Broderick in Brighton Beach

JoizeyActor Profile Photo
JoizeyActor
#0Broderick in Brighton Beach
Posted: 8/23/04 at 10:56pm

Does anyone have a clue as to how old Matthew Broderick was when he played Eugene in 'Brighton Beach Memoirs' on Broadway?

When casting this show, do you think it's better to have someone older like 17-18 play Eugene, than someone who is 13 or 14?

CurtainUp Profile Photo
CurtainUp
#1re: Broderick in Brighton Beach
Posted: 8/23/04 at 11:10pm

probably get someone who is older, and REMEMBERS the age of 13-14, so they can use nostalgia to help them develop that role. A 13 year old can't look back on being 13, a 17 year old could. 16 might be a good age

Rosencrantz: "Be happy - if you're not even HAPPY what's so good about surviving? We'll be all right. I suppose we just go on." - from Tom Stoppard's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

MargoChanning
#2re: Broderick in Brighton Beach
Posted: 8/23/04 at 11:14pm

Broderick had just had his 21st birthday when "Brighton Beach" opened in 1983. His understudy, Timothy Busfield (later of "30 Something") was 26. Broderick's replacements (Jon Cryer, Fisher Stevens, Josh Hamilton) were all in their 20s.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

Tesse Profile Photo
Tesse
#3re: Broderick in Brighton Beach
Posted: 8/23/04 at 11:20pm

Years ago, when I did a community production of BBM, our Eugene was thirteen years old, and fantastic in the role. I suppose if a younger actor is mature for his age, he can handle it.

Man, that's a fun show. I should re-read that!

"I hate musicals... People don't sing in real life."
"Well, maybe they should."
--Kiss of the Spider Woman (cut line)

MargoChanning
#4re: Broderick in Brighton Beach
Posted: 8/23/04 at 11:21pm

I remember when I saw it that Zeljko Ivanek Stanley the older brother came across as in his early 20's (which he was) and that Broderick gave off the impression of how a (talented) 20-something guy woud play a teenager.

Age is not nearly as important as finding someone who can handle Simon's rat-a-tat comedic rhythms -- there are a half dozen jokes per page (as well as poignant moments later) and not many 14-16 year olds have the technique to completely handle those demands. Which is why the Broadway production and the later road tours cast young-looking 20-somethings as Eugene.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
Updated On: 8/23/04 at 11:21 PM

JoizeyActor
#5re: Broderick in Brighton Beach
Posted: 8/23/04 at 11:28pm

Great. I recently played Stanley in Brighton Beach Memoirs and I was 17 at the time, I'll be turning 18 in a few weeks. But one of the theatre companies nearby has Brighton Beach up for its new season, and I was considering auditioning possibly for Eugene this time in case they were casting older. I'm relatively young looking, and I think Eugue is such an awesome role that I may not be able to ever play again as the years start going by. I think Eugene has so many sides to himself and he experiences a wide variety of emotions. I'll have to just go and see what happens I suppose.

Thanks for all the help!

BWayBoy88
#6re: Broderick in Brighton Beach
Posted: 8/23/04 at 11:28pm

Another reason adults were used was because teen actors cost more. You need to get tutors on top of the weekly salary.

JoizeyActor
#7re: Broderick in Brighton Beach
Posted: 8/23/04 at 11:33pm

I suppose that's true, too. I can't believe Matthew was in his 20s. Did anyone here get to see it on Broadway? I know that's a stretch, but you never know!

MargoChanning
#8re: Broderick in Brighton Beach
Posted: 8/23/04 at 11:34pm

I'd definitely go up for Eugene if I were you -- such a great part (as you know). It all depends on how they decide to cast Stanley (Ivanek was 25 in the original, by the way).

JoizeyActor
#9re: Broderick in Brighton Beach
Posted: 8/23/04 at 11:36pm

It's about 45 minutes away according to Mapquest. Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and make the drive for rehearsals since NOBODY near my seems to want to do a show that has a teenage male in it this year. Grrr.

MargoChanning
#10re: Broderick in Brighton Beach
Posted: 8/23/04 at 11:41pm

I saw Matthew and Zeljko in the original production -- their ages never gave me a second thought (Matthew still looked like a teenager a decade later). Being able to make Simon's constant one liners seem like they come from a real three-dimensional character, with the the proper combination of innocence and street smarts is the main reason an actor will be cast as Eugene.

JoizeyActor
#11re: Broderick in Brighton Beach
Posted: 8/23/04 at 11:43pm

Margo is so wise.

judy_in_disguise
#12re: Broderick in Brighton Beach
Posted: 8/23/04 at 11:55pm

I played Laurie in BBM when I was 13. I was the only one of the right age.
Our Eugene was about 16, our Nora was a young looking 22 year old, and our Stanley was in his early twenties.
I agree with the nostalgia bit. I didn't have that advantage, but I did have the advantage of being a fresh, untainted 13 year old.
What a great show, I miss it so much!

JoizeyActor
#13re: Broderick in Brighton Beach
Posted: 8/23/04 at 11:59pm

It's such a great show. Aw, it makes me smile just thinking about it. It was the first show that I felt connected to everyone in my cast. We were a family!

But I was in an all teenager cast, so I'm hoping to do the show again with the appropriated aged actors! I think maybe because it was the first show that I played someone my age that I loved it so much and I did so well (or so I was told).

SamIAm Profile Photo
SamIAm
#14re: Broderick in Brighton Beach
Posted: 8/24/04 at 11:11am

I agree, Margo. It's easier to find an early 20's actor who looks young. They have more experience and can get more out of the words and delivery.

"Life is a lesson in humility"

amgor
#15re: Broderick in Brighton Beach
Posted: 8/24/04 at 8:31pm

Actually Josh Hamilton wasn't a replacement. He was a stand-in. At the time, 1984, Josh was 14.

I did see Brighton Beach twice. Once in the Summer of 1983 with a stand-in, Evan Handler, replacing Fisher Stevens at a Matinee. I had a chance to see it again in the winter of 1984 with Matthew Broderick. I can't believe it's 20 years! Matthew has always been one of my favorite actors.

Peace,
Ann
Josh Hamilton website

BroadwayPhil Profile Photo
BroadwayPhil
#16re: Broderick in Brighton Beach
Posted: 8/24/04 at 11:05pm

I saw this show way back '83 sounds about right, could have been MB just didn't know it or care at the time. Cool !

Don't be the Bunny ....

Videos