pixeltracker

PARADE 2023 Broadway Cast Recording Thread- Page 3

PARADE 2023 Broadway Cast Recording Thread

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#50PARADE 2023 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 3/27/23 at 10:31am

I think it’s a good album, but I also have an issue with the mixing. It sounds very hollow to me. Also, Diamond sounds better in the theater. I actually think Platt sounds great on the album. 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#51PARADE 2023 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 3/27/23 at 12:44pm

What a lovely cast recording, everyone sounds great and I'm grateful it exists. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#52PARADE 2023 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 3/27/23 at 1:03pm

I’m curious why Interscope decided to release this album, when they’ve never released a Broadway cast recording before. Probably because they worked with Platt on the Dear Evan Hansen film soundtrack. 

Oh look, a bibu!

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#53PARADE 2023 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 3/27/23 at 4:50pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "I’m curious why Interscope decided to release this album, when they’ve never released a Broadway cast recording before. Probably because they worked with Platt on theDear Evan Hansen film soundtrack."

Could be. I’m bummed there’s no digital booklet.

broadwayboy223
#54PARADE 2023 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 3/27/23 at 5:55pm

To echo the other sensible brains (with good ears) there are indeed very weird mixing issues on this album. I also don't get why Michaela is so breathy. Her voice sounded much more resonant and full live. 

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#55PARADE 2023 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 3/27/23 at 6:50pm

Sound quality can depend heavily on what you're using to listen as well as the quality of your streaming service or download. I think the album sounds pretty good except for Real Big News when it seems the orchestra is overpowering the vocals but it's just that one track for whatever reason. I adore Jay so it's kind of a bummer that it's that one track for me.

rattleNwoolypenguin
#56PARADE 2023 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 3/28/23 at 3:47pm

I think it's a solidly mixed bag. The elders in the show sound the best and "This is Not Over Yet" is solid.

Overall it doesn't have the power and punch of the original recording. (Really couldn't stand the vocal choices of the young soldier solo in this Old Red Hills)

And it made me realize how unique and haunting Brent's original vocals were.

It isn't terrible, but as a recording I didn't feel like it improved upon anything. I don't feel like I'm getting any crisper of a recording than the original even.

Updated On: 3/28/23 at 03:47 PM

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#57PARADE 2023 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 3/28/23 at 5:35pm

I listened to the album on Apple Music (lossless) with AirPods Pro (I also listened to some of it on a Dolby Atmos-capable soundbar). I have to agree with the people who say this is a mixed bag with weird/rushed sound mixing. I think the biggest problem with the way this was mixed is that it offers no space; the orchestra is flat but the solo singers are right on top of you, so it doesn’t give you room to breathe or offer any sense of range or dynamic. The cast sounds uneven with some of the featured characters coming out on top. I haven’t seen the show yet, but I can tell that it probably sounds much better live, and that’s not what you’d want from a cast album. Sadly, nothing improves upon the original recording for me with far superior vocal performances from Brent Carver, Carolee Carmello, and the actor who plays the Young Soldier.

Plexsis
#58PARADE 2023 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 4/28/23 at 9:03am

CD copy up for pre-order at Amazon 

Parade 2023 Broadway Cast Recording https://a.co/d/da7BXlJ

binau Profile Photo
binau
#59PARADE 2023 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 4/28/23 at 9:14am

I personally think Ben Platt’s vocal performance on CD is as good as the theatre and the strongest on record of the 3 Parade recordings. He also sounded excellent in the theatre (can’t say the same with Evan where I thought he was vocally tired by the time I saw him). I thought Diamond sounded a little stronger in the theatre than on CD and it doesn’t help that Carmello has virtuosic vocals that Diamond could never match, but she is a great actress of course (and singer too but not next to Carmello).  

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Videos