Hugh Jackman TV interviews

Theatreboy33 Profile Photo
Theatreboy33
#0Hugh Jackman TV interviews
Posted: 5/16/04 at 1:50pm

Over the last two weeks or so, I've had the pleasure of watching Hugh Jackman being interviewed on numerous talk shows, namely Letterman, Ellen, Bob Costas, Regis and Kelly and a few others, and I've been noticing that on every interview, he appears fairly disinterested in his new Van Helsing film and instead attempts to turn all the conversation over to broadway musicals and the boy from oz. And i personally think its adorable. I love how we have this masculine figure who could easily turn into a full time hollywood star, but clearly would rather perform nightly on a stage while singing and dancing. I watch the interviews thinking, I doubt this guy will be in Hollywood too much longer. He just loves the stage too much. Of course he'll do film occasionally, but for the most part, i think he'd rather stick to broadway. Anyone else notice this?

bially082 Profile Photo
bially082
#1re: Hugh Jackman TV interviews
Posted: 5/16/04 at 1:55pm

I've noticed that too. It is cool.

You are young, life has been kind to you. You will learn.

kec Profile Photo
kec
#2re: Hugh Jackman TV interviews
Posted: 5/16/04 at 1:59pm

I wouldn't have said he was disinterested.. rather the people doing the interview, i.e. Leno, talked first about BFO, before devoting a second segment to Van Helsing. Same with Letterman. I haven't seen Ellen or the Bob Costas programs, and I think Regis and Kelly was several weeks ago; nor have I seen The View. But of the talks shows I have seen it seemed as though there was a balance between the two projects -- a few minutes on BFO and a few on Van Helsing.

I'm sure he will return to Broadway in the near future, but he's got a few film projects coming up that sound fairly interesting; The Fountain, directed by Darrin Aronofsky; the third X-Men Film, and, possibly, Sunset Boulevard? *hopeful*

He's also apparently working on a solo CD, so who knows... he may be doing concert tours some time in the future re: Hugh Jackman TV interviews . Updated On: 5/16/04 at 01:59 PM

Type_A_Tiff Profile Photo
Type_A_Tiff
#3re: Hugh Jackman TV interviews
Posted: 5/16/04 at 5:15pm

I've noticed that too, Theatreboy, and I love it! It's not that he's disinterested in Van Helsing, per se, but it's so obvious from the way that his eyes light up and he becomes more animated that he's happier talking about Broadway. It could also be because he's had to do significantly more press junkets for the movie though, and is sick to death of plugging it. (I don't blame him. Crappy movie. But that's a whole other topic.)

"It's not always about you!!!" (But if you think I'm referring to you anyway, then I probably am.)

"Good luck returning my ass!" - Wilhemina Slater

"This is my breakfast, lunch and f***ing dinner right here. I'm not even f***in' joking." - Colin Farrell

Duo Profile Photo
Duo
#4re: Hugh Jackman TV interviews
Posted: 5/16/04 at 5:29pm

I agree. Jackman would much rather do theatre than movies. I just saw him on NY1 On Stage and he called working in the theatre "an act of love." He said he didn't mind all the fuss leading into the award season because it gave theatre much needed exposure. He called affairs like the Tony Luncheon "a celebration" and was happy to attend.

Plum
#5re: Hugh Jackman TV interviews
Posted: 5/16/04 at 6:50pm

It doesn't hurt that the movie was completely bashed by the critics. Admittedly, BFO was bashed, too, but it's gotten over that. And let's face it- his theater parts have been much better than his movie parts over the years. I don't blame him if he prefers to talk about BFO now.

jo
#6re: Hugh Jackman TV interviews
Posted: 5/16/04 at 7:41pm

It's not unusual that actors who are classically trained would look at the theatre as their first love. Until that great movie script comes along - Hugh will probably find greater satisfaction everytime he experiences the connection with the audience that the theatre offers compared to the sometimes tedious aspects of movie-making. He is blessed, as there are not too many top Hollywood names ( whose careers are on the ascendant in movies) who can do both Broadway/West End and Hollywood with equal success. And even more unusual if you are considered a true triple threat.

I hope we can also have the chance to see him perform in dramatic theatre. He has talked about how he has kept in touch with Trevor Nunn ( Les Miserables, Sunset Boulevard, Nicholas Nickleby, Oklahoma!, Aspects of Love, etc...and famed head of the Royal Shakespeare Company and the Royal National Theatre in the UK) because some day they would like to get together for that one play. Henry V, anyone ?

I would not want him to forego movie-making because there are many more opportunities there to show his acting talents - dramatic roles, action movies, comedies, and of course movie musicals! But I would not hesitate to come over just to see him in another role on Broadway or the West End.

Updated On: 5/16/04 at 07:41 PM

Lorelai Profile Photo
Lorelai
#7re: Hugh Jackman TV interviews
Posted: 5/17/04 at 3:29am

Just a bit here:

I remember when Hugh Jackman was on Inside the Actors' Studio recently he did get very excited when he started talking about musicals and such. James Lipton talked to him about "Oklahoma" in London. If I remember, Hugh went out of his way to mention Trevor Nunn and Susan Stroman and briefly talk about that which I found surprising....good, but surprising.

(formerly bronte604) "You really just love money and power and capitalism? You know they're never going to love you back." "Things happen for the best...I don't even believe that myself."

artsy
#8re: Hugh Jackman TV interviews
Posted: 5/17/04 at 5:27pm

Trevor Nunn is one of Hugh Jackman's mentors; so it is not
suprising that he would mention him in an interview.

NuggetMonkeys Profile Photo
NuggetMonkeys
#9re: Hugh Jackman TV interviews
Posted: 5/17/04 at 9:04pm

I find Hugh to be a surprisingly down-to-earth, eager beaver.

-d.b.j-

Vary My Days.

Hank
#10re: Hugh Jackman TV interviews
Posted: 5/17/04 at 9:13pm

I enjoyed the Costas interview on HBO, and I agree with your judgement. It was also cool to hear him belch. At least now I know I can top him in one talent category.

PigletH13 Profile Photo
PigletH13
#11re: Hugh Jackman TV interviews
Posted: 5/17/04 at 9:24pm

While I agree with most everything here...I will say that after watching all of the other talk shows...I found the Ellen interview my least favorite of all. When BFO was brought up, she seemed disinterested and non -responsive to his admiration of Bway. Yes, I know...Ellen is in Hollywood...as is Leno...but he seemed to have more fun with talking about the show than Ellen did.

And here is the thing...I think Ellen's show is adorable! I just wasn't as happy with the interview as I was with let's say...Bob Costas or well...Regis and Kelly...which I was at...so naturally I enjoyed that a great deal. re: Hugh Jackman TV interviews

addition to the serenity prayer: Help me hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they pissed me off!!! :-)

thirdrowcenter Profile Photo
thirdrowcenter
#12re: Hugh Jackman TV interviews
Posted: 5/17/04 at 9:41pm

Piglet I felt the same way. Ellen seemed so distant with Hugh, so removed. When the singer came on (forgot her name) and she was awful in my opinion, Ellen was all over her, she was also thrilled to hear every word Al Roker had to say. He is so easy to interview and is so much fun. I wonder why she gave off such bad vibes, like she couldn't wait for him to leave.

jo
#13re: Hugh Jackman TV interviews
Posted: 5/17/04 at 10:47pm

The DATELINE interview by Katie Couric is a great one. Katie and Hugh even had a brief moment from BEAUTY AND THE BEAST together ( Katie singing and Hugh acting re: Hugh Jackman TV interviews)...And Hugh in a production number from SUNSET BOULEVARD, singing about two lines from the title song ( some 7 years ago). I also enjoyed some of the comical moments he narrated re the filming of VAN HELSING.

Plum
#14re: Hugh Jackman TV interviews
Posted: 5/18/04 at 12:58am

I didn't like the Dateline interview too much. It was barely an interview- just tons of old clips interspersed with Couric practically jumping into Jackman's lap. The Costas one was better- he actually let the man talk. And Jackman's impression of a stoned koala was priceless. :) Updated On: 5/18/04 at 12:58 AM

jo
#15re: Hugh Jackman TV interviews
Posted: 5/18/04 at 1:16am

I have to download the video files from a fansite before I can get to see the telecast interviews ( seeing that we don't get all the stuff here in Manila). I'm downloading the COSTAS interview even now as I type re: Hugh Jackman TV interviews

Updated On: 5/18/04 at 01:16 AM

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#16re: Hugh Jackman TV interviews
Posted: 5/18/04 at 5:45am

Perhaps Ellen was intimidated by Hugh's beauty. HAHA

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher

PigletH13 Profile Photo
PigletH13
#17re: Hugh Jackman TV interviews
Posted: 5/18/04 at 7:24am

Third Row...It was bizarre. I actually felt that way with Goran Visnjic (sp?) as well. (Another favorite of mine!) I wonder just how much she has seen of Hugh. It almost seemed as if she had not seen much but perhaps just X-men which isn't enough to judge him at all. I don't know...it was just bizarre.

I enjoyed the Dateline interview as well...mostly b/c Katie was obviously hooked. I really enjoyedthe Today show follies much more...but then again I prefer when he is allowed to play. (If his hands are gonna go, they are gonna go! re: Hugh Jackman TV interviews

Jo...I know you will enjoy all of the interviews for different reasons....I have no doubt that after watching Costas, you will be happy that you got to see it! re: Hugh Jackman TV interviews

addition to the serenity prayer: Help me hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they pissed me off!!! :-)

jo
#18re: Hugh Jackman TV interviews
Posted: 5/18/04 at 9:54am

Yes, Piglet - I'm still chuckling after watching the COSTAS interview. There was nothing new - but I enjoy it when Hugh is allowed to be a good raconteur, complete with acting out the funny or dramatic moments. He is a good subject to interview because he has no airs and doesn't mind laughing at himself.

thirdrowcenter Profile Photo
thirdrowcenter
#19re: Hugh Jackman TV interviews
Posted: 5/18/04 at 10:09am

Which interview did Hugh imitate his son Oscar trying to fart to impress him? I think Costas, he was so funny.

PigletH13 Profile Photo
PigletH13
#20re: Hugh Jackman TV interviews
Posted: 5/18/04 at 10:43am

I think you are right Third Row.

Videos