pixeltracker

Abud, Butz, Peil and more to lead CORNELIA STREET musical off-Bway- Page 3

Abud, Butz, Peil and more to lead CORNELIA STREET musical off-Bway

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#50Abud, Butz, Peil and more to lead CORNELIA STREET musical off-Bway
Posted: 2/2/23 at 11:59am

WiCkEDrOcKS said: "Melissa25 said: "What was the choreography like? Curious as it says it is choreographed by Hope Boykin."

Virtually non-existent. And when it is, it's sloppily executed at best.
"

How'd you like that part toward the end of the first act where the woman who plays Butz's daughter does that insane freak out dance, screaming the same lyric over and over and over again as she flails about the stage shaking her hair all over the place. That was jaw droppingly awful. 

smidge2
#51Abud, Butz, Peil and more to lead CORNELIA STREET musical off-Bway
Posted: 2/2/23 at 12:19pm

Matt Rogers said: "WiCkEDrOcKS said: "Melissa25 said: "What was the choreography like? Curious as it says it is choreographed by Hope Boykin."

Virtually non-existent. And when it is, it's sloppily executed at best.
"

How'd you like that part toward the end of the first act where the woman who plays Butz's daughter does that insane freak out dance, screaming the same lyric over and over and over again as she flails about the stage shaking her hair all over the place. That was jaw droppingly awful.
"

YOU DO NOTHING! YOU DO NOTHING!

Just terrible.

Matt Rogers
#52Abud, Butz, Peil and more to lead CORNELIA STREET musical off-Bway
Posted: 2/2/23 at 12:31pm

I should also note that as a bunch of people were high-tailing it to the elevator at intermission to get the hell out of there, an usher yelled "Just a reminder that if you leave the theatre, there is no re-entry"....and then someone yelled back at her "Thank God!"

LOL. 

JoeW4 Profile Photo
JoeW4
#53Abud, Butz, Peil and more to lead CORNELIA STREET musical off-Bway
Posted: 2/4/23 at 11:07am

Sadly joining the chorus of nay-sayers on this one. A massive misfire.

Posted my thoughts here (and even with these criticisms, I was pulling some punches)

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#54Abud, Butz, Peil and more to lead CORNELIA STREET musical off-Bway
Posted: 2/4/23 at 12:58pm

oh I disagree with the naysayers –– this is a worthy new work, and the vibes of the restaurant in which it's set are immaculate.

It might have been better as a straight play, or a play with songs, and it's not particularly well directed by Neil Pepe (who cast his daughter is in it, and she might be giving the worst performance I've seen on stage in the past year). But it's an interesting premise, and Norbert is giving a flawless, deeply nuanced performance.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#55Abud, Butz, Peil and more to lead CORNELIA STREET musical off-Bway
Posted: 2/5/23 at 12:23pm

So, between the holidays, traveling, family stuff, and just general life stuff, I haven't been to a show in a minute. I was very excited to see this show yesterday because I love the Atlantic Theater and many of the shows they produce. Little did I know.......

I loved the set, it was lovely and charming. And then show started. I love NLB and he carries this show the entire time (Big Fish Energy!) but him trying to save this Titantic-sized bomb for 2 hours and 20 minutes was almost too much to bear. Perhaps, the director just phoned it in (literally) and was never actually there/met with anyone/had any communication of any kind because it was truly directionless. The woman next to me just said the word "aimless" at the end of the show. Spot on. 

Some people left during intermission, but it wasn't this mass exodus of people. I found the second act to be much better than the first, which isn't saying much (trust) but still there was no where to go but up! The cab driver's song! "You do NOTHING!" The tuba! The worst performance by an actress Ive ever seen! Whew!

Yeah, the hottest of garbage and the biggest of dumpster fires. GREAT SET THO!!!! heart

RUkiddingme
#56Abud, Butz, Peil and more to lead CORNELIA STREET musical off-Bway
Posted: 2/6/23 at 1:32pm

I don't get the extreme hatred for this show! Maybe my expectations were low - $25 for a show at a non profit theater's secondary space.

It's a mess but I was never bored.

Norbert is doing great work!  As are some others in the cast.

I liked most of the music - lyrics weren't as good.

Is this gonna transfer to Broadway and win a Pulitzer?  No.

Am I glad I saw it?  Yes.

Matt Rogers
#57Abud, Butz, Peil and more to lead CORNELIA STREET musical off-Bway
Posted: 2/6/23 at 6:03pm

When does this thing actually open? 

TNick926 Profile Photo
TNick926
#58Abud, Butz, Peil and more to lead CORNELIA STREET musical off-Bway
Posted: 2/7/23 at 9:51am

It "opens" on February 14. Closes March 5.

yyys
#59Abud, Butz, Peil and more to lead CORNELIA STREET musical off-Bway
Posted: 2/11/23 at 6:04pm

Saw it this afternoon. I can live with the music but the book is terrible, just a lot of awkward moments. It would've been really realty terrible if it was just a straight play without music.

Ptero2
#60Abud, Butz, Peil and more to lead CORNELIA STREET musical off-Bway
Posted: 2/12/23 at 5:35pm

Well, that was something. The "YOU DO NOTHING" scene definitely encroached on "so bad it's good" territory. Can't believe no one was like... hmmm yeah we need to rework that one.

Matt Rogers
#61Abud, Butz, Peil and more to lead CORNELIA STREET musical off-Bway
Posted: 2/13/23 at 6:28pm

Ptero2 said: "Well, that was something. The "YOU DO NOTHING" scene definitely encroached on "so bad it's good" territory. Can't believe no one was like... hmmm yeah we need to rework that one."

It’s impossible to unsee. It’s like the pig blood dance from the original Carrie. Well, maybe not that bad, but good lord - someone actually directed and choreographed that ridiculous hair shaking dance and thought it was a good idea??? 

DCDrama2
#62Abud, Butz, Peil and more to lead CORNELIA STREET musical off-Bway
Posted: 2/17/23 at 2:37pm

I have two tickets to tomorrow's matinee if anyone is interested. Row F, center. I paid $100 each but I'll take offers.

BoringBoredBoard40
#63Abud, Butz, Peil and more to lead CORNELIA STREET musical off-Bway
Posted: 2/17/23 at 4:21pm

beyond bizarre to me that so many notable people got trapped in such a obvious dumpster fire

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#64Abud, Butz, Peil and more to lead CORNELIA STREET musical off-Bway
Posted: 2/17/23 at 4:37pm

"trapped in such a obvious dumpster fire"

These things are not usually obvious at the start. Stephens is an exciting and important playwright. For a certain kind of music fan, Eitzel is a legend. It's easy to image folks wanting to work with these artists regardless of the finished product.

Jesus saves. I spend.

AllThatJazz2
#65Abud, Butz, Peil and more to lead CORNELIA STREET musical off-Bway
Posted: 2/18/23 at 11:20pm

Supposed to see the show tomorrow night. Got an email this afternoon that the performance was canceled due to COVID in the company and our seats will be refunded. 

JoeyEvans1206
#66Abud, Butz, Peil and more to lead CORNELIA STREET musical off-Bway
Posted: 2/19/23 at 8:53pm

Performances are cancelled for the rest of the week due to covid cases. 

Updated On: 2/21/23 at 08:53 PM

All So Ozmopolitan
#67Abud, Butz, Peil and more to lead CORNELIA STREET musical off-Bway
Posted: 2/28/23 at 3:02pm

Anyone know if there are scheduled (or Covid-related) cast changes? It seem like the only reason to see this is because of some of the cast members.