pixeltracker

Did I see a different version of Boy from Oz??

Did I see a different version of Boy from Oz??

Al Dente Profile Photo
Al Dente
#0Did I see a different version of Boy from Oz??
Posted: 5/10/04 at 9:48am

It just proves my theory that the nominating committee is not only ridiculous and uninformed but completely random. Besides Jackmans' performance, there was absolutely nothing and no one in that show that I would have deemed worthy of a Tony nod. Beth Fowler warbling out "Don't cry out loud" was insulting and the book...well, that's just ridiculous.

Other than that, there were few, if any surprises, including the Ziemba nod for "Never did run". That only proves that she can just about phone in a performance on any stage in any show and the "all sage ones" will hand her a nod. The committee is infuriating.

kec Profile Photo
kec
#1re: Did I see a different version of Boy from Oz??
Posted: 5/10/04 at 9:52am

So, you didn't think Isabel Keating's portrayal of Judy Garland was worth a nomination?

Janki Profile Photo
Janki
#2re: Did I see a different version of Boy from Oz??
Posted: 5/10/04 at 9:53am

Isabel Keating IS Judy Garland...she has to win or else something is wrong with the world!!!

Popular...You're gonna be Popuular....;)

Al Dente Profile Photo
Al Dente
#3re: Did I see a different version of Boy from Oz??
Posted: 5/10/04 at 9:54am

It was a great imitation, not an organic performance. She has played Judy Garland many times. It's her thing. that being said, I'm not all that annoyed by her nod, it's best book that's got me in a tizzy.

magruder Profile Photo
magruder
#4re: Did I see a different version of Boy from Oz??
Posted: 5/10/04 at 10:05am

I would have nominated Boy from Oz for Orchestrations. Michael Gibson's work is really good.

"Gif me the cobra jool!"

Janki Profile Photo
Janki
#5re: Did I see a different version of Boy from Oz??
Posted: 5/10/04 at 10:05am

I'm listening to her as we speak and she is the star....She is amazing....so what if it's her thing..shouldn't she get recognission for it then?

Popular...You're gonna be Popuular....;)

Missy37
#6re: Did I see a different version of Boy from Oz??
Posted: 5/10/04 at 10:09am

Isabel Keating was amazing!!!

Jamie Hat Profile Photo
Jamie Hat
#7re: Did I see a different version of Boy from Oz??
Posted: 5/10/04 at 10:11am

Great vocal plagarism, but I wasn't impressed.

EVGIRL
#8re: Did I see a different version of Boy from Oz??

Well, they had to nominate something in the fourth slot for Best Musical. Would you rather they nominated Taboo, Never Gonna Dance, or Bombay Dreams? They didn't have much to choose from for the fourth slot; all of the contenders had serious flaws.

Al Dente Profile Photo
Al Dente
#9re: Did I see a different version of Boy from Oz??

Amazing doing a spot-on imitation, yes. And in 'lite' season, as far as that category is concerned, I suppose that's all it takes.

papalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
#10re: did i see a different version of boy from oz??
Posted: 5/10/04 at 10:15am

please, the effin' season had flaws. this is about the most uninspiring b'way season in at least a decade.

r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective

Ruffian
#11re: did i see a different version of boy from oz??
Posted: 5/10/04 at 10:31am

Hugh Jackman and Keating were great, but the show itself is sitting in TABOO's chair

I know I am in the minority in the support for TABOO, but at least that had great songs in it along with great performances, whatever else were its flaws

Al Dente Profile Photo
Al Dente
#12re: did i see a different version of boy from oz??
Posted: 5/10/04 at 10:34am

As usual Papa, you are 2000% right. It was one of the crappiest seasons to come along in a long time. You only need to look at some of the nominees.

PigletH13 Profile Photo
PigletH13
#13re: did i see a different version of boy from oz??
Posted: 5/10/04 at 10:43am

I have a question Al...you said "She has played Judy Garland many times. It's her thing."

I am just curious about another place Ms. Keating played Judy. Yes, she did the voice overs for the PBS show...but to my knowledge...and I could be wrong!!!...she didn't play Judy before BFO started.

Just curious!

addition to the serenity prayer: Help me hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they pissed me off!!! :-)

Al Dente Profile Photo
Al Dente
#14re: did i see a different version of boy from oz??
Posted: 5/10/04 at 10:45am

If memory serves me, she did a whole cabaret act dedicated to Garland. Don't quote me but I think I may be correct.

#15re: did i see a different version of boy from oz??
Posted: 5/10/04 at 11:03am

This idea of whether theater has been inspiring or not is relative to ones own perspective and expectations. Without commenting on what I thought of the show, I can honestly say that it has been a LONG time since I've watched an audience emerge from a theater as excited and energized as the one at Wicked. And if that can be considered inspiring, then the creators were completely successful. I can think of worse places to be taken emotionally by theater.

Tiny_Dancer Profile Photo
Tiny_Dancer
#16re: did i see a different version of boy from oz??
Posted: 5/10/04 at 11:03am

IMHO......I think Stephanie J Block deserved the nom before Beth. But that's just me!

Do Something!!!! www.one.org

jo
#17re: did i see a different version of boy from oz??
Posted: 5/10/04 at 11:09am

I agree about a nomination for Orchestrations for the show. And I also thought it deserved a nomination for choreography.

I am not surprised about Beth Fowler's nomination. I would have liked to see Stephanie get a nomination, too. Last year, they did have three performances for featured actress in NINE all given nominations.

thirdrowcenter Profile Photo
thirdrowcenter
#18re: did i see a different version of boy from oz??
Posted: 5/10/04 at 11:09am

Tiny I agree

PigletH13 Profile Photo
PigletH13
#19re: did i see a different version of boy from oz??
Posted: 5/10/04 at 11:13am

As much as Ilove Beth...I really feel that Stephanie has worked her butt off to make the role of Liza her own. She is absolutely wonderful and gave me chills each time I saw her. TD...you couldn't be more correct!

addition to the serenity prayer: Help me hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they pissed me off!!! :-)

Plum
#20re: did i see a different version of boy from oz??
Posted: 5/10/04 at 12:25pm

I don't think Keating did a cabaret act devoted to Garland- Garland was one of the voices she had to learn for The Rise and Fall of Little Voice, a straight play.

Yes, I'm pretty surprised that Beth Fowler snuck in there, and that BFO got nominated for Best Book. But in the latter case, I think they were just filling in the category. I would have nominated BFO's orchestrations. And maybe put its choreography over Wicked's, considering what everyone's been saying about the latter.

I liked Stephanie J. Block's rendition of She Loves to Hear the Music, but other than that I wasn't really impressed by her performance. Fowler at least provided moments of real feeling. And I'd take Ann Harada over either one of them. Updated On: 5/10/04 at 12:25 PM

PigletH13 Profile Photo
PigletH13
#21re: did i see a different version of boy from oz??
Posted: 5/10/04 at 12:50pm

I don't know...maybe its just me...but Stephanie had me crying like crazy when she as Liza is talking to Peter after Greg's death. It didn't help that she and Hugh were sobbing as well. LOL!

I do love Ann Harada as well...so I wouldn't have minded seeing her in the nominations either.

FrontRow
#22re: did i see a different version of boy from oz??
Posted: 5/10/04 at 3:23pm

I didn't think the book was that bad, for a show created out of pre-existing songs. Compared to Mamma Mia, the book for Boy From Oz is Hamlet.

secret-soul Profile Photo
secret-soul
#23re: did i see a different version of boy from oz??
Posted: 5/10/04 at 3:48pm

I thought that the show itself was not impressive at all. HOWEVER, the talent was. Hugh Jackman and Stephanie Block I would nominate in a second. I would also nominate Mitchel David Federan---before anyone else. Isabel Keating was amazing. Beth Fowler---as much as I love her, was not as good as I expected. And I do agree about this season: it was very very anticlimactic until Assassins. Assassins is I think one of the few and only good things to come out of this season. But before and after it opened has been very disappointing. I'm not saying that there aren't good people out there who deserve the Tony nod--I haven't seen everything or everyone. I'm just saying I hope it picks up next season. :)

Plince! Plince! Nein! T-Rex!!

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#24re: did i see a different version of boy from oz??
Posted: 5/10/04 at 4:00pm

Stephanie J. Block really deserved a nomination.

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher