Looking for a musical

FosseFan
#0Looking for a musical
Posted: 4/7/04 at 5:19pm

Hi there. I have been reading the boards for awhile now and finally decided to post. I am looking for a musical for my college to do next year. I go to a small college in the mid west. We don't have a huge theatre dept. but we put on some great productions. Past shows have been Cabaret, Chicago, Pirates of Penzance, and Godspell. We are looking for a small cast with a male (tenor) lead and has dancing. If the male lead does a lot of the dancing that would be great. Any ideas? Thanks for the input!

Techieboi
#1re: Looking for a musical
Posted: 4/7/04 at 5:35pm

hi!

I saw this and just thought...omg Batboy!

Batboy the Musical is amazing. It is a great comedy about a story in some paper. The orignal cast included Kerry Butler (now in Lil Shop on broadway)

It is a very flexible show. The cast can be 6 to 60 and many things can be double-casted.

If you have any questions about the musical IM or email me at andrewlpittman@aol.com.

Check out the site below for the fees on performing Batboy.

http://www.dramatists.com/cgi-bin/db/single.asp?key=3013

NuggetMonkeys Profile Photo
NuggetMonkeys
#2re: re: Looking for a musical
Posted: 4/7/04 at 5:52pm

COMPANY

Vary My Days.

Gothampc
#3re: re: re: Looking for a musical
Posted: 4/7/04 at 6:03pm

Assassins
Falsettos
Pippin

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
Updated On: 4/7/04 at 06:03 PM

Plum
#4re: Looking for a musical
Posted: 4/7/04 at 7:49pm

Maybe You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown? The part of Snoopy is really great, even if it's "supporting." And it's nice and small- only 4 guys and 2 girls needed, and a tiny pit.

shermanslave Profile Photo
shermanslave
#5re: re: Looking for a musical
Posted: 4/7/04 at 7:51pm

The Robber Bridegroom

Please visit Bitchy Waiter

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#6re: re: re: Looking for a musical
Posted: 4/7/04 at 8:02pm

just go here;
http://www.mtishows.com/

wildparty20 Profile Photo
wildparty20
#7re: re: re: re: Looking for a musical
Posted: 4/8/04 at 10:39am

Bat Boy IIIIIS a great, fun, show. I music directed the show about a year ago in a very small theatre with minimal set, costumes, etc, and audiences seemed to love it. Royalties aren't that expensive compared to other shows. The music can be challenging for amateurs, but pays off in a big way! As others have said, check out these websites for more info on other small cast musicals... (some of my favorites are Lucky Stiff, Little Shop of Horrors, I Love You You're Perfect Now Change, Floyd Collins. Each show has it's challenges/problems/audience draw, but they're some of MY favorites)

www.samuelfrench.com (Samuel French of course)
www.dramatists.com (Dramatists Play Service)
www.mtishows.com (Music Theatre International)
www.tams-witmark.com (duh)
www.rnh.com (Rodgers & Hammerstein Theatre Library)
www.broadwayplaypubl.com (Broadway Play Publishing Co)

From the evil she done Lord Set her free, Set her free, Set me free Don't let my sorrow Make evil of me

joeyjoe Profile Photo
joeyjoe
#8re: re: re: re: re: Looking for a musical
Posted: 4/8/04 at 10:41am

Bat Boy was based on a story in the World Weekly News where he still makes headlines from time to time... uh, not that i READ it or anything... um... yeah... ahem...

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#9re: re: re: re: re: re: Looking for a musical
Posted: 4/8/04 at 10:42am

the lead in company is not a tenor role.

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

FosseFan
#10re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Looking for a musical
Posted: 4/8/04 at 4:57pm

Thanks everyone! I have been to the websites you have all suggested before and was still having no luck. I did find a show that seemed interesting "The World Goes 'Round The Songs of Kander and Ebb". Anyone know anything about it? I have the script and just wonder how it works. I think that there could be some great dancing and a great show for the five people who will most likely have the leads next year. Thanks a bunch!

wildparty20 Profile Photo
wildparty20
#11re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Looking for a musical
Posted: 4/8/04 at 5:09pm

It's just a review. Some of the arrangements are really good. They've done some neat things with some of the songs. Good opportunities to showcase individual performers. There is a recording of the off-broadway cast. Probably get it on amazon.com. Good luck!

From the evil she done Lord Set her free, Set her free, Set me free Don't let my sorrow Make evil of me

#12re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Looking for a musical
Posted: 4/8/04 at 5:18pm

the lead in company is a tenor! being alive?!?!

Jon
#13re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Looking for a musical
Posted: 4/9/04 at 12:09am

"Lucky Stiff" by Ahrens & Flaherty is a very funny show with terrific songs. It has a cast of ten. Check it out at www.mtishows.com

CurtainUp Profile Photo
CurtainUp
#14re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Looking for a musical
Posted: 4/9/04 at 2:06pm

I'd definately go with Pippin-it's so powerful and I think it fits all of your qualifications. It's amazing, too!

Rosencrantz: "Be happy - if you're not even HAPPY what's so good about surviving? We'll be all right. I suppose we just go on." - from Tom Stoppard's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Videos