Maggie Benjamin

#0Maggie Benjamin
Posted: 9/5/04 at 3:39pm

Can anyone tell me anything about her? I'm having some trouble finding things out like why she doesn't do RENT longer, does she do any other shows, does she do any solo stuff? I really hope she has a CD out there or something... she's so talented. I saw her in RENT twice and she took my breathe away.

Delphine Profile Photo
Delphine
#1re: Maggie Benjamin
Posted: 9/5/04 at 3:41pm

All I know is that she had been doing RENT for years. She probably just got bored and wanted to advance her career and challenge herself with new material. I can't blame her for leaving.

But knowing how she always seems to return to the show, I won't be surprised if she's back playing Maureen in a year or two.

Crazy4MattMorrison52 Profile Photo
Crazy4MattMorrison52
#2re: Maggie Benjamin
Posted: 9/5/04 at 3:41pm

i saw her in rent 2 times. she left rent on july 17th i was there but she been leaving and going back into rent for while now. you can google her and go to the first page that came up its pretty good

"gimme a bottle of bourbon and half a chicken and i'll conquer the world!"

#3re: Maggie Benjamin
Posted: 9/5/04 at 3:45pm

yeah, ive been to that site. i really want to see her in other shows or get a CD she made but i don't think they exsist right now.... re: Maggie Benjamin

oh btw, im new here - guess i should introduce myself, im jess lol

Delphine Profile Photo
Delphine
#4re: Maggie Benjamin
Posted: 9/5/04 at 3:50pm

Howdy Jess! Welcome to the boards! You're gonna love it here!

zoran912 Profile Photo
zoran912
#5re: Maggie Benjamin
Posted: 9/5/04 at 3:54pm

Maggie hasn't done any other BWay shows, has she? I don't think that she has. I'd like to see her in another role. Penny in Hairspray?

#6re: Maggie Benjamin
Posted: 9/5/04 at 3:55pm

thanks, i like your icon btw

Delphine Profile Photo
Delphine
#7re: Maggie Benjamin
Posted: 9/5/04 at 4:00pm

Thank you, darling!

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#8re: Maggie Benjamin
Posted: 9/5/04 at 4:01pm

Maggie Benjamin is wonderful. She's gorgeous and a fantastic Maureen.

#9re: Maggie Benjamin
Posted: 9/5/04 at 4:02pm

she really is <3

#10re: Maggie Benjamin
Posted: 9/5/04 at 4:21pm

do you know what i heard about maggie benjamin? i don't mean to spred rumors or anything but i heard that matt caplan's song (if you haven't seen him play at "the bitter end" on bleeker street, i highly recommend you do. sign up for his mailinglist) autograph was written about her. that isn't very flattering, especially the way he introduces the song at shows.... but i still think she's wonderful lol. i always get chills when i hear her sing take me or leave me.

J-Pill Profile Photo
J-Pill
#11re: Maggie Benjamin
Posted: 9/5/04 at 5:09pm

I LOVE Maggie Benjamin. I saw her in RENT this past June.
She's brilliant as Maureen. Her "Over the Moon" is untouchable. I don't think I've ever laughed harder.

Her voice far surpasses Idina's on the OBCR. She has incredible range... and doesn't make those godawful squeaky noises. GAH.

I'm sad she left Rent, but very glad I got to see her.
Hope she has projects in the works.

Updated On: 9/5/04 at 05:09 PM

#12re: Maggie Benjamin
Posted: 9/5/04 at 5:12pm

me too.. im pretty sure she'll come back to rent though. she seems to come and go a lot. not sure why, maybe she has a secret plan lol.

Che2be Profile Photo
Che2be
#13re: Maggie Benjamin
Posted: 9/5/04 at 5:49pm

Ok- I am not sure if this is still the deal, but I had read somewhere that she was leaving RENT to join the cast of Saturday Night Live. She was taking over as a featured player of the cast taking over Finnesse Mitchell's spot.

I don't know if this is still what is going on with her- but that was the last I had read about her.

PS. She is my favorite Maureen! She is truly talented!!
Robert

#14re: Maggie Benjamin
Posted: 9/5/04 at 5:53pm

oh! im so excited now!!!!!!! lol i hope that that's what she's doing now. she's my favorite maureen too. for some reason i don't think i can see idina menzel as good as her although idina makes a wonderful elphaba. i didn't see the origional cast of rent so i shouldn't comment about that.

StateOfJade Profile Photo
StateOfJade
#15re: Maggie Benjamin
Posted: 9/5/04 at 6:47pm

She'll probably eventually come back to play Maureen for a short while...they always do re: Maggie Benjamin

"I really liked the show--Wish I saw Boy's Night...Am I allowed as I am not a boy anymore:)"-duffyny1

Delphine Profile Photo
Delphine
#16re: Maggie Benjamin
Posted: 9/5/04 at 6:53pm

"do you know what i heard about maggie benjamin? i don't mean to spred rumors or anything but i heard that matt caplan's song (if you haven't seen him play at "the bitter end" on bleeker street, i highly recommend you do. sign up for his mailinglist) autograph was written about her. that isn't very flattering, especially the way he introduces the song at shows...."

Because I'm bad and like to keep rumors alive, I'll tell you that I've heard that too.

#17re: Maggie Benjamin
Posted: 9/5/04 at 7:11pm

really? aww i feel bad for her if it's true. i can kind of see her as being a crazy girlfriend but she's still beautiful, talented and sweet in person.

notsovirginmary Profile Photo
notsovirginmary
#18re: Maggie Benjamin
Posted: 9/5/04 at 7:47pm

I really like Maggie, and I want to see more of her. Part of me wanted to dislike her because she's so over the top, but it's so perfect for Maureen. Her energy and presence are just incredible.

I agree about her surpassing Idina, I actually really like Idina's voice, but on the OBCR she sounds like she's screeching. It makes Take Me Or Leave Me really hard to listen to.

And it helps that this lesbian likes cute-round-faced girls. re: Maggie Benjamin

"A wonky eye, you've got my friend."

insomniak
#19re: Maggie Benjamin
Posted: 9/5/04 at 7:57pm

Great, great Maureen. And where did you hear about the SNL rumor?

GovernorSlaton Profile Photo
GovernorSlaton
#20re: Maggie Benjamin
Posted: 9/5/04 at 8:04pm

I heard that the SNL rumor was just that: a rumor. With no credible sources confirming, I'm not sure that it's true. Of course, anything is possible, and she might fit in well there.

She doesn't have any other Broadway credits listed in her bio.

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#21re: Maggie Benjamin
Posted: 9/5/04 at 8:13pm

re: Maggie Benjamin

#22re: Maggie Benjamin
Posted: 9/5/04 at 8:18pm

*sigh* hehee

JaiRoAngel Profile Photo
JaiRoAngel
#23re: Maggie Benjamin
Posted: 9/5/04 at 9:34pm

I guess I'm the only one, but I didn't really enjoy her as Maureen when I saw her. Sure, she has a good voice, I just wasn't impressed with her like I thought I would be from hearing reviews.
She's cute and talented, that would be awesome if shes on SNL. Good luck to her.

TakeMeorLeaveMe
#24re: Maggie Benjamin
Posted: 9/5/04 at 9:54pm

aww really? maybe your expectations were too high when you went to see it. i hate when that happens, everyone rants about how good something/someone is and then you experience it for youself and you had something different in mind.

Videos