#0Richard Chamberlain
Posted: 6/2/03 at 1:52pm

Nice to have him out and about!

And I don't care what anyone says . . . i liked him in "The Sound of Music."

"Sing out, Louise!"

JakeB
#1re: Richard Chamberlain
Posted: 6/2/03 at 1:57pm

Your logo is Honk! Did that only play in England or did it start out in America? I didn't enjoy it that much, nothing that memorable.

Deannaizme Profile Photo
Deannaizme
#2re: re: Richard Chamberlain
Posted: 6/2/03 at 3:55pm

Good for Mr Chamberlain, coming out.

I have to disagree with you about him in Sound of Music. The show was wonderful, but his singing really wasn't all that good. It was much like Robert Goulet in the latest tour of South Pacific.

Just my opinion.

D

kec Profile Photo
kec
#3re: re: re: Richard Chamberlain
Posted: 6/2/03 at 4:25pm

He also sang in what is probably a very little known musical film version of Cinderella called The Slipper and The Rose -- he played the Prince. His voice was ok... but nothing that brought shivers up my spine.

Dollypop
#4The Worst Kept Secret
Posted: 6/2/03 at 4:54pm

Did Richard Chamberlain really think he was hiding something? His homosexuality was well known in the gay community.

If you want to talk about a bad Chamberlain performance, let's discuss his Prof. Higgins in the MY FAIR LADY revival. Everything about that show (except Miss Errico) was so odious I wouldn't know where to begin my diatribe!

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#5re: Richard Chamberlain
Posted: 6/2/03 at 5:45pm

My wife had a crush on him from "The Thornbirds" I got her an 8 by 10 of him in that role. She wanted him to autograph it & we waited outside after "Sound of Music" Laura Benanti came out & my wife asked when he would be coming out . She said soon but he did not sign autographs. She was not feeling good that night but wanted him to sign it so much we waited. When she heard he does not sign, she stopped being a fan and the 8 by 10 slept with the fishes after that night.

Poster Emeritus

#6re: re: re: re: Richard Chamberlain
Posted: 6/2/03 at 5:53pm

Speaking of slipper and the rose...

There is a number that Richard performs in it..with a handsome ballet dancer called Christopher Gable...

..if I remember they jump up and down on beds in it?

I would never speak out of turn or gossip ...but....

I remember YEARS and YEARS ago, a Chamberlain friend/fan, in the know, claimed that the two were "very friendly" during the making of the film and if you watch the number closely, you'll see it.......you'll notice a weird energy...

I re-watched it years later and there is a good deal of "chemistry" there...

Not being a Chamberlain fan and not having that much interest in the whole thing...I don't think I was reading anything into it...

SuttonBebeFaith
#7Honk
Posted: 6/2/03 at 6:06pm

Honk played it's premier American engagement a few years ago in Kansas. A recording was made (the only US recording-Gavin Creel of Millie was in it).

It has become popular with community theaters. I listened to the London cast and was underwhelmed by it. The composers also wrote a musical "3three Muskateers" that premiered in San Jose, California three years ago (with Sutton Foster in the female lead....hmmm..another Millie connection...weird) that BOMBED and led the company into financial disaster to where they no longer produce a season of shows (it's the American Musical heater of San Jose in caseyou're wondering).

Did these guys write "The Fix"?

broadwayguy2
#8chamberlain.
Posted: 6/2/03 at 6:52pm

::sarcastic tone of voice:: That is the most shocking news! I had NO idea Richard Chamberlain was gay!!!!!

Cyndy Profile Photo
Cyndy
#9re: Honk
Posted: 6/2/03 at 11:55pm

The American Musical Theater of San Jose is alive and kicking...and just to throw another Millie connection into the mix--Throughly Modern Millie is on the list for the 2003-2004 season. There were seven shows in the 2002-2003 season and the 2003-2204 season lists six shows. San Jose lost it's symphony last year,let's not kill off it's musical theater before it's time!....now, how to tie this into the original Richard Chamberlain thread???...oh well.

"If there is to be any peace it will come through being, not having." Henry Miller

broadwayguy2
#10re: re: Honk
Posted: 6/2/03 at 11:57pm

Jay Leno joked about the coming out on the Tonight Show. He jokingly said how 'shocking' the news was and the reason it took him so long to do it was that Richard was the last person to know. LOL.

kec Profile Photo
kec
#11re: re: re: re: re: Richard Chamberlain
Posted: 6/3/03 at 4:37am

Voiceanth, they weren't on beds, they were in the Royal mausoleum, standing on top of a couple of tombs, dancing around them and at the end of the song, were lying down on them. :)

#12re: re: re: re: re: re: Richard Chamberlain
Posted: 6/3/03 at 7:43am

OMIGOD! How could I have confused "that" number with the number from "Anchor's Aweigh"...

Many Thanks for the correction...

kec Profile Photo
kec
#13re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Richard Chamberlain
Posted: 6/3/03 at 8:28am

You got the actors right... :) You're welcome

Batty
#14re: re: re: re: Richard Chamberlain
Posted: 6/3/03 at 9:53am

No big news I knew Richard Chamberlain was gay all the time for him now to come out of the closet at 70 no big news. But he had to keep it hidden when he did Dr Kildare in the 60's he wouldnot be able to get a job. I was at the opening at radio city for the slipper and the rose what a movie and he has a nice voice, but the best was the Thornbirds that movie filled me with tears.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#15re: re: re: re: re: Richard Chamberlain
Posted: 6/4/03 at 9:01pm

Next thing they be saying is that Nathan Lane is gay - These are the jokes kids

Poster Emeritus

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#16re: Richard Chamberlain
Posted: 6/6/03 at 12:52pm

& Ian McElln waited till he was in his 60's before offishully anouncing his preferences. So whut?

broadwayguy2
#17re: re: Richard Chamberlain
Posted: 6/6/03 at 1:01pm

........ next thing you know Justin Timberlake is gonna come out and say Britney was just a beard and he will be followed in close suit by bandmates Lance Bass and Jc Chasez, only to him Nick Carter follow in there footsteps.

For the record, Dave Holmes, a former MTV VJay who came out of the closet in an interview stated how there gay artists who frequent the MTV studios and while their sexuality is known to some in the industry, it is not publicly known. He even managed to work in Justin and Britney by saying how there were times on air when he was practically jumper Timberboy's bones and no one picked up on it and commenting about how with the clotsed gay male artists, they always jokingly say "That britney's a hottie, ain't she?" Odd choices of examples, considering both are rumored to be gay. Not to mention another article where he mentions how odd it is that every girl he is rumored to have dated is also rumored to be a lesbian. Just a thought. hmmm.

#18re: re: re: Richard Chamberlain
Posted: 6/6/03 at 4:12pm

I don't think Justin is gay ....bi..Maybe?..

By the way ...has anyone been reading the reviews from the Justin & Christina Tour...Justin had gotten unanimous, fantastic, terrific praise.....I mean, the man is officially the "prince of pop"...

While Christiana's reviews are mixed though every critic acknowledges the fact that the woman is probably the greatest singer of her generation…maybe not the greatest dancer or communicator but the voice is stunning...

I’m seeing them at the Meadowlands in great seats…! I can’t wait! I’m living proof that you can like what’s happening now and still know something like who composed “Lazy Afternoon” and for what show.

broadwayguy2
#19re: re: re: re: Richard Chamberlain
Posted: 6/6/03 at 4:17pm

Yeah, I do agree Justin has more talent than he is given credit for. He is a brilliant performer when you see him live -- he just needs a good outlit for that talent.

Justin is a raging queen. There is no way the boy is straight. I watched the MTV movie Awards last night -- only becasue Latuifah was nominated for Chicago. Timberlake hosted with Seann William Scott. Can we say raging queens??? i was waiting to see who would go down on the other first! Not to mention those Justin/Seann homo-erotic cartoons evry five seconds.

#20re: re: re: re: re: Richard Chamberlain
Posted: 6/6/03 at 4:50pm

As a gay man myself, I'm still iffy about Timberlake and Seann...

I would say in the last 10 yaers, I have seen more "straight" actors posing at being gay than ever in history...

..Like Matt and Ben..

...it's schtick...it's vaudeville...

...they also know gay men and some girls find it sexy and that straight guys probably think its harmless..

It's a gag..a joke..

My theory is if you are REALLY gay ...you DON'T even JOKE about it...

such as that certain icy oscar and Tony winner whose sorta out in space...

or that Guy who used to like to kid, man, but now is boring and single..

Even HINT about THEM being gay and your sued for 80 million dollars...

ASAP!

broadwayguy2
#21re: re: re: re: re: re: Richard Chamberlain
Posted: 6/6/03 at 4:55pm

"Even HINT about THEM being gay and your sued for 80 million dollars"

::cough:: Tom Cruise ::cough::

Some stars joke about being gay to 'soften' the blow - no pun intended- when they come out ala Ellen.

Deannaizme Profile Photo
Deannaizme
#22re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Richard Chamberlain
Posted: 6/6/03 at 5:19pm

Well, maybe Tom Cruise will come out in about 25 years a la Richard Chamberlain.

~D

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#23re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Richard Chamberlain
Posted: 6/6/03 at 5:22pm

well, it certainly is a great way to revive a dying career for some--but I won't name names. =)

Batty
#24re: re: re: re: re: re: Richard Chamberlain
Posted: 6/8/03 at 10:40am

Excuse me Nathan Lane is gay sorry.

Videos