Wicked tonight-review

Pink
#0Wicked tonight-review
Posted: 7/21/04 at 12:35am

Wicked was awesome tonight!!! JLT was fabulous!! She's perfect as Glinda. Her vocals are so rich and powerful. I actually liked her "popular" better then Kristin's. She was dead on with the acting and has great comedic timing. She and Idina seemed to have chemistry already. I was very impressed. I can't rave enough about her. You all have to see her in it.

Joey-he has a good voice. He needs to work on the acting but it will all come together with more time. He can sing really well. I was surprised by that as well. I have never seen him perform before.

George-also with time, he will grow into his role.

At the end, Idina gave JLT her own bow and then she stood aside to let the new 3 take a bow but they pulled her in.

The stage door was as crowded as always.

Overall, it was JLT's night and it was obvious. She's amazing! GO SEE HER!

Paul LW Profile Photo
Paul LW
#1re: Wicked tonight-review
Posted: 7/21/04 at 12:36am

Wonderful!!!

Go JLT!!!

We all knew she could do it!

MadeofGold Profile Photo
MadeofGold
#2re: Wicked tonight-review
Posted: 7/21/04 at 12:37am

Thanks so much for the review! I actually love Joey (he was great in Tick, Tick...boom) and look forward to seeing him this week!

Good to know that JLT was fabulous. I can't wait to see her! re: Wicked tonight-review

"... Still a little bit of your taste in my mouth. Still a little bit of you laced with my doubt. Still a little hard to say what's going on..." Damien Rice

insomniak
#3re: Wicked tonight-review
Posted: 7/21/04 at 12:38am

Thanks! I've been wondering if anyone could fill Cheno's shoes in that role, and it's good to hear that JLT can.

BroadwayMonkey Profile Photo
BroadwayMonkey
#4re: Wicked tonight-review
Posted: 7/21/04 at 12:43am

Yay for JLT! I'm glad she did so excellent. She looks really nice as Galinda, doesn't she?

Real men are tenors.

cvapb Profile Photo
cvapb
#5re: Wicked tonight-review
Posted: 7/21/04 at 12:44am

YAY! Thanks for the review! I can't wait to see it in September~

zoran912 Profile Photo
zoran912
#6re: Wicked tonight-review
Posted: 7/21/04 at 12:49am

I'm even more excited! One week! I can't wait!!!

broadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
#7re: Wicked tonight-review
Posted: 7/21/04 at 12:50am

Thanx so much, Pink. I've been a fan of JLT since Urinetown and I'm trilled to hear she's doing so well re: Wicked tonight-review Updated On: 7/21/04 at 12:50 AM

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#8re: Wicked tonight-review
Posted: 7/21/04 at 12:56am

Hope I get the chance to see her.

Did she do anything differently than Chenoweth - script wise?

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

zoran912 Profile Photo
zoran912
#9re: Wicked tonight-review
Posted: 7/21/04 at 12:58am

How was it with the much feared absense of the coluratura notes?

insomniak
#10re: Wicked tonight-review
Posted: 7/21/04 at 12:59am

What was her delivery like? Cheno did it so well.

Paul LW Profile Photo
Paul LW
#11re: Wicked tonight-review
Posted: 7/21/04 at 12:59am

Bwahahaha!

Probably horrible!

=)

zoran912 Profile Photo
zoran912
#12re: Wicked tonight-review
Posted: 7/21/04 at 1:02am

HAHAHAHA J-LA SUCKS YOU LOSERS OH MY GOD GET A LIFE!!!

I had to do it. I love J-La.

thtrehead12 Profile Photo
thtrehead12
#13re: Wicked tonight-review
Posted: 7/21/04 at 1:05am

Joey-he has a good voice. He needs to work on the acting but it will all come together with more time. He can sing really well. I was surprised by that as well. I have never seen him perform before.

i have faith in the boy. he did the filmed version of "the fantasticks" a couple of years ago and although he over-stylized some of the songs, his voice was decent.

Pink
#14re: Wicked tonight-review
Posted: 7/21/04 at 1:43am

The script was exactly the same. Her delivery was similar to Kristins but not exactly the same-which is good because she probably would not be as funny if she was imidating Kristin. From what I noticed, she hit every note that Kristin hit. Not one difference. She hit beautifully the high note at the end of Thank Goodness. Someone in the audience even yelled out "Yeah!" So I don't know what she was talking about in the interview. She may have hit it tonight because it was he first night or whatever but I hope she does it every night. From where I was sitting, the sound was a little weird so it was kinda hard to hear the high notes in No One Mourns the Wicked but she definetly was singing some high notes! They didnt take anything down an ocatave or anything.

She's taller then Idina on stage which was strange to see at first but it really didnt matter. People in the audience were very impressed with her. I was listening at intermission. I used to hear how amazing Idina was but people were talking about both of them today!

zoran912 Profile Photo
zoran912
#15re: Wicked tonight-review
Posted: 7/21/04 at 1:46am

That is so good to hear. I think that she was trying to be modest in that interview.

thtrehead12 Profile Photo
thtrehead12
#16re: Wicked tonight-review
Posted: 7/21/04 at 1:48am

zoran, my userpic is me.

shesings
#17re: Wicked tonight-review
Posted: 7/21/04 at 1:50am

yay! if anyone has any more details... or finds pics anywhere let us know. i keep checking the wicked site for the updated gallery .... i wish they'd hurry up. though i hope they don't remove all the old rehearsal pics. i think its nice to leave some reminder of the original cast

bronxboundexpress Profile Photo
bronxboundexpress
#18re: Wicked tonight-review
Posted: 7/21/04 at 1:50am

Is she filling Cheno's shoes or Glinda?

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#19re: Wicked tonight-review
Posted: 7/21/04 at 1:52am

Wow. I won't say anything.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Pink
#20re: Wicked tonight-review
Posted: 7/21/04 at 1:54am

you just have to hear that girl sing. what a talent.

bronxboundexpress Profile Photo
bronxboundexpress
#21re: Wicked tonight-review
Posted: 7/21/04 at 1:55am

I[m talking about comparing JLT to Cheno. Do you think she's focused on what Cheno did or is she focused being her won Glinda.

shesings
#22re: Wicked tonight-review
Posted: 7/21/04 at 1:56am

i figured she was being modest in the review b/c I can hit all the notes Cheno did(except when she sometimes goes up the octave at the end of "good news" to a g above a high c), and I'm certainly not a coloratura ... i hesitate to even call myself a soprano!

musicaltheatreman
#23re: Wicked tonight-review
Posted: 7/21/04 at 2:14am

what is a coloratura?? thanks :)

zoran912 Profile Photo
zoran912
#24re: Wicked tonight-review
Posted: 7/21/04 at 2:29am

In essence, a coluratura is a very high soprano.

Videos