Kristen VS. Jennifer Laura

Pink
#1re: Kristen VS. Jennifer Laura
Posted: 8/23/04 at 7:57pm

JENNIFER LAURA IS SO MUCH BETTER!!!!!!!!!! She brings so much more to the character then Kristin. Although I liked Kristins Glinda, Jennifer has a better voice and his SO FUNNY!!!

BwayTheatre11
#2re: Kristen VS. Jennifer Laura
Posted: 8/23/04 at 7:58pm

I have not seen Wicked, but have more of a desire to see Jennifer than Kristen.

CCM '10!

My Fair Lady Profile Photo
My Fair Lady
#3re: Kristen VS. Jennifer Laura
Posted: 8/23/04 at 7:59pm

I saw Wicked with Kristin but I might see it again because I saw Eden (who was amazing) instead of Idina.

broadwayinthebigcity Profile Photo
broadwayinthebigcity
#4re: Kristen VS. Jennifer Laura
Posted: 8/23/04 at 8:00pm

I saw Kristen and will be sieng Laura this Winter I will let you know...

"as good or quite likely better than any other show with killer rabbits and a legless knight opening on Broadway this season." -Eric Idle on SPAMALOT

LiTtLeDaNcEr729 Profile Photo
LiTtLeDaNcEr729
#5re: Kristen VS. Jennifer Laura
Posted: 8/23/04 at 8:04pm

I saw both- they were both great in the role. I think Kristin's Glinda was more perky and silly, whereas JLT's was a LITTLE more down to earth. JLT had some great physical comedy moments and I was really impressed by her voice. I don't think there is a BEST Glinda.

Besides...why does there have to be a "best?"

Trisky Profile Photo
Trisky
#6re: Kristen VS. Jennifer Laura
Posted: 8/23/04 at 8:05pm

I've seen three Glinda's, Melissa Bell Chait, Kristin and JLT and I have to say, I think overall I enjoyed JLT's Glinda more. It's not necessarily that she's the more talented actress or even more talented singer, but I felt like she understood Glinda in a way that Kristin didn't, and she understood that Wicked is essentially Elphaba's story.

Since Melissa was the first Glinda I saw, I think I felt less married to Kristin's interpretation and was actually a little bothered by Kristin the first time I saw her, because I found her Glinda very distracting to the story. The few times I saw her afterwards, I grew to appreciate her comedic timing, but still liked her best when she was not *on* all the time.

JLT brings much more emotional depth to Glinda, IMO, and I get a sense from her Glinda that there's a real desire for that power somewhere lurking under the bubbly exterior, unlike Kristin, whose Glinda just seemed like a bubblehead that was never truly changed by Elphaba.

There were also some spots where JLT made me laugh harder than Kristin ever did. Overall though Kristin probably had the better comedic timing.

Vocally I think they're pretty comparable.

So, adding it all up, JLT comes out on top.

"Too young to hold on and too old to just break free and run" - Jeff Buckley
Updated On: 8/23/04 at 08:05 PM

nychick9876 Profile Photo
nychick9876
#7re: Kristen VS. Jennifer Laura
Posted: 8/23/04 at 8:09pm

i've only seen JLT but she was AMAZING!! i have the sound track with Kristen. i enjoyed JLT's voice and her physical acting was very comedic. i loved her. shes very talented and even reminded me of Kristen somewhat.

sometimes i think my head is so big because it is so full of dreams- the elephant man

#1Elphie Profile Photo
#1Elphie
#9re: Kristen VS. Jennifer Laura
Posted: 8/23/04 at 8:16pm

yeah, I've only seen Kristin but I can't wait to see JLT, either. I'm going in December. I saw and loved JLT in Urinetown and Footloose, and I think she's a great actress. I can't wait to see how she plays Glinda, I've heard only good things about her in the role. I'd like to see more depth to the character, so I'm glad to hear that she is adding that.

#10re: Kristen VS. Jennifer Laura
Posted: 8/23/04 at 8:16pm

i have jlt singing popular and she sounds AMAZING! this may be weird, but i have a desire to see melissa bell chait.

Trisky Profile Photo
Trisky
#11re: Kristen VS. Jennifer Laura
Posted: 8/23/04 at 8:17pm

Melissa Bell Chait was fantastic. Wicked was barely on Broadway for a month at that point, I believe. Other than being a little nervous at first, she didn't miss a beat.

"Too young to hold on and too old to just break free and run" - Jeff Buckley

elphie bowles Profile Photo
elphie bowles
#12re: Kristen VS. Jennifer Laura
Posted: 8/23/04 at 8:25pm

i saw jlt and i thought she was awesome!! she had me laughing so hard. I would have liked to have seen kristen though. IDINA IS AMAZING!!

broadwayinthebigcity Profile Photo
broadwayinthebigcity
#13re: Kristen VS. Jennifer Laura
Posted: 8/23/04 at 8:30pm

I cant imagine anyone except for kristen playing galinda but im anxious to see jlt.

"as good or quite likely better than any other show with killer rabbits and a legless knight opening on Broadway this season." -Eric Idle on SPAMALOT

BwayTheatre11
#14re: Kristen VS. Jennifer Laura
Posted: 8/23/04 at 8:31pm

From what I have heard/seen, she is awesome!

CCM '10!

ponine24601
#15re: Kristen VS. Jennifer Laura
Posted: 8/23/04 at 8:38pm

i wish that i could hear jlt. i've been trying to find clips forever!

"People asking questions, lost in confusion. Well I tell them there's no problems, only solutions." ~The one and only John Lennon

#16re: Kristen VS. Jennifer Laura
Posted: 8/23/04 at 8:38pm

i've got a clip.

ponine24601
#17re: Kristen VS. Jennifer Laura
Posted: 8/23/04 at 8:39pm

lucky.

"People asking questions, lost in confusion. Well I tell them there's no problems, only solutions." ~The one and only John Lennon

#19re: Kristen VS. Jennifer Laura
Posted: 8/23/04 at 8:43pm

no it's not on a website sorry!

ponine24601
#20re: Kristen VS. Jennifer Laura
Posted: 8/23/04 at 8:46pm

re: Kristen VS. Jennifer Laura darnit.

PJ
#21re: Kristen VS. Jennifer Laura
Posted: 8/23/04 at 8:50pm

It's KRISTIN. Not KRISTEN. Sorry that just irks me.

Kristin was untouchable as Glinda as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure JLT is giving a fine performance at the Gershwin these days, but Cheno will always reign supreme.

zoran912 Profile Photo
zoran912
#22re: Kristin VS. J-La
Posted: 8/23/04 at 9:18pm

I did not see Kristin's performance, but I greatly enjoy her performance on the OBC recording. I saw J-La, who I thought was amazing. She wasn't, however, the kind of amazing that makes you wish that she was on the recording instead of Kristin. Kristin is amazing and so is J-La. I imagine that the next actress to play Glinda will be amazing as well. I'm pulling for Christiane Noll.

JC14
#23re: Kristin VS. J-La
Posted: 8/23/04 at 9:21pm

Kristin was better. JLT's good, needs more time...Kristin's better.

LittleFish8386 Profile Photo
LittleFish8386
#25re: Kristin VS. J-La
Posted: 8/23/04 at 9:23pm

That's my girl PINK!

I probably shouldn't even respond to this question, b/c no one is better then Jen in anything. But I will say that Kristin had a more solid voice----but who am I kidding?

Jen freaking RULES!

WiCkEd4LyFfE
#26re: Kristin VS. J-La
Posted: 8/23/04 at 9:24pm

I saw Kristin and saw JLA in Footloose. I might go back in December around Christmas time to see Idina and JLA because i saw Eden and Kristin back in late June. Eden I can not stress enough was fablous! If you are in town go see BROOKLYN!!!

*Kristen*

ponine24601
#27re: Kristin VS. J-La
Posted: 8/23/04 at 9:24pm

haha. i wish that i had seen jenn in something. i'm dying for clips of her in anything!

Derek2
#28re: Kristin VS. J-La
Posted: 8/23/04 at 9:29pm

I saw them both. They are both excellent. Glinda was originated by Kristin and she brought much character to the role. She has an excellent voice and is very funny. JLT was also very good. There were certain parts in her performance that I personally liked better than Kristin, but that doesnt really mean she's the best. JLT is so funny though, she keeps her voice at one level when she's telling her jokes and doesnt emphasize anything, which strangely makes it funnier. I enjoyed JLT's version of Popular better, however I enjoyed Kristin's No One Mourns The Wicked and For Good better. It depends. Both are great. You could not have asked for anything more :)

Videos