pixeltracker

Which theaters are most in need of renovation?

Which theaters are most in need of renovation?

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#1Which theaters are most in need of renovation?
Posted: 2/13/24 at 3:01pm

Over the past 10-20 years it feels like most of the Broadway theaters have had a renovation, are there any remaining that really need some TLC? The one that comes to my mind first is the Lunt-Fontanne. The painted wall panels make it one of the ugliest theaters on Broadway, imo. 

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#2Which theaters are most in need of renovation?
Posted: 2/13/24 at 3:02pm

Lyceum

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#3Which theaters are most in need of renovation?
Posted: 2/13/24 at 3:06pm

Some of the Jujamcyn houses are in pretty awful shape, especially those mustard-yellow walls at the St. James (which was refurbished pre-FROZEN) and at the August Wilson (which may get covered up for CABARET). Maybe ATG will do a facelift? I similarly hate the interior of Shubert's Golden Theatre. But some of this is just personal taste.

The Lyceum is an obvious one and I hope will be Shubert's next contender after the Majestic. It desperately needs a better bathroom situation, the seats are awfully cramped, the marquee is practically illegible, and the backstage facilities aren't great. Post-CHICAGO (which may not be in our lifetimes), the Ambassador is another in need of a facelift and more bathrooms.

Pipedreams:
– I would always love to see Shubert rip out 400 seats at the Broadway, reconfigure the mezz, and introduce some colors other than RED. But compared to others, that's in good shape.

– Studio 54 (do something about the mezzanine, cramped legroom, and uncomfortable seating throughout)

– Marquis (get rid of some carpeting, improve acoustics, and make it look less like a high school auditorium).

Updated On: 2/13/24 at 03:06 PM

ElephantLoveMedley
#4Which theaters are most in need of renovation?
Posted: 2/13/24 at 3:16pm

TaffyDavenport said: "Lyceum"

Easily this.

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#5Which theaters are most in need of renovation?
Posted: 2/13/24 at 3:54pm

The Ambassador

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#6Which theaters are most in need of renovation?
Posted: 2/13/24 at 4:08pm

WldKingdomHM said: "TheAmbassador"

100%. Sadly it won't happen until Chicago closes or moves to a different theater, which may be years away from happening.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#7Which theaters are most in need of renovation?
Posted: 2/13/24 at 4:22pm

The men’s restroom at the winter garden is so tiny. I don’t think the winter garden should be touched other than that.  Cant speak about the women’s restroom. 

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#8Which theaters are most in need of renovation?
Posted: 2/13/24 at 4:26pm

Without a doubt, The Lyceum! The seats are awful and the legroom is offensively tight for a tall person like me. They need to put in more comfortable and wider seats as well as structural modifications to the mezzanine and balcony levels to fix the legroom. 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Voter
#9Which theaters are most in need of renovation?
Posted: 2/13/24 at 4:28pm

I think the Circle in the Square needs a remodel. Not a huge million dollar renovation but a little more attractiveness

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#10Which theaters are most in need of renovation?
Posted: 2/13/24 at 4:45pm

I suspect, as far a Shubert Houses go, that the Lyceum will be next. I heard it was supposed to be done a while ago but then Phantom announced. It probably made more sense to get the Majestic done before doing the Lyceum which, I think, will take much longer to renovate. I also remember walking past it early last year some time and there were work permits on the doors. I didn't read them so they may not have been for a renovation. 

Just give the world Love.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#11Which theaters are most in need of renovation?
Posted: 2/13/24 at 6:38pm

Personally, Studio 54 and Lyceum need to get the biggest updates with regards to seating.

However, a 1992 case effectively placed a severe handicap on 22 Broadway theatres from being able to make marked changes to their interior due to their designations as "interior landmarks"

https://www.nytimes.com/1992/05/27/nyregion/high-court-upholds-naming-of-22-theaters-as-landmarks.html

On 44th Street, the Broadhurst, the Belasco, the Majestic, the St. James and the Shubert.

On 45th Street, the Booth, the Golden, the Imperial, the Lyceum, the Martin Beck (now Al Hirschfeld), the Music Box, the Plymouth (now Schoenfeld) and the Royale (now Jacobs).

On 46th Street, the 46th Street (now Richard Rodgers) and the Lunt-Fontanne.

On 47th Street the Barrymore and the Brooks Atkinson (now Lena Horne.

On 48th Street, the Cort (now Jones) and the Longacre.

On 49th Street, the Eugene O'Neill.

On 51st Street, the Mark Hellinger (now Times Square Church)

On Broadway, the Winter Garden.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#12Which theaters are most in need of renovation?
Posted: 2/13/24 at 6:43pm

The Lyceum is my favorite Broadway theater in design - love the exterior and the marquee - and the layout. I love walking right from the street into the theater. But it does need some sprucing up. I remember being up there for Play Goes Wrong and I was like they need to dust, paint, etc. 

I know the Marquee isn't the most eye grabbing and kind of small, but I love it. 

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#13Which theaters are most in need of renovation?
Posted: 2/13/24 at 6:46pm

quizking101 said: "Personally, Studio 54 and Lyceum need to get the biggest updates with regards to seating.

However, a 1992 case effectively placed a severe handicap on22 Broadway theatres from being able to make marked changes to their interior due to their designations as "interior landmarks"

https://www.nytimes.com/1992/05/27/nyregion/high-court-upholds-naming-of-22-theaters-as-landmarks.html

On 44th Street, the Broadhurst, the Belasco, the Majestic, the St. James and the Shubert.

On 45th Street, the Booth, the Golden, the Imperial, the Lyceum, the Martin Beck (now Al Hirschfeld), the Music Box, the Plymouth (now Schoenfeld) and the Royale (now Jacobs).

On 46th Street, the 46th Street (now Richard Rodgers)and the Lunt-Fontanne.

On 48th Street, the Cort (now Jones)and the Longacre.

"

Sure, but…… haven’t the Belasco, the James, the Booth, the Golden, the Schoenfeld, the Cort, and the O’Neill (and I’m sure I’m forgetting a few) all undergone somewhat of a significant interior renovation since ‘92, though? Seats, paint jobs, bathrooms, etc. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#14Which theaters are most in need of renovation?
Posted: 2/13/24 at 7:38pm

GreasedLightning said: "quizking101 said: "Personally, Studio 54 and Lyceum need to get the biggest updates with regards to seating.

However, a 1992 case effectively placed a severe handicap on22 Broadway theatres from being able to make marked changes to their interior due to their designations as "interior landmarks"

On 46th Street, the 46th Street (now Richard Rodgers)and the Lunt-Fontanne.

On 48th Street, the Cort (now Jones)and the Longacre.

"

Sure, but…… haven’t the Belasco, the James, the Booth, the Golden, the Schoenfeld, the Cort, and the O’Neill (and I’m sure I’m forgetting a few) all undergone somewhat of a significant interior renovation since ‘92, though? Seats, paint jobs, bathrooms, etc.
"

Having seen A Beautiful Noise several times at the Broadhurst, the bathrooms need an upgrade. Otherwise, it's fine. The Booth & The Golden also need an overall upgrade.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Latest Posts

Videos