Question about possible strike

icb7
#1Question about possible strike
Posted: 5/18/23 at 7:35pm

Hello! I will visit NYC at the end of June for a couple of weeks to see some shows. I read that SAG-AFTRA negotiations with the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers begin June 7 and union members will vote to authorize a strike should it be deemed necessary. I know no one can see the future, but if negotiations go south and a strike ends up happening does that mean that Broadway shows will shut down? I of course support the union and hope they get a fair deal, but I want to plan ahead because airfare from South America and accommodation in NYC is not cheap. 

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#2Question about possible strike
Posted: 5/18/23 at 8:13pm

SAG-AFTRA has stated that any actor currently working on a continuing project must continue honoring their work contract there Broadway shows will continue as will the actors performing in them.

The current writer’s strike only shut down productions in pre-production stages. Any shows or films that had/have completed scripts continue production. Projects that writers were still working on are all on pause due to the strike.  

rubytuesday Profile Photo
rubytuesday
#3Question about possible strike
Posted: 5/18/23 at 9:19pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "SAG-AFTRA has stated that any actor currently working on a continuing project must continue honoring their work contract there Broadway shows will continue as will the actors performing in them.

The current writer’s strike only shut down productions in pre-production stages. Any shows or films that had/have completed scripts continue production. Projects that writers were still working on are all on pause due to the strike.
"

I believe the OP is inquiring about SAG-AFTRA's upcoming negotiations for their own contract, not SAG-AFTRA's response to the WGA strike. I'd like to hear the answer to the OP's question myself.

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#4Question about possible strike
Posted: 5/18/23 at 9:40pm

It will have no impact on Broadway. Broadway actors are in Actors Equity. Even if they are also in SAG-AFTRA, that has no bearing on any current or future Broadway productions. It just means they can't do TV or film work. The only reason the Tonys are caught in the crosshairs is because WGA writers usually write for the Tonys themselves. It has nothing to do with Broadway productions at any stage of development.

Updated On: 5/18/23 at 09:40 PM

Ensemble1686198255
#5Question about possible strike
Posted: 6/8/23 at 5:26am

There won't be any change on the Broadway scene. Actors Equity is comprised of Broadway actors. Their membership in SAG-AFTRA makes no difference to their ability to work on Broadway. No longer can they work in the television or film industries. Only because WGA writers typically write for the Tonys themselves are they embroiled in the crossfire. Nothing to do with in-development or completed Broadway shows.

basketball stars

Updated On: 6/9/23 at 05:26 AM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#6Question about possible strike
Posted: 6/8/23 at 7:29am

Apples and oranges. Sag/aftra, while they share many members,  have totally different jurisdiction.  Bway won't be affected in any way. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

MollyJeanneMusic
#7Question about possible strike
Posted: 6/20/23 at 7:07pm

Question - what about shows where actors appear "courtesy of SAG-AFTRA?"  I remember seeing My Fair Lady and noticing that Harry Hadden-Paton was credited as such - if their Broadway gig is through SAG and not Equity, would it impact things if SAG were to strike?  Are there even any shows currently running where there are performers working through SAG as opposed to Equity?  Or is this all a moot point?

"I think that when a movie says it was 'based on a true story,' oh, it happened - just with uglier people." - Peanut Walker, Shucked

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#8Question about possible strike
Posted: 6/20/23 at 7:27pm

MollyJeanneMusic said: "Question - what about shows where actors appear "courtesy of SAG-AFTRA?" I remember seeing My Fair Lady and noticing that Harry Hadden-Paton was credited as such - if their Broadway gig is through SAG and not Equity, would it impact things if SAG were to strike? Are there even any shows currently running where there are performers working through SAG as opposed to Equity? Or is this all a moot point?"

Re-read that playbill and get back to us!

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement