Definitive Joseph

AnothaPartofMe
#0Definitive Joseph
Posted: 8/12/04 at 9:52am

How many productions of "Joseph..." have we all seen? From Donny Osmond, Bill Hutton, Sam Harris, Jon Secada, David Cassidy, and the endless list of others-- Who has been the definitive Joseph?

And if she'll say, "My darling, I'm yours!" I'll throw away my striped tie and my best pressed tweed, all I really need is the girl...

Glebb Profile Photo
Glebb
#1re: Definitive Joseph
Posted: 8/12/04 at 9:54am

I've only seen Joseph once and it was not on Broadway. I do adore my OBC recording. It does not sound pop.

" ...the happiness in the tune convinces me that I'm not afraid."

beacon1
#2re: Definitive Joseph
Posted: 8/12/04 at 9:57am

I saw it once in Toronto and it was with Donny Osmond. Great show and I have the Canadian Cast recording.Love it.

Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?

Patrick Wilson Fans --New "UnOfficial Fan Site". Come check us out!

Patrick Wilson Yahoo Group

Patrick Wilson Facebook Fan Page

jo
#3re: Definitive Joseph
Posted: 8/12/04 at 9:57am

I saw Jason Donovan at the West End...and Philip Schofield, after Jason. I like Jason's interpretation of the role.

MusicalDirector109
#4re: Definitive Joseph
Posted: 8/12/04 at 1:19pm

At the Walnut Street Theatre in Philly -a few seasons ago. Laurie Beechman and Sal Vivano were wonderful!!!

timote316
#5re: Definitive Joseph
Posted: 8/12/04 at 2:10pm

Well, Donny Osmond was in the movie, so I'd have to say him.

I loved Sam Harris on the '93 Grease CD, but I can't really picture him as Joseph...

tcoppola
#6re: Definitive Joseph
Posted: 8/12/04 at 3:33pm

MD109-

It must have been quite a while ago---Laurie Beechman passed away in '98.

Michelleruth2 Profile Photo
Michelleruth2
#7re: Definitive Joseph
Posted: 8/12/04 at 3:37pm

I only saw Donny Osmond in the role. I really enjoyed the production!

MusicalDirector109
#8re: Definitive Joseph
Posted: 8/12/04 at 3:38pm

I believe it was 1990 (Christmas time) in Philly.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#9re: Definitive Joseph
Posted: 8/12/04 at 3:45pm

Obviously, Max Von Essen is the best and hottest Joseph ever, but as far as any CD goes, my favorite is the video SOUNDTRACK (it really is a soundtrack) because it has recorded the extended dance numbers in One More Angel and the apache dance in Canan Days and it's the complete show, pretty much... lol. Despite Donny not being my favorite Joseph, but his voice is more than serviceable...

Jersey_Girl Profile Photo
Jersey_Girl
#10re: Definitive Joseph
Posted: 8/12/04 at 3:57pm

Saw the show on Broadway with Michael Damien (sp) about 4 times. He was the best!!! Partick Cassidy was very good also - I see this one every chance I get.

Cyndy Profile Photo
Cyndy
#11re: Definitive Joseph
Posted: 8/13/04 at 1:46pm

Hey Cats...you saw Max von Essen last summer at Music Circus in Joseph??? I've only seen Donny in the video and Max von Essen live, but I'd definately go with Max as my favorite Joseph. Max was great in this role. Loved his first entrance (which got a little gasp from the audience each performance) and how he sang the first round of "Any Dream Will Do" as kind of a dreamlike lullaby to the sleeping "little" Joe. His "Close Every Door" was also a definate highlight of the show. I can't wait to see him as Jesus in Jesus Christ Superstar in a few weeks at Music Circus.

"If there is to be any peace it will come through being, not having." Henry Miller
Updated On: 8/13/04 at 01:46 PM

NuggetMonkeys Profile Photo
NuggetMonkeys
#12re: Definitive Joseph
Posted: 8/13/04 at 1:49pm

Joseph is a horrible show, I think.

Pathetic, flashy, stupid, thapid, lloyd webber...

-d.b.j-

Vary My Days.

Cyndy Profile Photo
Cyndy
#13re: Definitive Joseph
Posted: 8/13/04 at 2:17pm

I found it to be fun and cute. The production I saw (not sure how other live productions do it) told the story as if it were a dream being dreamed by a current day little boy named Joesph, who had just been told a bedtime story about Joseph and the coat of many colors. Because it was a little boys dream, the different styles of music and the anachronistic elements like the Elvis/Pharoah thing worked rather well.

"If there is to be any peace it will come through being, not having." Henry Miller

TTL Profile Photo
TTL
#14re: Definitive Joseph
Posted: 8/13/04 at 3:29pm

I saw the Broadway revival w/ Michael Damian and Kellie Rabke. It was my first B'way show. The recording i like. Kellie Rabke was great as the Narrator! I didn't care much for Maria Friedman's peformance in the film..Although she is fabulous in the video HEY! MR.PRODUCER : The Musical World of Cameron Mackintosh.

Jaynrand Profile Photo
Jaynrand
#15re: Definitive Joseph
Posted: 8/13/04 at 3:57pm

I've have seen MANY of the Josephs mentioned.

I guess my favorite one was Jason Donovan (many years ago) in London - but I also liked Sam Harris on tour.

Donny Osmond was okay....Michael Damian was not as good as I thought he would be... The problem I had with Osmond was that he was almost too old for the part, and Damian (and a couple of others) were just too precious.

As for the show itself, well it is what it is. I like it with a couple of reservations, but it is fun!

#16re: Definitive Joseph
Posted: 8/13/04 at 5:22pm

Michael Damian was pretty good.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#17re: Definitive Joseph
Posted: 8/13/04 at 5:26pm

It's funny, I saw the show in the '80s and I have no idea who played Joseph, but I remember Sharon Brown leaving a great impression as the Narrator.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

broadwayguy2
#18re: Definitive Joseph
Posted: 8/13/04 at 5:32pm

I saw Joe Machota as Joseph.. wow

ponine24601
#19re: Definitive Joseph
Posted: 8/13/04 at 5:33pm

really? i heart joe. i think being in a production of 'joseph......coat' was enough for me.

"People asking questions, lost in confusion. Well I tell them there's no problems, only solutions." ~The one and only John Lennon

broadwayguy2
#20re: Definitive Joseph
Posted: 8/13/04 at 5:35pm

yep.. I was lucky to see him. AMAZING guy onstage and off.. total sweetheart every time you talk to him, a great talent, and gorgeous to boot.. total package

Videos