, and this hasn't yet transferred to a "west end" theatre.  It is based on a true historical UK military deception operation. Lots of four and five star reviews and positive comments on theatreboard.

Form the website:

Singin’ in the Rain meets Strangers on a Train, Noel Coward meets Noel Fielding, Operation Mincemeat is the fast-paced, hilarious and unbelievable true story of the twisted secret mission that won us World War II. The question is, how did a well-dressed corpse wrong-foot Hitler?

Operation Mincemeat Musical website

Updated On: 6/7/22 at 11:54 PM

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#79London -June/July 2022
Posted: 6/16/22 at 7:56pm

thank you to everyone that shared their ideas

Going to see:

Doll's House Part 2

The Glass Menagerie

The Seagull

This Is Not Who I Think I Am *** awaiting more twitter or proper reviews because everything I've read thus far hasn't been overly positive

Jack Absolute Flies Again

Patriots

Most of these shows haven't opened yet - also still curious somewhat about Mad House

52889j
#80London -June/July 2022
Posted: 6/16/22 at 10:44pm

VernonGersch said: "thank you to everyone that shared their ideas

Going to see:

Doll's House Part 2

The Glass Menagerie

The Seagull

This Is Not Who I Think I Am *** awaiting more twitter or proper reviews because everything I've read thus far hasn't been overly positive

Patriots

Most of these shows haven't opened yet - also still curious somewhat about Mad House
"

I saw the first preview of That is Not Who I Am. I enjoyed it for the most part. It runs on a huge gimmick that would be a spoiler to disclose, but I thought it worked. The actors are wonderful and there are a lot of genuine laughs. I don't know that all of it coheres and it feels a little overlong, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's been trimmed a bit since I saw it.

theaterdarling
#81London -June/July 2022
Posted: 6/17/22 at 9:28pm

VernonGersch said: "thank you to everyone that shared their ideas

Going to see:

Doll's House Part 2

The Glass Menagerie

The Seagull

Patriots

"

Oooo very curious about "Patriots" and glad it made your list. Please do send your thoughts after seeing. I believe it is Peter Morgan's first play since "The Audience." and certainly his first since his uber success with "The Crown."  If it does well at the Almeida, I would imagine it goes on to the West End, then Broadway, and on a fast track, hopefully, given Morgan's renown and the timeliness of its subject matter (Russian oligarchs). I also pray, if it transfers, it does so with the luscious Tom Hollander in tow. He was brilliant in the 2018 "Travesties" revival (robbed of Tony award) and I would love to see him on stage again.in something equally worthy of his talents.  Enjoy your trip.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#82London -June/July 2022
Posted: 6/17/22 at 11:15pm

We leave London on 3 July. Have tix to Bonnie & Clyde and Jerusalem. Transferred our Blonde tix to daughter who is finishing up her London stay (she liked it in general). So considering Mincemeat, Witness for Prosecution and &Juliet. I also may go solo to 2:22. We will try for day/lottery for Cabaret. 

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#83London -June/July 2022
Posted: 6/27/22 at 11:48am

Friday - 24 June - &Juliet - great seats, great price, great show.

Saturday, 25 June - Bonnie & Clyde. Posted thoughts elsewhere. Excellent, although my bride enjoyed it more than me.

Sunday 26 June - Madhouse "gala" premiere. Some very good things. Some not so good things. 3 stars (out of five). There was one performer whom I did not enjoy and that very much influenced how I felt about the show. And that person was not Pullman, Harbour or Henry (who were all terrific)  . 

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#84London -June/July 2022
Posted: 6/30/22 at 10:23am

Wednesday - 29 June - Matinee of Rise and Fall of Little Voice (tour but with Christine Bianco) at Richmond Theatre. Great old theatre. Solid play and solidly acted. Tour set was a problem and an issue. Play has the biggest monster of a mother I think I've ever seen. Makes Rose Havok look like Maria Von Trapp.

Wednesday, - 29 June - Evening: 2:22 A Ghost Story. Taut and compelling throughout with gut punch of an ending. And then when you think about it, it all starts to fall apart with unanswered questions, unclear motivations and plot holes. But, it's so well acted and presented that those only come after. Story and actors bring you along. I'd recommend it for a good priced seat. (I also got a seat for 30 GBP in Stalls row D with a mostly clear view (well, mostly because of the tall person in front of me) and moved to more central Row G for Act II. (Be wary of seating in Criterion - check Theatremonkey - as there are pillars which are allegedly partial or restricted views for discounted rates, but some say the view isn't that much restricted. I didn't chance it.

VernonGersch
#85London -June/July 2022
Posted: 6/30/22 at 7:03pm

Since A DOLL'S HOUSE PART 2 was cancelled I decided to see BACK TO THE FUTURE instead. As many have already remarked, great visuals and the chemistry between Roger and Olly is terrific but the music is so bland and unremarkable that it just weighs down the show. 

Glad I didn't pay Broadway prices for this.  They really could have done better.  

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#86London -June/July 2022
Posted: 7/2/22 at 12:13pm

Cabaret matinee on saturday 2 July. Beyond fabulous. Happy we splurged and made it a one show day

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#87London -June/July 2022
Posted: 7/2/22 at 12:20pm

The more I think on it, the more I think I preferred Fra & Amy over Eddie & Jessie. 

BIG BALONEY Profile Photo
BIG BALONEY
#88London -June/July 2022
Posted: 7/2/22 at 4:43pm

I also splurged on a full price ticket a few weeks ago. There were no discounts to be had. Cabaret was actually was the highlight of my 16 shows in London. The production was fresh and having it in that performance space made an ideal setting. I always liked the musical and was suprised how pleased I was this time around.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#89London -June/July 2022
Posted: 7/5/22 at 12:10pm

So I ended up seeing the Regent's Park Legally Blonde on Pride Weekend - I was looking forward to being part of this apparent train wreck but I must say I don't think it was THAT bad and some of the cast (e.g. Elle; Emmett; Paula [although a bit OTT at times]) was actually good. I just think if you imagine you're going to a London gay nightclub drag production of the show you would enjoy it. It's a little rough at points, the design is obscene, the humour is a bit OTT/**** but I kind of think that's the whole aesthetic. It's a very different culture to a New York comedy where everything is so perfect like a well oiled machine. As the years go on I must say I think Legally Blonde is a highly underrated show with an EXCELLENT score and funny book and I think the show deserves better but the material does lend itself to different takes because it doesn't take itself SO seriously. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

VernonGersch
#90London -June/July 2022
Posted: 7/11/22 at 3:26pm

If you find yourself in London this summer- some thoughts

Jack Absolute Flies Again - National Theatre has a huge soon to be hit on its hands.  This was hilarious - just so much fun.  Absolute excellent show that is sheer entertainment.  Lots of word play, breaking the forth wall and captivating stage design makes or a perfect night out.  I wasn't familiar at all with the cast and they were informally excellent. Sharp writing and meticulous direction elevates this show to a new level.  Super fun.  Go.  ****1/2

Cabaret - Lived up to the hype and then some for me.  Sprung for the table seats which was absolutely the right call I may not eat for a week but do it - what Fra Free and Amy Lennox and the entire ensemble do in the Kit Kat Club is theatrical brilliance.  I had see Fra in the Ferryman but wasn't all that familiar - what a talent.  Same with Amy.    Found the show to also be profoundly moving.  *****

The Seagull -  Had never seen or read the play (also not a Game Of Throne watcher oddly enough) but huge fan of Jamie Lloyd from Cyrano.  Found Indira Varma to be a revelation.   Both her work and Daniel Monks who I had only seen before in Teenage Dick (Donmar) provide masterful acting.  Emilia Clarke was also great .  Some riveting moments but at times felt like I took Xanax.  Lots of whispering...slow...at times the actors on stage are slumped into their chairs with their eyes closed.   Actually would have left at intermission but my friend wanted to stay just to see where the story was going.  Glad I did stay - second was short - but not something I'd recommend.  **1/2 

Back To The Future - visually stunning and fun but the music was the opposite of good.  Olly and Roger were really great - and had a ton of chemistry.  And again, the car, the visuals...**/12

Mad House - Enjoyed the first act quite a bit and thought David and Bill were fantastic.  The show sort of veers off a bit in the second act and as others have said, felt like August: Osage County a tad.  I had only seen Seminar so wasn't super familiar with Theresa's work (well, Smash not included)   An enjoyable enough afternoon ***

A Doll's House Part 2 - Hadn't seen it in NYC.  Watching Noma at Donmar was a masterclass in Acting.  The play still has me thinking.  ***

Wasn't able to make PATRIOTS as had to tickets to A DOLLS HOUSE that were rescheduled from the break 2 weeks ago when there was covid in the company