pixeltracker

March Trip-Restaurant Recommendations

March Trip-Restaurant Recommendations

NOLAguy
#1March Trip-Restaurant Recommendations
Posted: 1/8/23 at 5:22pm

I will be in the city March 9-13th. I will be seeing Camelot Friday night, Kimberly Akimbo Saturday matinee, Sweeney Todd Saturday evening, and for nostalgia Wicked (haven’t seen it in 16 years and want to revisit it as it was my first broadway show ever) Sunday evening. I have dinner reservations for Cafe Fiorello near the Vivian Beaumont before Camelot (if y’all have any opinions on that restaurant and recommend somewhere else please let me know.) 

Anyone know of a good restaurant, one that preferably has bar seating as I will be on a solo trip, near the Gershwin before the 7:00 performance of Wicked? Preferably not Italian because I already have an rsvp at an Italian restaurant that Thursday evening when I arrive to the city. Maybe a good Indian restaurant or something thai? 

Thanks! So excited to be back in the city and back to Broadway! 

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#2March Trip-Restaurant Recommendations
Posted: 1/8/23 at 5:50pm

Toloache is a really good Mexican restaurant right next to the theatre on 50th.

Obao is a really good (and very speedy) Thai/Asian Fusion restaurant on 9th ave and 45th. It's a bit further than Toloache, but not far at all. It's closer to Akimbo and Sweeney Todd too, if you need somewhere before or between those shows. 

Both have bar seating!  

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#3March Trip-Restaurant Recommendations
Posted: 1/8/23 at 7:43pm

NOLAguy said: "I will be in the city March 9-13th. I will be seeing Camelot Friday night, Kimberly Akimbo Saturday matinee, Sweeney Todd Saturday evening, and for nostalgia Wicked (haven’t seen it in 16 years and want to revisit it as it was my first broadway show ever) Sunday evening. I have dinner reservations for Cafe Fiorello near the Vivian Beaumont before Camelot (if y’all have any opinions on that restaurant and recommend somewhere else please let me know.)

Anyone know of a good restaurant, one that preferably has bar seating as I will be on a solo trip, near the Gershwin before the 7:00 performance of Wicked? Preferably not Italian because I already have an rsvp at an Italian restaurant that Thursday evening when I arrive to the city. Maybe a good Indian restaurant or something thai?

"

Cafe Fiorello is great. 2 other suggestions close by are: The Smith or Rosa Mexicano are terrific! As for bar seating close to Wicked: Joe Allen (best burgers) or Saar-Indian, PS Kitchen - Vegan (delicious) are great choices! Have fun. 

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 1/8/23 at 07:43 PM

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#4March Trip-Restaurant Recommendations
Posted: 1/8/23 at 7:47pm

NOLAguy said: "I will be in the city March 9-13th. I will be seeing Camelot Friday night, Kimberly Akimbo Saturday matinee, Sweeney Todd Saturday evening, and for nostalgia Wicked (haven’t seen it in 16 years and want to revisit it as it was my first broadway show ever) Sunday evening. I have dinner reservations for Cafe Fiorello near the Vivian Beaumont before Camelot (if y’all have any opinions on that restaurant and recommend somewhere else please let me know.)

"

I keep trying to reply to this with some recommendations but every time it gets flagged as Spam. I'll keep trying but in the meantime I say...Toloache, Cafe Luxembourg, and Qi.

yyys
#5March Trip-Restaurant Recommendations
Posted: 1/8/23 at 9:05pm

Qi went out of business.

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#6March Trip-Restaurant Recommendations
Posted: 1/8/23 at 10:34pm

Oh no…then try Pongsri on 48th and 8th for very good Thai. 

OMG U Guyz
#7March Trip-Restaurant Recommendations
Posted: 1/9/23 at 3:07am

The Gershwin is a little further uptown - the palm

is across the street but you can eat at the bar, there’s also a good Korean place on 52nd between 8th and 9th called Danji ( u can also eat at the bar there just get there early since it’s teeny) there’s also The Meatball Shop, Westville and Wondee Siam on 9th ave between 52nd and 53rs. 

Keiichi2 Profile Photo
Keiichi2
#8March Trip-Restaurant Recommendations
Posted: 1/9/23 at 8:31am

I will be in NY March 9th to the 12th, and will be at the same performances as you for Camelot and Kimberly Akimbo. (I'm seeing Sweeney Thursday night.)

As for bar seating close to Wicked, I second Joe Allen's. I haven't been there for a while, but plan to go back this trip. I don't know if it's still the same way, but back when I went there regularly, you had to wait until a week before to make a reservation (which are highly recommended there).

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#9March Trip-Restaurant Recommendations
Posted: 1/9/23 at 10:04am

jkcohen626 said: "Toloache is a really good Mexican restaurant right next to the theatre on 50th.

Obao is a really good (and very speedy) Thai/Asian Fusion restaurant on 9th ave and 45th. It's a bit further than Toloache, but not far at all. It's closer to Akimbo and Sweeney Todd too, if you need somewhere before or between those shows.

Both have bar seating!
"

Obao is a favorite of mine. Probably the best Drunken Noodles I have ever had. 

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.