pixeltracker

Brandon Uranowitz would've been better as Leo Frank

Brandon Uranowitz would've been better as Leo Frank

BeingAlive44Ever
#1Brandon Uranowitz would've been better as Leo Frank
Posted: 5/27/23 at 10:41pm

I mean, I think Ben Platt did a great job and his performance shows an incredible range, and he was definitely the safest bet for the role as far as publicity and mainstream attention go...

But

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O18IhTba370

Brandon Uranowitz would have completely killed that role

With his roaring but natural vibrato and his huge climaxes

I really think he could do so much better than Ben Platt at it

In fact I'm willing to bet that he auditioned, if Ben Platt wasn't just directly chosen with no audition. 

Edit: I was going to add in that Ben Platt in a Bass-Baritone role is odd, but I always forget he's just a baritone with a very bright tone. It's easy to mix them up with tenors but I think the real reason I don't like him as Leo Frank is just because I really do feel like Brandon Uranowitz should've played the role and would've played it better. Please note that I'm extremely biased.

... Towards Ben Platt. 

Look at my username. 

I'm in love with Dear Evan Hansen. 

But nah Brandon Uranowitz would've been way better.

Updated On: 5/28/23 at 10:41 PM

BorisTomashevsky
#2Ben Platt was Miscast as Leo Frank
Posted: 5/27/23 at 10:48pm

Sorry but he’s pitchy as hell in that video. Not even sure he could make it through 8 shows a week.

I think the role is in the safest hands currently.

Will3700 Profile Photo
Will3700
#3Ben Platt was Miscast as Leo Frank
Posted: 5/27/23 at 11:26pm

I 100% disagree I just got out of the show and Ben was perfect in the role IMHO. It was an amazing performance by him and the entire cast I can’t imagine anyone else in the role. But I am a huge Ben Platt fan so there’s that 😇

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#4Ben Platt was Miscast as Leo Frank
Posted: 5/28/23 at 12:34am

Uranowitz wasn't available since he's been in LEOPOLDSTADT since September 2022.

Remember that the PARADE revival was really due to New York City Center reviving it for a week back in early November 2022. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#5Ben Platt was Miscast as Leo Frank
Posted: 5/28/23 at 12:51am

I'm not a Platt fan, but this revival would have never happened without his involvement. So I can congratulate him for employing a ton of people and giving this show (and important story) some legs and recognition. Now, with its success, maybe it'll tour.

yyys
#6Ben Platt was Miscast as Leo Frank
Posted: 5/28/23 at 12:54am

they're not gonna sell any tix if Uranowitz played Leo Frank...

PipingHotPiccolo
#7Ben Platt was Miscast as Leo Frank
Posted: 5/28/23 at 1:06am

Even if you don't like Platt in this (I did), and even if you think someone else would do a good/better job (certainly possible), to say he was MISCAST sorta renders the whole conversation kinda silly. He disappears into the role, and certainly sells Out of Place Brooklynite Stuck in Atlanta as well as anyone else. 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#8Ben Platt was Miscast as Leo Frank
Posted: 5/28/23 at 2:55am

I thought it was an incredible, Tony-winning performance and the quality of his vocals and acting up there with any of my favourite greats (eg Bernadette Peters or Donna Murphy). I know people like to hate on him all the time and I guess I really have only enjoyed his work in DEH and Parade but I do think there is something very special there. He has that X factor that’s hard to describe or identify. Where it feels he is truly transcending and getting lost in those roles and you don’t feel that you are watching someone act. You feel you are watching the character. It’s a whole different league to insert whatever actor who may be on paper more brilliant in every way but just doesn’t bring what Ben brings. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Impeach2017 Profile Photo
Impeach2017
#9Ben Platt was Miscast as Leo Frank
Posted: 5/28/23 at 5:17am

Thank you for your input, Mrs. Uranowitz.  

The Other One
#10Ben Platt was Miscast as Leo Frank
Posted: 5/28/23 at 9:50am

Ben was good, Brandon is otherwise employed: good for both of them!

I saw Parade yesterday.  It's good, though it seems to be missing something that I can't quite put my finger on.  The most dynamic performance was given by understudy Prentiss E. Mouton as Jim Conley.

Ensemble1680343767
#11Ben Platt was Miscast as Leo Frank
Posted: 5/28/23 at 9:57am

BeingAlive44Ever said: "I mean, I think he did a great job and it shows an incredible range."

That coupled with the fact that he was just Tony nominated for the role is pretty antithetical to the idea of him being "miscast" imo. I think he's doing some career great work. That being said, I could ALSO see Brandon doing something wonderful with the role. But just because he could also play the part beautifully doesn't mean Ben is miscast.

musikman Profile Photo
musikman
#12Ben Platt was Miscast as Leo Frank
Posted: 5/28/23 at 9:57am

Leo Frank, bass-baritone role ? Lol.  He has one or two lines in “come up to my office” that sit in a low register (for character purposes), but that’s really about it.  

Sure, Brandon likely would have been great, but as others have said, would not have sold any tickets.   I also believe Ben Platt is giving an exceptional performance, with his usual mannerisms lending themselves to the character quite well.  

-There's the muddle in the middle. There's the puddle where the poodle did the piddle."

spicemonkey
#13Ben Platt was Miscast as Leo Frank
Posted: 5/28/23 at 10:06am

I liked Ben Platt as Leo Frank, but somehow I still saw Evan Hansen from his acting (?)

But when I saw Max Chernin in the role, I was blown away.

I remember someone said if Parade won best revival, they would extend to the end of the year. I hope they win and extend. I wanna see Max play Leo Frank again and again and again 

Broadway61004
#14Ben Platt was Miscast as Leo Frank
Posted: 5/28/23 at 10:54am

Uranowitz is also 5 years older than Leo was when he died, which of course isn't a huge deal (Brent Carver was even older in the original) but I also feel Uranowitz reads closer to 40 than 30.

BeingAlive44Ever
#15Ben Platt was Miscast as Leo Frank
Posted: 5/28/23 at 10:55am

A lot of people make very valid points and are right about a lot of stuff. 

Somebody said Uranowitz was pitchy, and I kind of agree but I think that roughness fits the role, and also I'm pretty sure he was crying so he might've had allergies or something 

I think that with a few rehearsals he could be really amazing for the role

Also Leo Frank is a bass-baritone role because he sings in the baritone register with a handful of especially low notes, Ben Platt handles it well all things considered. 

Also, I don't really have a problem with Platt as Leo Frank, I think he did a rather good job, but I don't think he really brought anything I haven't seen before. I think that it's all fine and cool that he made the revival even possible, but I'm sure he and others could recognize others could and would play the role better. 

I guess Uranowitz was doing Leopoldstadt, though, which I don't know how I forgot about. 

What I really mean to say is

I wish Uranowitz could play Leo Frank at some point in time.

Updated On: 5/28/23 at 10:55 AM

BeingAlive44Ever
#16Ben Platt was Miscast as Leo Frank
Posted: 5/28/23 at 10:56am

Impeach2017 said: "Thank you for your input, Mrs. Uranowitz."

I understand the joke and this is actually very funny, but as a self proclaimed stickler I would like to point out that Brandon Uranowitz is gay. 

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#17Ben Platt was Miscast as Leo Frank
Posted: 5/28/23 at 11:03am

BeingAlive44Ever said: "Impeach2017 said: "Thank you for your input, Mrs. Uranowitz."

I understand the joke and this is actually very funny, but as a self proclaimed stickler I would like to point out that Brandon Uranowitz is gay.
"

Mrs. Uranowitz is his mother.

BeingAlive44Ever
#18Ben Platt was Miscast as Leo Frank
Posted: 5/28/23 at 11:04am

TaffyDavenport said: "BeingAlive44Ever said: "Impeach2017 said: "Thank you for your input, Mrs. Uranowitz."

"

"

No Mrs. Uranowitz is me 

inception Profile Photo
inception
#19Ben Platt was Miscast as Leo Frank
Posted: 5/28/23 at 11:05am

Hey mods, have you ever considered making it so people can't just immediately start threads as soon as they join?  Like a the waiting period have to go through before they buy a handgun in some places.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#20Ben Platt was Miscast as Leo Frank
Posted: 5/28/23 at 11:06am

BeingAlive44Ever said: "TaffyDavenport said: "BeingAlive44Ever said: "Impeach2017 said: "Thank you for your input, Mrs. Uranowitz."

"

"

No Mrs. Uranowitz is me

"

Huh?

BeingAlive44Ever
#21Ben Platt was Miscast as Leo Frank
Posted: 5/28/23 at 11:06am

Ensemble1680343767 said: "BeingAlive44Ever said: "I mean, I think he did a great job and it shows an incredible range."

That coupled with the fact that he was just Tony nominated for the role is pretty antithetical to the idea of him being "miscast" imo. I think he's doing some career great work. That being said, I could ALSO see Brandon doing something wonderful with the role. But just because he could also play the part beautifully doesn't mean Ben is miscast.

"

Let me cue you in on something 

I used the word "miscast" because people wouldn't respond if I said something else

But honestly you're right

Everybody is kind of right he wasn't "miscast"

And yeah there's no was Uranowitz could do it since he's doing Leopoldstadt, which he's amazing in 

BeingAlive44Ever
#22Ben Platt was Miscast as Leo Frank
Posted: 5/28/23 at 11:08am

musikman said: "Leo Frank, bass-baritone role ? Lol. He has one or two lines in “come up to my office” that sit in a low register (for character purposes), but that’s really about it.

Sure, Brandon likely would have been great, but as others have said, would not have sold any tickets. I also believe Ben Platt is giving an exceptional performance, with his usual mannerisms lending themselves to the character quite well.
"

Yeah there's no way anybody other than me would pay to see Uranowitz specifically

Ben Platt is a very recognizable actor on Broadway, which is a huge factor in his favor

BeingAlive44Ever
#23Ben Platt was Miscast as Leo Frank
Posted: 5/28/23 at 11:09am

inception said: "Hey mods, have you ever considered making it so people can't just immediately start threads as soon as they join? Like a the waiting period have to go through before they buy a handgun in some places."

That's a great idea actually what made you think of it

Was it my extremely ill thought out topic that has no reason to be on the same page as actual forums

MemorableUserName
#24Ben Platt was Miscast as Leo Frank
Posted: 5/28/23 at 2:26pm

After reading this thread I was looking at the Instagram photos of the Ham4Ham on Friday where Platt and Uranowitz both appeared, and was imagining Uranowitz pulling a Nomi Malone on Platt and shoving him down the stairs to take his part...  But alas, Uranowitz looks perfectly happy listening to Platt, so he likely is fine with the casting.

Ben Platt was Miscast as Leo Frank

BeingAlive44Ever
#25Ben Platt was Miscast as Leo Frank
Posted: 5/28/23 at 3:14pm

MemorableUserName said: "After reading this thread I was looking at the Instagram photos of the Ham4Ham on Friday where Platt and Uranowitz both appeared, and was imagining Uranowitz pulling a Nomi Malone on Platt and shoving him down the stairs to take his part... But alas, Uranowitz looks perfectly happy listening to Platt, so he likely is fine with the casting.

"

I'm willing to bet Uranowitz doesn't really care 

He's probably happy for Platt

Videos