Aaron Lazar’s ALS Diagnosis

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#1Aaron Lazar’s ALS Diagnosis
Posted: 1/1/24 at 4:27pm

Not the news I wanted to share for the new year, but Aaron Lazar has shared that he had ALS. He’s such a talent, and I’m keeping him and his family in my prayers. The article is attached. It doesn’t give much info, but you can see for yourselves. Article

Impeach2017 Profile Photo
Impeach2017
#2Aaron Lazar’s ALS Diagnosis
Posted: 1/1/24 at 4:42pm

What a shame, he is a good performer with a big heart.

Updated On: 1/2/24 at 04:42 PM

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#3Aaron Lazar’s ALS Diagnosis
Posted: 1/1/24 at 5:45pm

Oh my goodness. How tragic and at only 47 years old.

He was magnificent in THE LAST SHIP and in the regional production of BRIDGES with Kate Baldwin. 

May the progress be slow and he can keep performing, at least for a little while.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

BorisTomashevsky
#4Aaron Lazar’s ALS Diagnosis
Posted: 1/1/24 at 7:58pm

Damn. This is rough. 

suicidalmickeymouse Profile Photo
suicidalmickeymouse
#5Aaron Lazar’s ALS Diagnosis
Posted: 1/1/24 at 9:29pm

Ugh. What a gut punch. 

He is so talented and I’m hoping for whatever the best possible outcome is.

Hunter: Your teeth need whitening./ Heidi: You sound weird./ Jeff: You taste funny.
-Jeff Bowen's worst onstage line flub.

tomwsjr
#6Aaron Lazar’s ALS Diagnosis
Posted: 1/2/24 at 6:48am

Aaron was mesmerizing in a recent production of Fun Home in Hartford CT, which I preferred to the Broadway production.  

Boq101
#7Aaron Lazar’s ALS Diagnosis
Posted: 1/2/24 at 10:38am

Impeach2017 said: "What a shame, he was a good performer with a big heart."

He's still alive, mind yourself using the past tense on a person who is still living their life to the fullest. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#8Aaron Lazar’s ALS Diagnosis
Posted: 1/2/24 at 11:08am

Awful, awful news, especially considering he has two young kids who he coparents.

If there's a positive way to look at this, he was diagnosed in January 2022 (two years ago) + 8 months of symptoms before that, and since then he's done BRIDGES, FUN HOME, SECRET GARDEN at the Ahmanson, concert dates, and some TV. (also just learned he was Cumberbatch's body double/stand-in on the final two AVENGERS movies?!)

Going by that podcast interview, he's approaching this with a fighter's mindset –– not as a terminal illness –– and is focusing on health/nutrition/medical attention.

Updated On: 1/2/24 at 11:08 AM

BETTY22
#9Aaron Lazar’s ALS Diagnosis
Posted: 1/3/24 at 7:20pm

Heartbreaking. Just read his statement - what an inspiration he is. 

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#10Aaron Lazar’s ALS Diagnosis
Posted: 1/3/24 at 7:42pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said:
If there's a positive way to look at this, he was diagnosed in January 2022 (two years ago) + 8 months of symptoms before that, and since then he's done BRIDGES, FUN HOME, SECRET GARDEN at the Ahmanson, concert dates, and some TV. (also just learned he was Cumberbatch's body double/stand-in on the final two AVENGERS movies?!)

Well, I'll be damned. 

https://pagesix.com/2017/01/12/this-cumberbatch-body-double-is-basically-a-cumber-twin/

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#11Aaron Lazar’s ALS Diagnosis
Posted: 1/14/24 at 10:37pm

Just getting back from the Carnegie Hall tribute to Stephen Flaherty tonight that Aaron was a part of. He is using a cane and they brought a chair out for him during his numbers but he looks fantastic and sounds as good as he ever has. He’s been on a lot of peoples minds lately so it’s very very nice to see him on stage and doing so well.  

lila12
#12Aaron Lazar’s ALS Diagnosis
Posted: 1/14/24 at 11:53pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Just getting back from the Carnegie Hall tribute toStephen Flaherty tonight that Aaron was a part of. He is using a cane and they brought a chair out for him during his numbers but he looks fantastic and sounds as good as he ever has. He’s been on a lot of peoples minds lately so it’s very very nice to see him on stage and doing so well."

Thank you for posting this. I was at the Carnegie Hall performance tonight (which I really really enjoyed). I was not familiar with Aaron’s diagnosis and just assumed he had a leg injury. He was fantastic and I am so glad he was able to participate - it was a very special evening.  

VintageSnarker
#13Aaron Lazar’s ALS Diagnosis
Posted: 1/15/24 at 1:00pm

Thank you for taking the time to share that, Jordan. 

Videos