pixeltracker

Dance Of The Vampires................

Dance Of The Vampires................

Phantom05 Profile Photo
Phantom05
#0Dance Of The Vampires................
Posted: 6/29/03 at 2:20am

I know that this subject is continuously brought up but what the heck!!! There seem to be a lot of mixed feelings on Broadway's short-lived production of Dance Of The Vampires. If you liked the show explain in detail why, and also if you didn't like it try to explain in as nice of a way as possible what you thought was wrong with the show, and any suggestions on how they could have fixed it.

See Ya!!!

Phantom05

------- "We Drink Your Blood And Then We Eat Your Soul, Nothings Gonna Stop Us Let The Bad Times Roll" -------"Past The Point Of No Return, No Backward Glances, Abandon Thought And Let The Dream Begin"

IssaMe
#1re: Dance Of The Vampires................
Posted: 6/29/03 at 9:03am

It should have opened in the West End (where it would have been done somewhat differently for a lot of reasons) and then after several years - opened on Broadway.

Broadwaylady Profile Photo
Broadwaylady
#2re: re: Dance Of The Vampires................
Posted: 6/29/03 at 9:21am

Please, this is like beating a dead horse. This was discussed on the other board millions of times. Give it a rest already.....

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by moments that take our breath away." "Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain."

ChristineDaae Profile Photo
ChristineDaae
#3re: re: re: Dance Of The Vampires................
Posted: 6/29/03 at 11:23am

omg! Dance of the Vampires was the best! I thought it was good. Critcs were to harsh on it! The music and acting was great!!

"Life will be frozen peaches and cream. Baby, dream Your Dream" ~ SC

lensman Profile Photo
lensman
#4re: re: re: re: Dance Of The Vampires................
Posted: 6/29/03 at 3:15pm

>omg! Dance of the Vampires was the best! I thought it was >good. Critcs were to harsh on it! The music and acting was >great!!

I wouldn't go that far. It was a fun romp. In a season that saw "Frog and Toad," "Mamma Mia" and "Urban Cowboy" it certainly should have stuck around longer. Also I think the two romantic leads should have been nominated as well as Rene Abujois (sp) for his vampire hunter. I think the set design should have been recognized and the song "Sarah" should have been nominated... but none of this is material since the Tony Committee decided to return their tickets and never saw the show!

BrdwyThtr Profile Photo
BrdwyThtr
#5re: re: re: re: re: Dance Of The Vampires................
Posted: 6/29/03 at 5:59pm

Excuse me, but Mamma Mia did not open this season. It opened last season.

Phantom05 Profile Photo
Phantom05
#6re: re: re: re: re: re: Dance Of The Vampires................
Posted: 6/29/03 at 7:00pm

Why did the Tony Awards committee decide not to even see the show? That seems odd, don't you think?

Thanks!

------- "We Drink Your Blood And Then We Eat Your Soul, Nothings Gonna Stop Us Let The Bad Times Roll" -------"Past The Point Of No Return, No Backward Glances, Abandon Thought And Let The Dream Begin"

PJ
#7re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Dance Of The Vampires................
Posted: 6/29/03 at 7:19pm

It also is a bit rude. How'd they know that there wasn't going to be a Tony worthy performance taking place. Good or Bad, I think each new show should have an equal oppurtunity. Besides, I actually wanted to see Dance of the Vampires. I of course didn't...but who knows...maybe someday in the future there'll be a revival. My oh my...wouldn't that be nifty. haha

broadwayguy2
#8re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Dance Of The Vampires................
Posted: 6/29/03 at 7:35pm

I think the main issue was that the american producers scrapped the staging that had been hugely successful overseas and reworked everything. Key rule -- If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Phantom05 Profile Photo
Phantom05
#9re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Dance Of The Vampires................
Posted: 6/29/03 at 7:38pm

I agree, if you have seen the original Vienna or Stuttgart version, you would realize how amazing it is in it's original form!!!! Why did those morons change it so much, sheeeeesh!!!

broadwayguy2
#10re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Dance Of The Vampires................
Posted: 6/29/03 at 7:43pm

.. that is my one reservation about the upcoming TABOO. The London production worked, but it is being reworked completely for broadway. Ah well... at least I get to see Cary Shields in someting other than Rent -- which I loved him in!

Phantom05 Profile Photo
Phantom05
#11re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Dance Of The Vampires................
Posted: 6/29/03 at 7:54pm

Really what did they change about the London Taboo????

PJ
#12re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Dance Of The Vampires................
Posted: 6/29/03 at 7:57pm

I'm pretty sure it's an all new script. I think I also read somewhere that they have or were going to add a few more characters that were not in the London run.

broadwayguy2
#13re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Dance Of The Vampires................
Posted: 6/29/03 at 7:58pm

among other changes, there are new characters and a lot less audience interaction -- the lawyers are afraid that an audience member will not like it and sue.

Sunfish
#14other boards
Posted: 6/29/03 at 8:34pm

I think it is a reasonable question for THIS board. The members of other boards have been so snide about this show that nothing productive came of the discussion.

I enjoyed Dance of the Vampires and have to agree with whoever posted that the two young leads should have been nominated as well as set and score. I too think it was rude that the Tony nominators turned the tickets back in, but I suppose with the early closing most Tony voters wouldn't have seen it anyway. I do wish it hadn't previewed on Broadway; it wasn't ready and instantly became a joke. No matter how much the show improved (and I think it improved greatly) it simply wasn't recognized. It was just "too cool" to bash it.

broadwayguy2
#15re: other boards
Posted: 6/29/03 at 8:36pm

i agree that the sets should have gotten a nod. Gallo did an amazing jpb designing the show. Max and Mandy are great as well. Personlly, I LOVE Max's voice -- he can sing to me any day. Updated On: 6/29/03 at 08:36 PM

Phantess Profile Photo
Phantess
#16re: re: other boards
Posted: 6/29/03 at 9:41pm

I LOVED it and still do. I think people/ critics were expecting a very Phantomy story line and when they didn't get it they were disappointed. I love Phantom but I also love DOTV.
I thought everything about it was fantastic (better than Mamma Mia!) The lighting, the costumes, the dancing, the spectical, the music EVERYTHING!
Mandy is definately my favorite. Max was just adorable.
I think the Tony committee was just being incredibly selfish. Amour was less known than DOTV and yet it STILL got nominated.

I hoep they revive it somewhere where it will be appreicated. Maybe New York wasn't the best place to start off. And I've listened to the stuff that was cut...I honestly liked the first draft version better than the modified.

Playbill Profile Photo
Playbill
#17DOTV
Posted: 6/29/03 at 11:41pm

I really liked DOTV. But I also enjoyed Urban Cowboy - ??? Maybe I have bad taste? Or maybe the critics are wrong. In any case, I loved the music in DOTV. Many of the songs just stuck in my head (in a good way). The scenery was the best I've seen in a while (definately deserved a tony nod). Mandy Gonzalez played one of the strongest **female** leads I've yet to see. The cast, as a whole, was fantastic. Although I believe the more serious German version would have been a better production. And, although I do like Michael Crawford, I don't think he was the best person for the role of the Count. Anyway, I loved the show. I wish I could see it again. Frankly, I don't understand all of the criticizm.

CourtneyM Profile Photo
CourtneyM
#18re: DOTV
Posted: 6/29/03 at 11:50pm

i loved dotv more than any other show i have ever seen. i also like urban cowboy but whatever. anyway dotv had an amzing cast and a great score and set. i admit i have never seen the stuggart production so i can't compare the two but i ca say dotv was the best. people were looking for it to be serious and it wasn't. there were a few serious parts but for most of it it was funny a spoof...something i suppose the critics have never heard of. oh well there's always bootlegs...

One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art-Oscar Wilde

Phantom05 Profile Photo
Phantom05
#19re: re: DOTV
Posted: 6/30/03 at 12:00am

LOL, I have a bootleg too!!! They're great!!!!!!!

See Ya!!!

Phantom05

Updated On: 6/30/03 at 12:00 AM

Bwaybaby109
#20re: re: re: DOTV
Posted: 6/30/03 at 12:09am

Yeah I've seen the bootleg as well! It's totally awesome! re: re: re: DOTV

"Have a child for warmth and a baker for bread and a prince for... whatever!"

LittleAngelMaker Profile Photo
LittleAngelMaker
#21re: Dance Of The Vampires................
Posted: 6/30/03 at 12:11am

I saw DOTV several times and each time was better than the last. It had jelled perfectly just as they announced that it was closing. It's a shame.

I didn't mind the bad reviews so much as the nasty personal remarks that were made about Michael C, Rene A, and Ron O. Reviews are one thing, but personal attacks are uncalled for.

Phantom05 Profile Photo
Phantom05
#22re: re: Dance Of The Vampires................
Posted: 6/30/03 at 12:30am

I was soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sad when DOTV ended up closing!!!!! I thought that it was soooooooooooooooooo amazing!!!!

Well Anyways, BYE!!!

Phantom05

Sally Profile Photo
Sally
#23re: other boards
Posted: 6/30/03 at 12:49am

"It was just "too cool" to bash it."

Too true.

IssaMe
#24re: re: other boards
Posted: 6/30/03 at 7:36am

Add to the list of shows which have been fairly heavily rewritten for Broadway - "The Boy from Oz"...the original was the most successful locally-originated musical in Australian history - a massive hit there...but was considered to be a bit "too Australian" for Broadway.

I for one, don't like the changes. But I do agree that, as now re-written, it is MUCH better suited for Broadway and American audiences. Too much of the original might have depended on a fairly comprehensive knowledge of Peter Allen's life & career... and "things Australian" which one cannot assume with non-Australian audiences.

The creative staff knows what it is doing and will do it well --- but, I still prefer the original thus far.

Videos