Belting

Roxie Profile Photo
Roxie
#0Belting
Posted: 7/26/04 at 5:21pm

As a serious MT student in my grade 12 year with mainly head voice I am getting frustrated with not having the option to belt. I know that it's a really touchy subject with the voice becasue it can be extremely harmful if not done corectly. Does anyone have any tips/exercises for starting to develop a belt?

bronxboundexpress Profile Photo
bronxboundexpress
#1re: Belting
Posted: 7/26/04 at 5:23pm

You probably aren't a natural belter. Most people aren't really belting when you think they are. Idina Menzel is NOT belting.

Roxie Profile Photo
Roxie
#2re: Belting
Posted: 7/26/04 at 5:26pm

What?

bronxboundexpress
#3re: Belting
Posted: 7/26/04 at 5:27pm

You probably aren't a natural belter. Most people aren't really belting when you think they are. Idina Menzel is NOT belting.

Elphie6689 Profile Photo
Elphie6689
#4re: Belting
Posted: 7/26/04 at 5:29pm

When first starting to belt i was taught to sing a little through my nose just until i could get it down.. it helps. Also many people don't belt as bronxboundexpress says. They use a mix, which is a combination of belting and your head voice. Some people have great trouble getting taht down though

"And if I'm flying solo.. at least I'm flying free..."

Roxie Profile Photo
Roxie
#5re: Belting
Posted: 7/26/04 at 5:29pm

yeah I got that, I can read. I just thought that Idina was belting. At times I think it sounds like she's screaming actually.

bronxboundexpress
#6re: Belting
Posted: 7/26/04 at 5:30pm

Yeah, Idina Menzel does not know what she is doing. It's a simple yell she's doing. Sounds good though.

Elphie6689 Profile Photo
Elphie6689
#7re: Belting
Posted: 7/26/04 at 5:33pm

Updated On: 7/27/04 at 05:33 PM

Roxie Profile Photo
Roxie
#8re: Belting
Posted: 7/26/04 at 5:46pm

I listened to it. That was great. You have a very strong voice! How old are you or were you when you did that?

ponine24601
#9re: Belting
Posted: 7/26/04 at 5:46pm

cool i'm gonna watch.

"People asking questions, lost in confusion. Well I tell them there's no problems, only solutions." ~The one and only John Lennon

bronxboundexpress
#10re: Belting
Posted: 7/26/04 at 5:49pm

Watch your pitch on the end of the song. I also think your voice is a little young for that song. Those high notes will come later. The guards were cool. This song with just a piano part is boring. Nice job.

aspiringguy715 Profile Photo
aspiringguy715
#11re: Belting
Posted: 7/26/04 at 5:51pm

That song is amazingly hard to do without all the action on stage, but you pulled it off fine...good job!

ponine24601
#12re: Belting
Posted: 7/26/04 at 5:52pm

wow. holy crap! that was really good!! great belting ability!! on some parts i just think the arm movements were a little too much.

"People asking questions, lost in confusion. Well I tell them there's no problems, only solutions." ~The one and only John Lennon
Updated On: 7/26/04 at 05:52 PM

bronxboundexpress
#13re: Belting
Posted: 7/26/04 at 5:53pm

Elphie, what does your voice teacher say about that performance?

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#14re: Belting
Posted: 7/26/04 at 5:56pm

Elphie, you live in CT? So do I! A lot of the info in the news kind of gave it away. What city are you from?

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

MyNameInLights Profile Photo
MyNameInLights
#15re: Belting
Posted: 7/26/04 at 6:09pm

I watched it too! It gave me goosebumps girlfriend!

"The stage is where I live and come alive and act out all the things that go on in my life. It's not just what I do for a living, it's my shrink and my love affair. No one in my life has ever or ever will kiss me on the mouth like this lover called my relationship with my performance."

PJ
#16re: Belting
Posted: 7/26/04 at 7:30pm

I always get goosebumps when I hear live singing. I had them the entire time during "Gypsy" and "Wicked."

Elphie6689 Profile Photo
Elphie6689
#17re: Belting
Posted: 7/26/04 at 8:39pm

well i'm only 15... my voice teacher has been in the buisness but not that much...she liked the song alot...but i recently just got 2 other voice teachers who teach broadway stars...for all those that liked it thanks!

Updated On: 7/28/04 at 08:39 PM

MusicPos2 Profile Photo
MusicPos2
#18re: Belting
Posted: 7/26/04 at 8:45pm

Idina definitely knows what she's doing, and she is belting. Belting refers to the movement of the larynx to make a mix between head and chest sound like a full chest. No one should be singing a high F with a full chest. Belting is not harmful if done correctly, so you need to find a classical teacher that knows belting technique. If you're in NYC, I can recommend a few teachers for you. If not, check out the NATS website and call someone that is listed for musical theatre: www.nats.org. I usually tell my students to think of belting like they're whining. Just remember: if it hurts, it's wrong! How old are you? Many teachers think that you should be in HS before you learn belting: I don't completely agree with them, but you have to be extra careful if you're not.

ponine24601
#19re: Belting
Posted: 7/26/04 at 8:53pm

i'm i HS and I belt, but it has never hurt me before. i'm not sure if I am using the right technique or not. my voice teacher is classically trained, so she is training me to use my head voice mostly.

Elphie6689 Profile Photo
Elphie6689
#20re: Belting
Posted: 7/26/04 at 8:56pm

well im only 15... but i'm trying to learn how to mix more but it doesnt hurt when i belt...its very comfortable for me but since i've been training more this summer i've learned more technique, but i'm thinking about getting a classical teacher also

MusicPos2 Profile Photo
MusicPos2
#21re: Belting
Posted: 7/26/04 at 8:57pm

You really don't want two teachers, you need a teacher that knows both. Ponine, as long as your teacher knows pedagogy, that's fine: I introduce belting in ES b/c that's what kids want, I'm just really really careful to make sure that it isn't screaming.

ponine24601
#22re: Belting
Posted: 7/26/04 at 8:58pm

your voice is awesome! just thought i'd tell you that.

Elphie6689 Profile Photo
Elphie6689
#23re: Belting
Posted: 7/26/04 at 9:03pm

who's voice? im confused... lol

MusicPos2 Profile Photo
MusicPos2
#24re: Belting
Posted: 7/26/04 at 9:04pm

I think she's referring to the link above.

Videos