pixeltracker

The brilliant Tom Jones (The Fantasticks, 110 in the Shade, I Do! I Do!) has died at 95.

The brilliant Tom Jones (The Fantasticks, 110 in the Shade, I Do! I Do!) has died at 95.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#1The brilliant Tom Jones (The Fantasticks, 110 in the Shade, I Do! I Do!) has died at 95.
Posted: 8/12/23 at 10:39am

One of my favorite lyricists of that era, who remained active right up to the very end: a version of THE FANTASTICKS that reimagined the two young lovers as men played Provincetown last month.

For me, 110 IN THE SHADE is Jones & Schmidt’s masterwork, though FANTASTICKS will of course get the headlines.

His death is being reported on social media by many people in the industry who knew him personally.

Dom P
#2The brilliant Tom Jones (The Fantasticks, 110 in the Shade, I Do! I Do!) has died at 95.
Posted: 8/12/23 at 11:27am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "One of my favorite lyricists of that era, who remained active right up to the very end: a version of THE FANTASTICKS that reimagined the two young lovers as men played Provincetown last month.

For me, 110 IN THE SHADE is Jones & Schmidt’s masterwork, though FANTASTICKS will of course get the headlines.

His death is being reported on social media by many people in the industry who knew him personally.
"

Sorry to learn of this. I believe he composed at musical "Celebration" which play the Ambassador Theater on Broadway.

A sweet show,with dark moments (It depends what you pay( which became iconic. Performed the world over. I can't remember a time when "The Fantasticks" was part of Musical Theater lexicon. It's a shame,that like several other musicals,out didn't receive a proper film treatment.  May it was to pure of heart for the screen. No big loud flashy over done elements,but a show which lingers in the mind. Jerry Orrbach as El Gallo and countless others performed this work. RIP Tom Jones.

nmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
#3The brilliant Tom Jones (The Fantasticks, 110 in the Shade, I Do! I Do!) has died at 95.
Posted: 8/12/23 at 12:54pm

"Without a hurt the heart is hollow"

Skip23 Profile Photo
Skip23
#4The brilliant Tom Jones (The Fantasticks, 110 in the Shade, I Do! I Do!) has died at 95.
Posted: 8/12/23 at 1:23pm

Funny, I just pulled out THE FANTASTICKS this week to listen again.  So brilliant.  There really should be a production playing constantly.  With the simple, small setting.  The Sullivan Street theatre added so much to the atmosphere of the show.  And that music!!

And CELEBRATION was my first Broadway musical.  And 110 kills me.  And I DO, I DO should run somewhere forever, too.    

Thanks for everything, Tom!

Dom P
#5The brilliant Tom Jones (The Fantasticks, 110 in the Shade, I Do! I Do!) has died at 95.
Posted: 8/12/23 at 1:43pm

Skip23 said: "Funny, I just pulled out THE FANTASTICKS this week to listen again. So brilliant. There really should be a production playing constantly. With the simple, small setting. The Sullivan Street theatre added so much to the atmosphere of the show. And that music!!

Sweet Mary Martin and some of the language in I Do! I Do!. Just one highlight of that show. 

And CELEBRATION was my first Broadway musical. And 110 kills me. And I DO, I DO should run somewhere forever, too.

Thanks for everything, Tom!

"

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#6The brilliant Tom Jones (The Fantasticks, 110 in the Shade, I Do! I Do!) has died at 95.
Posted: 8/12/23 at 6:41pm

This, from I DO, I DO, always gets me:

In only a moment we both will be old
We won't even notice the world turning cold
And so, in these moments with sunlight above
My cup runneth over with love

Dom P
#7The brilliant Tom Jones (The Fantasticks, 110 in the Shade, I Do! I Do!) has died at 95.
Posted: 8/12/23 at 7:19pm

MichelleCraig said: "This, from I DO, I DO, always gets me:

"

Brilliant.  And the fact that two legends the Broadway Cast of I Do! I Do!,Mary Martin and Robert Preston. Wonderful.   A little off topic but I wonder what the relationship between Martin, Preston and the tyrannical David Merrick was like.

Tenor8674
#8The brilliant Tom Jones (The Fantasticks, 110 in the Shade, I Do! I Do!) has died at 95.
Posted: 8/12/23 at 7:29pm

Always thought 110 in the Shade was their masterpiece and one of the greatest shows ever.  And that score!

Impeach2017 Profile Photo
Impeach2017
#9The brilliant Tom Jones (The Fantasticks, 110 in the Shade, I Do! I Do!) has died at 95.
Posted: 8/13/23 at 5:02am

Dom P said: "MichelleCraig said: "This, from I DO, I DO, always gets me:

"

Brilliant. And the fact that two legends the Broadway Cast of I Do! I Do!,Mary Martin and Robert Preston. Wonderful. A little off topic but I wonder what the relationship between Martin, Preston and the tyrannical David Merrick was like.
"

During that play, probably great because it cost him very little to put it on.

Elibal Profile Photo
Elibal
#10The brilliant Tom Jones (The Fantasticks, 110 in the Shade, I Do! I Do!) has died at 95.
Posted: 8/13/23 at 3:59pm

I need to put in a word for Philemon, unjustly neglected and forgotten and yet such an interesting and relevant piece. The PBS proshot of the original production is on youtube for those unaware.

Videos