pixeltracker

The arrangement of "Little Shop of Horrors" for the 1986 film

The arrangement of "Little Shop of Horrors" for the 1986 film

rattleNwoolypenguin
#1The arrangement of "Little Shop of Horrors" for the 1986 film
Posted: 2/14/22 at 12:33pm

Does anyone ever feel like the musical arrangement for the song "Little Shop of Horrors" is so much punchier and exciting in the 1986 film? The use of brass especially is great. The intro in the stage version has always felt a little too laid back, especially those first couple bars.

I've always wondered why Alan Menken didn't apply that to the many arrangement changes he's made to the score.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#2The arrangement of "Little Shop of Horrors" for the 1986 film
Posted: 2/14/22 at 12:40pm

Bob Gaudio is responsible for the orchestrations and musical arrangements for the 1986 film adaptation, not Alan Menken. 

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#3The arrangement of "Little Shop of Horrors" for the 1986 film
Posted: 2/14/22 at 12:44pm

It’s the synths. Real honest to god walls of eighties studio synths as opposed to the thin, tinny onboard keyboard synths used in the original cast recording.

You can’t beat the gurgling synth bass and drum machine intro on “Dentist!”

rattleNwoolypenguin
#4The arrangement of
Posted: 2/14/22 at 12:46pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "Bob Gaudio is responsible for the orchestrations and musical arrangements for the 1986 film adaptation, not Alan Menken."

Ah interesting. So he might hold the rights to them. Cause I think that's what makes the movie's soundtrack so magnificent is it walks that line between 80's pop soundtrack and 60's throwback spector era with the arrangements (and with Bob, a bit of the Four Seasons)

You really can't beat that version of "Little Shop of Horrors" with Tichina, Tisha and Michelle Weeks. Every other recording it just sounds so thin and much slower. 

I wonder if any production has ever thought to overlay vocals for that song behind the live singers. It would sound so much better.

Updated On: 2/14/22 at 12:46 PM

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#5The arrangement of
Posted: 2/14/22 at 1:23pm

Yes, absolutely.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#6The arrangement of
Posted: 2/14/22 at 1:54pm

With all the rearrangements the score has had over the years, I'm shocked no production has yet used the "piano fades in over the slow organ wash of the Prologue, then suddenly explodes" hook from the film's opening number. It hits so hard like a punch in the gut when that beat finally hits!

rattleNwoolypenguin
#7The arrangement of
Posted: 2/14/22 at 3:08pm

darquegk said: "With all the rearrangements the score has had over the years, I'm shocked no production has yet used the "piano fades in over the slow organ wash of the Prologue, then suddenly explodes" hook from the film's opening number. It hits so hard like a punch in the gut when that beat finally hits!"

Exactly this. But perhaps as someone said here, that could've been Bob Gaudio's idea and Menken can't use it for the stage versions without paying him. 

Or my other thought is Menken maybe felt that opening didn't capture the "Da Doo Run Run/One Fine Day" esque openings of the sixties beehive era he wants for that song.

The way the score is written, it's like the front half is more 60's pastiche, and after Git It it lives more in 80's pop land

Updated On: 2/14/22 at 03:08 PM

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#8The arrangement of
Posted: 2/14/22 at 3:31pm

No other recorded version of the song can hold a candle, IMHO to the version arranged for the film. I went to see the film via a sneak preview in 1986 and when that song came on the audience was clapping along to the beat...it was and remains so infectious. Tichina, Michelle and Tisha SANG that song. 

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#9The arrangement of
Posted: 2/14/22 at 4:49pm

I think the original Off-Broadway recording more effectively aids in the creation of a "B-movie" mood. I think the film soundtrack is overproduced. No complaints on a technical level, it's quite beautifully realized. I just don't think it fits the mood of the piece as effectively. I'm surprised to hear the comment that the movie version seems "faster" because the Off-Broadway sounds more rapidly sung to me (and I'm not saying that because of the additional verse and musical bridges added for the film).

Fan123 Profile Photo
Fan123
#10The arrangement of
Posted: 2/17/22 at 3:11am

I don't know if this counts as part and parcel of the musical arrangements, but the 2003 cast recording does have the girl group sing the additional vocal section from the film ("Oh, here it comes baby" etc).

tourboi
#11The arrangement of
Posted: 2/21/22 at 5:58pm

joevitus said: "I think the original Off-Broadway recording more effectively aids in the creation of a "B-movie" mood. I think the film soundtrack is overproduced. No complaints on a technical level, it's quite beautifully realized. I just don't think it fits the mood of the piece as effectively. I'm surprised to hear the comment that the movie version seems "faster" because the Off-Broadway sounds more rapidly sung to me (and I'm not saying that because of the additional verse and musical bridges added for the film)."

I agree actually. The OOBC is my go-to. I don't listen to the film as much because I think it's "bigger" than I like the show to be, but that works for a movie adaptation (I prefer the show to the film). That said... I didn't love the current revival recording either. 

rattleNwoolypenguin
#12The arrangement of "Little Shop of Horrors" for the 1986 film
Posted: 2/22/22 at 10:44am

I mean if you're gonna adapt an off broadway rock show into a Hollywood movie musical that has a 75 piece orchestra always on-hand-  why wouldn't you deepen the arrangements?

I'm shocked to hear that people think the soundtrack is over produced. I think they only made it richer and brought Alan Menken's tunesmith qualities out stronger. 

Also so much of the score is riffing on Phil Spector Wall of Sound which by nature was purposely over produced- so it's very fitting that Bob Gaudio would cite that in his arrangements.

rattleNwoolypenguin
#13The arrangement of "Little Shop of Horrors" for the 1986 film
Posted: 2/22/22 at 10:47am

Also, people don't care for the revival from the 2000s recording?

I get people thinking to put this show on a broadway stage lost something, but the soundtrack is really lovingly done I thought and Kerry Butler finds her own Disney-esque Audrey voice well.

"Don't Feed the Plants" has never been more exciting. That is Alan Menken's best edit to the score. 

All the harmonies on that album are very crisp.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#14The arrangement of "Little Shop of Horrors" for the 1986 film
Posted: 2/22/22 at 11:12am

I love the 2000s recording myself.