pixeltracker

Life and Trust (from the Sleep No More producers)

Life and Trust (from the Sleep No More producers)

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#1Life and Trust (from the Sleep No More producers)
Posted: 6/21/24 at 12:40pm

Emursive's new Financial District show began performances last night. Has anyone been? Is anyone going?

I'm so curious, but I find it hard to stomach spending $160 with no reports yet on how the shoe is (or even WHAT the show is)!

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#2Life and Trust (from the Sleep No More producers)
Posted: 6/21/24 at 1:02pm

I’m going on July 4th in the hopes that crowds will be smaller because of the holiday. My only negative feelings toward Sleep No More have been due to audience size/behavior and would really like to avoid that as much as possible. Early reports indicate there are arguably too many people admitted per show.

As far as the show itself, I know several people working on it and who have seen it in either at a dress rehearsal or preview, and word of mouth is pretty great. I’m hearing the design in particular is excellent, so it’ll be worth it just to take in the various environments. One friend said it was like Sleep No More, but leveled up and less overtly spooky.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#3Life and Trust (from the Sleep No More producers)
Posted: 6/21/24 at 1:08pm

I've been hearing positive things- and that it's an adaptation of Faust set in a bank in 1929 on the eve of the crash and it's a huge 6-floor production that rivals Sleep No More. They also require phones to be locked into pouches once you check in.

I have been to the space during the day, though, where it operates as Conwell Coffee. It's a beautiful art deco room with a massive mural that looks truly straight from the era (and apparently contains allusions and hints to the production, naturally).

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

chrishuyen
#4Life and Trust (from the Sleep No More producers)
Posted: 6/21/24 at 1:37pm

Someone I know mentioned they felt like they fixed some of the problems with Sleep No More, namely having wider hallways/stairs and that the space is huge.  From online chatter it seems like the story may be a lot more loosely involved, and at least one person complained about being in dead zones too much with not being able to figure out where things were happening.  I think they're doing a "preview" period, so this might be something that gets fixed over time too.  And like Sleep No More, different parts of the story do loop.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#5Life and Trust (from the Sleep No More producers)
Posted: 6/21/24 at 1:39pm

This is also the world premiere of this particular show, so I can only imagine the next few weeks will see a lot of adjustments.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#6Life and Trust (from the Sleep No More producers)
Posted: 6/21/24 at 2:00pm

It’s essentially Faust and Dorian Gray remixed and set on the eve of The Great Crash of ‘29. Faust analog character is the owner of the bank where the whole thing takes place; and Mephistopheles, Dorian Gray, and Evelyn Nesbit are characters that come in and out of each other’s stories. Similar to Sleep No More and most immersive shows, the whole thing loops. However, this one is two longer loops, rather than three.

Oh, and you have to wear a mask. It’s larger than the Sleep No More mask.

That’s all the context I have for the content of the show.

Updated On: 6/21/24 at 02:00 PM

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#7Life and Trust (from the Sleep No More producers)
Posted: 6/21/24 at 5:34pm

All we really want to know is: is there as much nudity as SLEEP NO MORE? If so, sign us up.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#8Life and Trust (from the Sleep No More producers)
Posted: 6/21/24 at 7:51pm

chrishuyen said: "Someone I know mentioned they felt like they fixed some of the problems with Sleep No More, namely having wider hallways/stairs and that the space is huge. From online chatter it seems like the story may be a lot more loosely involved, and at least one person complained about being in dead zones too much with not being able to figure out where things were happening. I think they're doing a "preview" period, so this might be something that gets fixed over time too. And like Sleep No More, different parts of the story do loop."

No, SNM crowds are worse than ever. You feel at a poorly organized massive event and the mystery and tension are gone.

Will report on Life and Trust soon.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

chrishuyen
#9Life and Trust (from the Sleep No More producers)
Posted: 6/21/24 at 7:56pm

blaxx said: "chrishuyen said: "Someone I know mentioned they felt like they fixed some of the problems with Sleep No More, namely having wider hallways/stairs and that the space is huge. From online chatter it seems like the story may be a lot more loosely involved, and at least one person complained about being in dead zones too much with not being able to figure out where things were happening. I think they're doing a "preview" period, so this might be something that gets fixed over time too. And like Sleep No More, different parts of the story do loop."

No, SNM crowds are worse than ever. You feel at a poorly organized massive event and the mystery and tension are gone.

"

Oh to be clear, I meant that was the issue in Sleep No More that they fixed in Life and Trust by having wider staircases etc. At least that's what I was told, anyhow. 

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#10Life and Trust (from the Sleep No More producers)
Posted: 6/21/24 at 10:19pm

chrishuyen said: "blaxx said: "chrishuyen said: "Someone I know mentioned they felt like they fixed some of the problems with Sleep No More, namely having wider hallways/stairs and that the space is huge. From online chatter it seems like the story may be a lot more loosely involved, and at least one person complained about being in dead zones too much with not being able to figure out where things were happening. I think they're doing a "preview" period, so this might be something that gets fixed over time too. And like Sleep No More, different parts of the story do loop."

"

Oh to be clear, I meant that was the issue in Sleep No More that they fixed in Life and Trust by having wider staircases etc. At least that's what I was told, anyhow.
"

I see, thanks for clarifying.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Videos