My Fair lady -revival-

#0My Fair lady -revival-
Posted: 4/6/04 at 11:37pm

So are there any plans to bring the London revival to broadway? I think this musical is due for a new production.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#1re: My Fair lady -revival-
Posted: 4/6/04 at 11:57pm

Mackintosh's My Fair Lady Won't See Bway Soon, But Producer Says "Just You Wait"

By Kenneth Jones
13 Nov 2003

The popular Cameron Mackintosh revival of My Fair Lady, seen in London in recent seasons with Jonathan Pryce, Anthony Andrews and others, will not be recreated on Broadway anytime soon, Mackintosh told Playbill On-Line.

"I'm not doing it," explained Mackintosh, on Nov. 13, the day of the North American non-Equity premiere of his production of Oliver! in Denver. "I can't. I'm working on Mary Poppins with Disney at the moment. If the right theatre had come and we could have cast it there and then, I could have just about done it before I got too involved with Mary Poppins, but I can't now."

Here's the rest of it: http://www.playbill.com/news/article/82758.html

Hope this helps!

I'd like to see it on Broadway too. It would be a HOT ticket, but it looks like we have to wait till all this Mary Poppins crap is over and done with.
Updated On: 4/7/04 at 11:57 PM

#2re: re: My Fair lady -revival-
Posted: 4/7/04 at 12:05am

The McCarter Theatre in Princeton, NJ (where Jeffrey Carlson of TABOO fame is currently in Candida)is doing My Fair Lady and then the production is transferring to Hartford Stage.
But this is a different type of My Fair Lady because it's being billed as "10 actors and 2 pianos".
So, don't really know how that'll work, but I think it's a neat concept for any show.

Victoria Grant Profile Photo
Victoria Grant
#3re: re: re: My Fair lady -revival-
Posted: 4/7/04 at 12:13am

I would love to see My Fair Lady come back as a revival, it would be pretty amazing. I'm sure in all do time it will.
I would love to see Sutton play Eliza and Victor Garber as Henry Higgins.

CATSNYrevival
#4re: re: re: re: My Fair lady -revival-
Posted: 4/7/04 at 12:15am

well, except for a show that doesn't really need 10 actors. Then it's overkill.

#5re: re: re: re: re: My Fair lady -revival-
Posted: 4/7/04 at 12:16am

Sutton is brilliant casting as Eliza.

CATSNYrevival
#6re: re: re: re: re: re: My Fair lady -revival-
Posted: 4/7/04 at 1:27am

God yes! She's just awesome!

TheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
#7re: re: re: re: re: re: re: My Fair lady -revival-
Posted: 4/8/04 at 11:19am

Ruthie Henshall as Eliza. re: re: re: re: re: re: re: My Fair lady -revival-

Sutton is a good choice. She definitely has the look and singing voice; but I wonder if she could pull off a believable British accent?

"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~

musicaltheatreman
#8re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: My Fair lady -revival-
Posted: 4/8/04 at 12:36pm

audra mcdonald - eliza
brian stokes mitchel - higgins
they would be awsome in these roles!!!!! :)

#9re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: My Fair lady -revival-
Posted: 4/8/04 at 1:12pm

No. I don't agree with the Audra and Brian casting for these roles Stokes is a little too stiff as a actor for this.

BillyLawlor Profile Photo
BillyLawlor
#10re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: My Fair lady -revival-
Posted: 4/8/04 at 2:27pm

Sutton seems pretty versatile to me; I think she could pull off a convincing Cockney accent if she worked on it. I'd also like to David Elder as Freddy just to hear his beautiful rendition of "On the Street Where you Live".

I'd also love to see Garber as Higgins. He could sure as hell act the hell out of that role, and I'd love to see how the chemistry plays out with him and Foster, if they end up playing the roles.

TheaterBaby
#11re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: My Fair lady -revival-
Posted: 4/8/04 at 3:16pm

I bet Idina could do the part well.

"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#12re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: My Fair lady -revival-
Posted: 4/8/04 at 3:23pm

I've been told that Idina has a lovely, soaring soprano. Apparently, her TONIGHT duet back in college was stunning.

I fear our lovely Ms. MacDonald is a tad too old for the role now. However, in a younger day, she would have been simply marvelous in the role. And to continue the non-traditional cast, I would have adored Morgan Freeman's Higgins.

I would prefer to see that queen of missed performances, Laura Benanti, in the role. I, for one, have not had to suffer any of her absences and was quite impressed with her take on Cinderella. I think she could do something special with the role...opposite Jeremy Irons, of course.

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#13re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: My Fair lady -revival-
Posted: 4/8/04 at 3:25pm

since when is Audra too old by Broadway Standards? On stage I am sure she looks very young. I think she'd be amazing.

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#14re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: My Fair lady -revival-
Posted: 4/8/04 at 3:27pm

Perhaps 'too old' is not the right way to put it. There's something leading lady-ish about her. I feel she may have just gotten past her ingenue days. Of course, I would KILL to be proven wrong, because she may be the closest thing I have to blind worship of a star.

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

Dollypop
#15re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: My Fair lady -revival-
Posted: 4/8/04 at 3:36pm

Hugh Grant was absolutely born to play Higgins.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

CurtainUp Profile Photo
CurtainUp
#16re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: My Fair lady -revival-
Posted: 4/9/04 at 2:21pm

Eliza used to be one of my dream roles in about 3rd grade, until I realized I'm a contralto and couldn't sing soprano if my life depended on it. Anyway, after hearing the Millie OBC, I think Sutton as Eliza would be sheer brilliance. SHe's got the innocence, but also could pull off the grittiness. Shes doing "Me and My Girl" somewhere isn't she? So that means she could pull off the accent.

Rosencrantz: "Be happy - if you're not even HAPPY what's so good about surviving? We'll be all right. I suppose we just go on." - from Tom Stoppard's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

BoyWithTheBugle Profile Photo
BoyWithTheBugle
#17re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: My Fair
Posted: 4/9/04 at 2:40pm

I say Anne Hathaway (Princess Diaries) and Rupert Everett.
I saw it in London and really loved it and the subtle changes they made. Laura Michelle Kelley was amazing. Look forward to her POPPINS.
I doubt if it did not have a direct transfer after the long run there it will not happen anytime soon.

"sipping on a glass of cold chablis..."

TheaterBaby
#18re: re: My Fair Lady
Posted: 4/9/04 at 7:50pm

I heard Anne Hathaway sing on The Caroline Rhea Show last year....and then she sang again on Ellen yesterday. WHAT A VOICE!!!
Someone needs to get that girl to Broadway! Though she is going to College right now (in between making movies), so good for her. :)

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#19re: re: re: My Fair Lady
Posted: 4/9/04 at 8:05pm

This show is constantly revived. Enough is enough. Revive shows that are rarely or never done instead. Some such shows are:

1. Lil Abner
2. Finian's Rainbow
3. Subways Are For Sleeping

Poster Emeritus

lvpblues
#20re: re: re: re: My Fair Lady
Posted: 4/13/04 at 12:27am

I think a good revival of My Fair Lady would be just what the doctor ordered. So many revivals of 80s musicals these days. (It's only a matter of time before a 90s musical makes a return). I know MFL has returned in 1976, 1981 and 1993 but that was for 377, 120 and 165 performances (respectively). A classic show as good as this one deserves a lengthy run.

~Kevin

Jon
#21re: re: re: re: re: My Fair Lady
Posted: 4/13/04 at 12:39am

The "10 actor, 2 piano" version originated three years ago at Trinity Rep in Providence. The concept has since been ripped off by numerous regional theatres. The pianos are on stage, and everyone plays multiple roles except Eliza, Higgins, Pickering, Freddy and Doolittle. For example, one actres plays Mrs. Higgins and Mrs. Pearce. The five "ensemble" players stay onstage the whole time.

broadwaybondchik Profile Photo
broadwaybondchik
#22re: re: re: re: re: re: My Fair Lady
Posted: 4/13/04 at 12:50am

Awe, the pshycic told me i would play this role! Maybe the revival will come right when i get out of AMDA in two years, that would be really cool, ok ok so if its not me , Yes sutton foster would be great at this role. Ya know who else Jessica grove, whatcha think!

Me tarzan nah nah nah nah....

lvpblues
#23re: re: re: re: re: re: re: My Fair Lady
Posted: 4/13/04 at 1:00am

Sutton would be inspired casting... How are her legitimate soprano G's...? re: re: re: re: re: re: re: My Fair Lady

~Kevin

DivaMommy
#24re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: My Fair Lady
Posted: 4/13/04 at 3:11am

<----------

I'm telling you, let me do it! Here, read all about it!

Sorry for the shameless promotion, and I'm really just kidding. I love the idea of Anne Hathaway or Sutton Foster and Hugh Grant or Rupert Everett.
My Review!

...and your children start to leave you from the moment they are born.