pixeltracker

MOST EMBARASSING MOMENT OF TONY'S

MOST EMBARASSING MOMENT OF TONY'S

Addison DeW
#0MOST EMBARASSING MOMENT OF TONY'S
Posted: 6/9/03 at 12:05am

I love Hugh Jackmand and think it is wonderful he hosted. But WHO wrote that version of SOLILOQUOY he sang? It was painfully unfunny.

Sarah J P and Matthew were charm personified- maybe THEY should host some year!

And congrats to everyone who was nominated- it is not as easy path

Drama Guy
#1re: MOST EMBARASSING MOMENT OF TONY'S
Posted: 6/9/03 at 12:07am

I thought Hugh Jackman was totally charming! He also kept the show going by not adding all kinds of BS throughout, as past hosts have done.

theaterbuff
#2re: re: MOST EMBARASSING MOMENT OF TONY'S
Posted: 6/9/03 at 12:09am

I thought that he did a great job at the host. He should have sung something from The Boy from Oz instead of just plugging it.

TheaterBuff

I LOVE NEW YORK THEATER!

KB
#3re: re: re: MOST EMBARASSING MOMENT OF TONY'S
Posted: 6/9/03 at 12:11am

I agree that Hugh was great. I would have recommended a pony tail though.

KB

bestofbroadway
#4re: re: re: re: MOST EMBARASSING MOMENT OF TONY'S
Posted: 6/9/03 at 12:13am

Bernadette losing to Marissa. Not only the most embarassing moment of the night, but possibly the most embarassing moment ever for the Tony Awards.

Dame Edna Profile Photo
Dame Edna
#5re: re: re: re: re: MOST EMBARASSING MOMENT OF TONY'S
Posted: 6/9/03 at 12:24am

I disagree.
Marissa earned her award and Bernadette has 2 Tony awards so she will live. I just hope she stays well long enough for me to see her in Gypsy.
She gave a great performance tonight.

I love New York Theater
Updated On: 6/9/03 at 12:24 AM

AndrewClay
#6re: re: MOST EMBARASSING MOMENT OF TONY'S
Posted: 6/9/03 at 12:27am

Yes Bernedette has won 2 Tony's but I still say that Mama Rose is a much more challenging part than Marissa's is.

Andrew

LiTtLeDaNcEr729 Profile Photo
LiTtLeDaNcEr729
#7re: re: re: MOST EMBARASSING MOMENT OF TONY'S
Posted: 6/9/03 at 12:49am

It may be a more challenging par, but if Marissa is better at playing Tracy then BP is at playng Rose...then she deserved to win. I know that Marissa is AWESOME as Tracy, I haven't seen Gypsy yet- I'm going in August with Camp Broadway...I'll be able to really have an opinion on whether BP was robbed...but fo ow-I'll leave it at that.

SuttonBebeFaith
#8re: re: re: re: MOST EMBARASSING MOMENT OF TONY'S
Posted: 6/9/03 at 2:27am

A challenge is a challenge ONLY if you meet it.

She gave a nice performance. She gave her all and in the end, it was just fine.

Marrisa took the challenge and walked off with the show.

So what's all fuss about???

Albin Profile Photo
Albin
#9Tony Low-Lights
Posted: 6/9/03 at 8:07am

3. Sarah Jessica Parker's dress. It's nice to know you are wearing panties dear, but do you really need to show them to us?

2. No nominations for "The Look of Love".

1. The performance of Hairspray. In a word, dreadful. It seemed as though they were trying to hard.

Dame Edna Profile Photo
Dame Edna
#10re: Tony Low-Lights
Posted: 6/9/03 at 8:24am

Albin-
The Look Of Love had a few shining moments but on the whole it was nothing that special. It was not in the same league as the other shows.
It was entertaining to a few of us(I admit I liked it) but compared to Hairspray ha ha ha no!

I love New York Theater

BrdwyThtr Profile Photo
BrdwyThtr
#11re: re: Tony Low-Lights
Posted: 6/9/03 at 10:17am

Isn't Look of Love closing this week?

orion59 Profile Photo
orion59
#12 re: Tony Low-Lights
Posted: 6/9/03 at 11:02am

Let's talk about some of the things the winners and presenters should have been embarassed about.

Vanessa Redgrave....would a little lipstick have hurt? Was she going out of her way to look as old and dowdy as possible with that grey beadspread she had draped oevr herself and not a bit of make up?

Hugh Jackman was way too much fun flipping the hair extensions around.....hmmm

Chita....I love her, I adore her, I think she is a goddess but, that wig has got to go. She needs something that isn't light absorbing black with a less harsh style.

http://www.danperezgallery.com

Albin Profile Photo
Albin
#13re: re: Tony Low-Lights
Posted: 6/9/03 at 11:15am

Extensions? I thought it was real...

TxTwoStep Profile Photo
TxTwoStep
#14re: re: Tony Low-Lights
Posted: 6/9/03 at 11:18am

I also thought in terms of nominations that IMAGINARY FRIENDS was robbed, and sometimes by plays that closed longer ago and more quickly than it did. For pity's sake, if FROG & TOAD deserved a nomination...

I think I'm gonna start a thread about it and see what kind of response I get. Did anyone else see it?

Will: They don't give out awards for helping people be gay... unless you count the Tonys. "I guarantee that we'll have tough times. I guarantee that at some point one or both of us will want to get out. But I also guarantee that if I don't ask you to be mine, I'll regret it for the rest of my life..."

orion59 Profile Photo
orion59
#15re: re: re: Tony Low-Lights
Posted: 6/9/03 at 11:18am

I was watching with some girls who drool over him constantly and seem to know everything about him. They said they were extensions. I don't know. Personally, I don't see the appeal of this guy.

http://www.danperezgallery.com

PigletH13 Profile Photo
PigletH13
#16re: re: re: re: Tony Low-Lights
Posted: 6/9/03 at 11:32am

They are extensions for his role in Van Helsing that he is filming in LA. Personally I thought he was charming and I am counting the days until first preview of BFO!

PigletH13
(Who also wished that Hugh would have sang something from BFO last night!)

addition to the serenity prayer: Help me hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they pissed me off!!! :-)

TheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
#17re: re: re: re: re: Tony Low-Lights
Posted: 6/9/03 at 1:55pm

How about the way Twyla Tharp stomped up on stage like a truck driver, and then didn't even smile! You're in a dress, and you just won a Tony; have some class!

I didn't like the fact that they cut to a shot of Bernadette after it was announced that Marissa won. They didn't do that with any other nominees (at least none that I noticed). It was a low blow on the Tony's part.
Thankfully, Bernadette has poise and elegance. I would have loved to see her give the finger to the camera and shown the true New-Yorker inside. I don't think she was completely surprised by her loss (she does have 2 already, and she was sick for a while). I do think she was surprised that Gypsy didn't get Best Revival. A friend of mine saw her in the lobby after the awards and said Bernadette looked a little upset; but I think it was because Gypsy didn't win anything, and she might feel responsible for that considering that the show rests on her shoulders.

"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~

broadwayguy2
#18re: re: re: re: re: re: Tony Low-Lights
Posted: 6/9/03 at 2:54pm

They cut to Antonio several times after harvey was announced and was heading to the stage.

Twyla scares me a little after last night. Did anyone notice how when they called her name, she was alrady half way down the aisle???? Even if you know you won before hand, that is just wrong. Seeing that, I wished that Jerry would have JUST so that she would have looked like a damn fool.

bestofbroadway
#19re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Tony Low-Lights
Posted: 6/9/03 at 3:00pm

First that is not the case at all. Twyla heard her name and then she got up. Don't over exaggerate. Twyla may not be the most charasmatic person in the world but she is a brilliant choreographer that Jerry Mitchell can't even come remotely close to.

broadwayguy2
#20re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Tony Low-Lights
Posted: 6/9/03 at 3:03pm

No, I saw where she was sitting and I saw where she was when they said her name. She was half up the aisle.

BillyLawlor Profile Photo
BillyLawlor
#21No, she was sitting!
Posted: 6/9/03 at 3:15pm

I just watched the choreographer award being presented on my tape, and she had gotten up after they said her name, so you DID exaggerate, and for everyone's information, SHE DID SMILE!

bestofbroadway
#22re: No, she was sitting!
Posted: 6/9/03 at 3:55pm

Thank you Billy Lawlor. Some people just think they know everything. I loved the look on Jerry's face as she walked up the aisle several people around Jerry stood as he just sat there. I can't believe he actually thought he had a chance with his choreography "based on five moves"

CJR
#23re: re: No, she was sitting!
Posted: 6/9/03 at 4:08pm

I found Marissa more deserving of the Tony than Bernadette and I'm glad she won. Im in no way saying that Bernadette's not talented and that I don't like her. To the contrary, I like her a great deal. But I can't say Rose is one of her better performances. She personally is wonderful, and she has her shining moments. But she doesn't embody the role and in short I don't buy if 99% of the time.

Ah well, such is life :)

"You're every gay man's wet dream!" ~ MA

If in Heaven you don't excel, you can always party down in hell...

Dollypop
#24re: re: MOST EMBARASSING MOMENT OF TONY'S
Posted: 6/9/03 at 5:29pm

Bernadette's rendition of "Rose's Turn" was hideously dreadful. The range of the song is beyond her vocal ability and she was pushing so hard for the lower notes that per pitch was waivering. She sounded extremely hoarse in that register. When the music got up to her "comfort zone" she sounded fine, but her sweet, little girl voice is not what the character of Rose is about.

Additionally, she looked horrible. Now, I'm not demeaning her physical looks: Bernadette Peters is lovely. However, I think the television cameras were in the orchestra pit and were shooting "up" at her. It gave her a deformed look, that was only accentuated by her wig and costume. She looked like a little Italian woman from Bensonhurst who would be more at home in a pork store than on a Broadway stage.

Would someone please tell Bernadette that this she is woefully miscast in this role and that she should step down gracefully so that Patti LuPone or Betty Buckley can take over. The integirty of the show is at stake!

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)