pixeltracker

Has anyone seen THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL

Has anyone seen THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL

InTheMoney Profile Photo
InTheMoney
#0Has anyone seen THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL
Posted: 8/28/04 at 2:40pm

Hi,

We're doing THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL at my amdram group (subject to contract Lol) and I was wondering if anyone here has seen it? If you have, I was wondering if you could give me your input on a few things:

Firstly, as I'm interested in auditioning for the role of Marguerite I would like to know which Marguerite you saw, how it was interpreted (if possible) and what you thought of that interpretation? I would also be interested to hear reviews of the interpretation of the other characters, particularly Chauvelin, Percy and the Bounders.

Secondly, I'd be interested in any thoughts you have/had about the set/lighting/props/costume.

Finally, how would you advertise this show? It will be our second production at our new venue so we don't have a solid audience base yet. Very few potential audience members will know the show. I would be interested in any ideas for maximising interest right from the start.

Thanks loads.
ITM

Fieruby
#1re: Has anyone seen THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL
Posted: 8/28/04 at 2:44pm

I saw the original version when it 1st came out. Sadly, I barely remember it i was like 7 or 8 (sorry!). I do remember though the sets were highly detailed which drew me in, and the opening number was *huge*... loads of energy. Also, the costumes were authentic looking. Everything looked highly realistic and I got captivated and thought I was in that time period. You should concentrate on some little details just to make everything seem more real: texture on the bricks, candles, engravings. Also oh wow the one song I remember was into the fire and some of the people actually held torches and it was so motivational and moving. It'll be an amazing play ^_^ and good luck!!

PB ENT. Profile Photo
PB ENT.
#2re: Has anyone seen THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL
Posted: 8/28/04 at 7:19pm

I've seen several Marguerites. It's tough to say who was best. They all were different. I'd have to say my three favorites were Christine Andreas, who played the part as a sassy, little Frency. Some people have a problen with her pronounced vibrato, but I'm not one of them. I think she oooozzes talent and she is a sweet woman.

Carolee Carmello played it full and lush as did Rachel York. Both were so wonderful to watch and hear. Amy Bodner was more sweet and reserved but still very good.

I hosted groups to SP back in the day, which was the only reason I saw it saw often.

I fell hard for Doug Sills Percy though! He was perfection!

www.pbentertainmentinc.com BWW regional writer "Philadelphia/South Jersey"
Updated On: 8/28/04 at 07:19 PM

InTheMoney Profile Photo
InTheMoney
#3re: Has anyone seen THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL
Posted: 8/29/04 at 4:46am

Oooooh yes. Doug Sills is a GOD!

Thanks for your help guys. re: Has anyone seen THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL

ITM

(Keep those opinions coming)

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#4re: Has anyone seen THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL
Posted: 8/29/04 at 5:39am

weren't their like 15 different versions of this show. i remember they kept on open and closing with a different cast each time..what was up with that? Updated On: 8/29/04 at 05:39 AM

InTheMoney Profile Photo
InTheMoney
#5re: Has anyone seen THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL
Posted: 8/29/04 at 8:55am

There were 3 Broadway versions and 1 tour. (With only 2 Percys (Ron Bohmer taking over for SP3 before handing back to Doug Sills for the tour), but 4 Marguerites and 4 Chauvelins.) As far as I can make out, the Producers insisted on rewrites to the show several times. Which I think is a shame, as for me the original was the best version in terms of music/lyrics - I've not read the original script.

I hate the number of times YOU ARE MY HOME is used - it was far better with BELIEVE as the wedding song, but I do prefer I'LL FORGET YOU to ONLY LOVE so that I think was a change worth making. Not too happy they cut the LULLABY either - that's my chance of a solo gone. *scowl in the direction of the MD's wife who'll certainly get Marguerite*.

You see, I have the facts and know the music ok, but I'm missing info on productions.

venticelli Profile Photo
venticelli
#6re: Has anyone seen THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL
Posted: 8/29/04 at 9:05am

Doug Sills Percy was indeed perfection - good luck with your production!

"What could a computer do with a lifetime supply of chocolate? I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do with a lifetime supply of chocolate!"

InTheMoney Profile Photo
InTheMoney
#7re: Has anyone seen THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL
Posted: 8/29/04 at 11:21am

Ok. My piccies didn't work. How do you get piccies on this forum? Updated On: 8/29/04 at 11:21 AM

meagan9848 Profile Photo
meagan9848
#8re: Has anyone seen THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL
Posted: 8/29/04 at 10:51pm

I've been in the SP twice...if you have anymore questions (I'm a little late on this thread) PM me and we'll chat re: Has anyone seen THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL

Idina: Somehow I got myself to the stage, came out at the end of the show, and I had some kind of closure.
Some guy: You looked great!
Idina: Thanks...I WAS SO HIGH! 8/21/05

Delphine Profile Photo
Delphine
#9re: Has anyone seen THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL
Posted: 8/29/04 at 11:26pm

I just saw the show a week ago. It was a fabulous production, if I may say. The Marguerite I saw was very good, not the best, but very good. She didn't go heavy on the French accent with her songs, but rather toned down the vibrato and went for a very "pop" feel. It worked perfectly. She was also very stand-offish and cold towards Percy, and stopped trying to reach out towards him early in the show. Take that as you will.

I wish I could give you more info, but best of luck!

lc1965 Profile Photo
lc1965
#10re: Has anyone seen THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL
Posted: 8/29/04 at 11:32pm

please don't worry about what anyone else has done -- use your best acting skills & re-create the role for yourself! break a leg ... and have a wonderful time.

Murder By Music at Dillons 9/9, 16, 23, 30 www.murderbymusic.com

Musetta1957 Profile Photo
Musetta1957
#11re: Has anyone seen THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL
Posted: 8/30/04 at 3:45am

I've seen the show three times. Once was the national tour with Douglas Sills. The second was a big regional production which was really awful. The third was the very recent big regional production at the Sacramento Music Circus with Brad Little and William Michals.

Learning from all of these, what I can offer you some advice is: don't put Chauvelin in anything magenta, BE CONSISTENT WITH ACCENTS, and remember that Percy is not a moron, even when he's pretending to be one.

rockfenris2005
#12re: Has anyone seen THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL
Posted: 8/30/04 at 3:45am

I really like this! When are they going to revive it?

Who can explain it, who can tell you why? Fools give you reasons, wise men never try -South Pacific

wally
#13re: Has anyone seen THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL
Posted: 8/30/04 at 2:14pm

I actually preferred Ron Bohmer as Percy. He eventually did the tour as well, after Douglas left and the actor who took over got sick.

You Are My Home was done for the wedding, and a short reprise between Marguerite and Armand in versions 2-3. You make it sound like it is used alot...I only saw the tour twice, was it done more than that? I know the ending was changed, I didn't really like it. I believe that is the version that is available.

Delphine Profile Photo
Delphine
#14re: Has anyone seen THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL
Posted: 8/30/04 at 2:57pm

I must agree with Musetta on the accents. At the Sacramento Music Circus version, it was very unsettling to have a Marguerite with a French accent and a Chauvelin with a British one, and the fops with British accents and Percy with an American one. Accents are more important than you might immediately think. Updated On: 8/31/04 at 02:57 PM

Contributor
#15re: Has anyone seen THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL
Posted: 8/30/04 at 4:16pm

If you liked Ron Bohmer in PIMPERNEL, be on the lookout early next month for a BroadwayWorld.com interview with him, as his latest show opens -- a revival of Gershwin's "Of Thee I Sing" at Paper Mill Playhouse.

Musetta1957
#16re: Has anyone seen THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL
Posted: 8/31/04 at 2:13am

"I must agree with Musetta on the accents. At the Sacramento Music Circus version, it was very unsettling to have a Marguerite with a French accent and a Chauvelin with a British one, and the fops with British accents and Percy with and American one. Accents are more important than you might immediately think"

I'm not sure what William Michals was doing. I love his Chauvelin and all, and his voice is great, but his accent is, like you said, more British than French.

Brad Little had a tremendous problem keeping a consistent accent, often in the same damn sentence! He was a really fun Percy, but hearing all those "r"s and such, it just took me out of the moment. Even the awful Percy I saw in a regional production had a better accent.

Don't get me started on Leah Hocking's accent, whatever that was...

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#17re: Has anyone seen THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL
Posted: 8/31/04 at 2:15am

16 people saw it on Broadway. They then left to be seat fillers at the Tony's.

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

PB ENT. Profile Photo
PB ENT.
#18re: Has anyone seen THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL
Posted: 8/31/04 at 9:52am

Sum~ not sure what you mean, but the times I hosted people, the orchesta at the Minskoff, which is a cold, big barn, was full and half the mezz. It was fun to buy the $20 seat and move on down to the front Mezz. though! The show had a history of internal problems for sure, but I still think it is a delightful, fun musical. They always got a great ovation. Sills and Mann always stole the show. Times I was there, everyone walked out happy.

Musetta~ I could never figure out the accents either. Marg. should sound French, so should Chauvlin. Percy & the League should sound British. I guess the inconsistancy can draw away from the show a bit.

Still, I would love to have seen Brad & William, whom I think are two very talented guys!

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#19re: Has anyone seen THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL
Posted: 8/31/04 at 10:02am

Carolee Carmello saved the evening for me and gave a wonderful performance in spite of the fact that the show is so poorly written. She can make a trashy romance novel sound like the bible...that woman can interpret a lyric and give a line reading so superior to the material - I don't know why someone hasn't written her a hit yet.

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

PB ENT. Profile Photo
PB ENT.
#20re: Has anyone seen THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL
Posted: 8/31/04 at 10:59am

Oh! Redhot! your icon speaks volumes about your passion for Wildhorn, possum. But I'll respect you nonetheless. I do love Carolee. Did you at least like her interpretation of Emma on the J&H Concept CD with Warlow?

Updated On: 9/2/04 at 10:59 AM

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#21re: Has anyone seen THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL
Posted: 8/31/04 at 11:05am

Ent - I have not heard that concept album because I am simply not a fan - (puhleeze don't make me say it again, mommy!LOL)...but Carolee is a goddess in my humble opinion - I loved her in Parade and Kiss Me Kate and Pimpernell...I actually first saw her in a tour of Falsettos in South Florida back in the early 90's and thought, when she sang "I'm Breaking Down" - now THERE'S a star in the making.

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

glitzguy3 Profile Photo
glitzguy3
#22re: Has anyone seen THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL
Posted: 8/31/04 at 11:09am

i actually liked the show much more than i anticipated.

Musetta1957
#23re: Has anyone seen THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL
Posted: 9/2/04 at 5:31am

No "e" in Warlow, Pati.

No extra "l" in Pimpernel, red.

PB ENT. Profile Photo
PB ENT.
#24re: Has anyone seen THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL
Posted: 9/2/04 at 8:14am

True, thank you for spoting that... always appreciate extra editors in my life. :)