pixeltracker

For those knowledgable about voice...a problem

For those knowledgable about voice...a problem

ShbrtAlley44 Profile Photo
ShbrtAlley44
#0For those knowledgable about voice...a problem
Posted: 7/20/04 at 2:24pm

I was singing this morning and suddenly when I tried to hit high notes, I felt a rasp in my throat. Almost like a honking. It's weird. Now every time I go for a high note, I get the rasping. What's wrong? Did I just strain my voice?

M J R Profile Photo
M J R
#1re: For those knowledgable about voice...a problem
Posted: 7/20/04 at 2:33pm

As a rule, don't go for the high notes in the morning - you should take alot of time warming up, especially the low - as you go on, gradually go higher, but all in a mix - no belting - after your body and voice are going, then slowly add more air and get into the "full voice" sound.

The rasp could be any number of things - sinus draining, lack of rest, dehydration...to have literally strained a vocal chord, is a possibility, but highly unlikely from just warming up.

Remember that when you sleep, your body heals itself - and it rations that "healing energy" as to what is most vital for your survival - your voice is NOT vital to your survival, and therefore you need to be really well rested in order to be in top shape vocally.

Drink some "throat coat" tea with honey - no lemon - I'm sure you'll be fine.

"High time we made a stand and shook up the views of the common man" - Tears for Fears

ponine24601
#2re: For those knowledgable about voice...a problem
Posted: 7/20/04 at 2:35pm

yeah, basically what MJR said. i get that sometimes from being dehydrated. just drink something warm and it should be gone.

"People asking questions, lost in confusion. Well I tell them there's no problems, only solutions." ~The one and only John Lennon

thtrehead12 Profile Photo
thtrehead12
#3re: For those knowledgable about voice...a problem
Posted: 7/20/04 at 7:16pm

you have nodes! haha just joking.

they're right.

MusicPos2 Profile Photo
MusicPos2
#4re: For those knowledgable about voice...a problem
Posted: 7/20/04 at 9:42pm

Problems with high notes are usually not an issue, it's if you're getting those symptoms with mid-range. I would still check with a voice teacher to be sure because no one here should be diagnosing you without hearing it themselves. I agree that I wouldn't worry, but it could be that you're doing something wrong when you're warming up, and you need to be careful. Check out www.nats.org (National Association for Teachers of Singing) for a list of teachers in your area. Where are you located? I'll let you know if I can help you or know someone that can.

bronxboundexpress Profile Photo
bronxboundexpress
#5re: For those knowledgable about voice...a problem
Posted: 7/20/04 at 9:47pm

Just squeeze you butt together and push the notes out as hard as you can even if it hurts! jk

MusicPos2 Profile Photo
MusicPos2
#6re: For those knowledgable about voice...a problem
Posted: 7/20/04 at 9:54pm

Don't joke about that, people do it.

bronxboundexpress
#7re: For those knowledgable about voice...a problem
Posted: 7/20/04 at 9:56pm

You would like to know that I actually had a musical director for a show who said to do that. I hope they didn;t give private lessons!

MusicPos2 Profile Photo
MusicPos2
#8re: For those knowledgable about voice...a problem
Posted: 7/20/04 at 9:58pm

I've met students that take lessons from people like that. The scary thing is that when I teach them the right way to do it, they don't believe me, or they make fast progress, but go right back to their teacher and lose everything.

bronxboundexpress
#9re: For those knowledgable about voice...a problem
Posted: 7/20/04 at 10:22pm

I have the best voice teacher in the world. I'd bet money on it!

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#10re: For those knowledgable about voice...a problem
Posted: 7/20/04 at 10:33pm

don't even get me started on voice teachers...I spent 3 years with one who I just left..started with a new one last week and have learned 3 years of stuff in 1 day that I didn't learn in 3 years spent with the other teacher. apparently the vocal exercises my old teacher was showing me can cause very serious vocal problems/nodes and my ENT doctor has informed me I have a very bad strain in my throat due to this stuff. Updated On: 7/20/04 at 10:33 PM

bronxboundexpress
#11re: For those knowledgable about voice...a problem
Posted: 7/20/04 at 10:45pm

My voice teacher of 5 years is the one you just started with.

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#12re: For those knowledgable about voice...a problem
Posted: 7/20/04 at 10:46pm

who me? how do you know which teacher i started with? there are 1000s in nyc.

Videos