We Will Rock You to the US

son_of_a_gunn_25 Profile Photo
son_of_a_gunn_25
#0We Will Rock You to the US
Posted: 2/24/04 at 10:18am

https://www.broadwayworld.com/l.cfm?id=22589

I think shows like We Will Rock You seem much better suited to Vegas than New York. With few exceptions, shows like it are not generally very well recieved in New York. I can see them making their money back in Vegas, but not in New York.

My avatar is a reminder to myself. I need lots of reminders...

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#1re: We Will Rock You to the US
Posted: 2/24/04 at 10:23am

STOP THE MADNESS!!!!
Rock & roll was not meant to support a book of a show!

stop!
#2re: re: We Will Rock You to the US
Posted: 2/24/04 at 10:27am

well mamma mia is a major hit with a big profit, and although i have not seen we will rock you it is one those "body of work" musicals wich actually changes lyrics to go with the show.....i think if it follows the lead of mamma mia and tours country racking up a following and opens on broadway during a slow time ie.. mamma mia it will do good, and the music really rocks so will see ( we all wish that shows werent based on bands music, or movies, but hey in the early 90s people hated all the revivals, in the 80's it was the british imports, but broadway needs to keep with times and go through these stages in order to keep attracting new people to the theatre....who knows someone who saw mamma mia at age 10 may be the next sondheim, or kander and ebb, or rodgers and hammerstein :)

GET A LIFE!!!

son_of_a_gunn_25 Profile Photo
son_of_a_gunn_25
#3re: re: re: We Will Rock You to the US
Posted: 2/24/04 at 10:34am

If anyone didn't read the article it's going to Vegas not New York...well not yet at least. (I replaced "you" with "anyone" before it sounded like I was yelling at stop! and we can't have that! Hindsight is always 20/20. re: re: re: We Will Rock You to the US

My avatar is a reminder to myself. I need lots of reminders...
Updated On: 2/25/04 at 10:34 AM

JakeB
#4re: re: re: re: We Will Rock You to the US
Posted: 2/24/04 at 1:14pm

Hopefully the people in Vegas will be too drunk to care how good it is.. let's hope so!

Lorelai Profile Photo
Lorelai
#5re: re: re: re: re: We Will Rock You to the US
Posted: 2/25/04 at 5:44am

Well, before it goes anywhere....they need to work some more on the book and the choreography (well, lack thereof). The one thing I really loved about the show was the cast. Especially Hannah J. Fox and Kerry Ellis, I swear if they could bring those girls over for a show...they would blow everyone away (in my opinion)
I did like Tony Vincent as well, but there are tons of actors just like him in NYC.
But the choreography, I literally had my head in my hands. It was painful. It seems to me that they don't spend as much time on it at all. Actually a lot of shows in London were the same. Do they just not focus on choreography as much as Broadway shows do?

(formerly bronte604) "You really just love money and power and capitalism? You know they're never going to love you back." "Things happen for the best...I don't even believe that myself."

leeinlondon
#6re: re: re: re: re: re: We Will Rock You to the US
Posted: 2/25/04 at 6:06am

Well they don't over choreograph things here.. it is often slightly more natural movements than the bland conventions demanded by Broadway audiences...

For example originally the Broadway Taboo dancing was supposed to be more rough and gritty... but last minute nerves forced a change to something slightly more conventional....

In the case of We Will Rock You they used a lot of movement similar to the Queen Videos....

I think you are too accustomed to seeing the same styles of choreography used over and over again..

localonecrew
#7re: re: re: re: re: re: re: We Will Rock You to the US
Posted: 2/25/04 at 11:45am

i saw this in london. it is a confusing mess.

mamamia sammy Profile Photo
mamamia sammy
#8re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: We Will Rock You to the US
Posted: 2/25/04 at 11:46am

You were confused by 'We Will Rock You'?

Does 'Mamma Mia' also confuse you?

BroadwayWorld: A home for the dangerously unhinged

localonecrew
#9re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: We Will Rock You to the US
Posted: 2/25/04 at 11:51am

there is a difference between being confused and a show being a confused mess. moron. go play with someone else. you are way out of your league

mamamia sammy Profile Photo
mamamia sammy
#10re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: We Will Rock You to the US
Posted: 2/25/04 at 11:54am

Ha! That gets the biggest LOL of the day!

BroadwayWorld: A home for the dangerously unhinged

Playbill Profile Photo
Playbill
#11re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: We Will Rock You to the US
Posted: 2/27/04 at 12:53pm

I thought We Will Rock You was just horrible (and I like Queen). A message of the show was that new pop stars like Britney Spears are ruining rock and roll today because they have no talent, just good looks (whereas Queen was made up of talented and original musicians). I found this irritating because to me, these new rock based musicals like Mamma Mia, WWRY and Tonight's The Night are ruining the musical theater -- to me, these shows are the "Britney Spears" of Broadway.

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#12re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: We Will Rock You to the US
Posted: 2/27/04 at 10:38pm

i could agree more with you Playbill. Kind of makes you wonder where musical theatre is headed.

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#13re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: We Will Rock You to the US
Posted: 2/27/04 at 10:49pm

Its going to play at the Paris Hotel in Vegas. According to playbill.com theyre casting for the parts now.

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

Videos