pixeltracker

Singin' in the Rain Ogunquit Playhouse

Singin' in the Rain Ogunquit Playhouse

gymman Profile Photo
gymman
#1Singin' in the Rain Ogunquit Playhouse
Posted: 6/18/23 at 10:54pm

I was not expecting how wonderful this show was! Great costumes, singing, and especially dancing. Max Clayton is fantastic, and in another era would have been a huge Broadway star. He sings well but is an absolutely fantastic dancer. What a wonderful performer, and so happy to see him doing well.

Jarethan
#2Singin' in the Rain Ogunquit Playhouse
Posted: 6/19/23 at 12:13am

gymman said: "I was not expecting how wonderful this show was! Great costumes, singing, and especially dancing. Max Clayton is fantastic, and in another era would have been a huge Broadway star. He sings well but is an absolutely fantastic dancer. What a wonderful performer, and so happy to see him doing well."

I am seeing that in 2 weeks and was dreading it (friends got the tickets), based on my memories of the production on Broadway decades ago.  So, maybe there’s hope!

gymman Profile Photo
gymman
#3Singin' in the Rain Ogunquit Playhouse
Posted: 6/19/23 at 11:44am

Maybe it's just that it is such fun to see an old-fashioned musical with no agenda except entertainment. The male leads are both just fine.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#4Singin' in the Rain Ogunquit Playhouse
Posted: 6/19/23 at 12:27pm

They've only played one weekend, but I've heard outstanding reviews of this. The actress playing Cathy is wonderful as well. Not that an Ogunquit show has ever transferred to Broadway, but maybe there's a chance?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#5Singin' in the Rain Ogunquit Playhouse
Posted: 6/19/23 at 12:40pm

There is a revival of SINGIN in the works but this summer stock run has nothing to do with it. The Broadway revival is one of several projects in development for a Tony-winning choreographer who hasn't directed on Broadway in a decade.

I will believe it when a theatre is announced, because there have been so many threats to bring SINGIN back to Broadway in various forms over the years, and none pan out. It's not strong material for the stage; the movie is perfect; and stage productions tend to just try to emulate what people love about the movie.

gymman Profile Photo
gymman
#6Singin' in the Rain Ogunquit Playhouse
Posted: 6/19/23 at 3:40pm

At one point, there was talk of a revival with Derek Hough, but nothing came of that.  I can't imagine a better production, considering the material which does not translate easily to the stage.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#7Singin' in the Rain Ogunquit Playhouse
Posted: 6/19/23 at 4:20pm

gymman said: "At one point, there was talk of a revival with Derek Hough, but nothing came of that. I can't imagine a better production, considering the material which does not translate easily to the stage."

https://playbill.com/article/derek-hough-responds-to-singin-in-the-rain-broadway-delay

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#8Singin' in the Rain Ogunquit Playhouse
Posted: 6/19/23 at 6:28pm

Chiara Trentalange is the actress playing Cathy in this production and I've heard raves about her already. She's been on Broadway in GIRL FROM THE NORTH COUNTRY and just did HERCULES at Papermill.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

gymman Profile Photo
gymman
#9Singin' in the Rain Ogunquit Playhouse
Posted: 6/19/23 at 7:06pm

She's quite lovely and charming, if not quite up to the male leads as a dancer.

Dollypop
#10Singin' in the Rain Ogunquit Playhouse
Posted: 6/20/23 at 10:03am

This production didn't seem to have much rehearsal time at all.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#11Singin' in the Rain Ogunquit Playhouse
Posted: 6/20/23 at 10:12am

The "issue" with Singin in the Rain, is that it is a very literal translation of the film onto the stage. I can't compare scripts, but I am almost certain the book of the musical is word for word the screenplay. All the jokes hit the same on stage and screen.

The Sadler's Wells production played Toronto last fall, and it was splashy, and fun. But again, felt like they were doing a recreation of the show. You can tell why its a great movie, because Comden and Green wrote a great story.

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#12Singin' in the Rain Ogunquit Playhouse
Posted: 6/20/23 at 10:23am

Dollypop said: "This production didn't seem to have much rehearsal time at all."

3 weeks (including tech) is sort of the standard for this level of summer stock theatre. 

gymman Profile Photo
gymman
#13Singin' in the Rain Ogunquit Playhouse
Posted: 6/20/23 at 11:36am

They were still building the sets during the first previews, which is not unusual at Ogunquit. The first few rows were getting quite a bit of rain, and I think that's been fixed.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#14Singin' in the Rain Ogunquit Playhouse
Posted: 6/20/23 at 12:37pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Dollypop said: "This production didn't seem to have much rehearsal time at all."

3 weeks (including tech) is sort of the standard for this level of summer stock theatre.
"

But they're an equity summer stock theater now. Back in the day, they were a true non-equity summer stock theater. Low pay, bad housing, crappy shows. But you got EMC points...

gymman Profile Photo
gymman
#15Singin' in the Rain Ogunquit Playhouse
Posted: 6/20/23 at 3:11pm

Do you know how they pay now? I assume there are salaries that meet equity standards.

Videos