pixeltracker

CHER committed as MAME for TV Film- Page 2

CHER committed as MAME for TV Film

BwayTheatre11
#25re: CHER committed as MAME for TV Film
Posted: 8/23/03 at 8:37pm

Bernadette88, calm down!! Yes, Cher always gives an awesome performance every show, but that is live concerts. I have never seen any of her movies. How are they? Is she a good actress? If she is, then she could do this well!

CCM '10!

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#26re: re: CHER committed as MAME for TV Film
Posted: 8/23/03 at 9:44pm

Well, she won an Academy Award for Moonstruck and was nominated at least one other time for Silkwood--I think she could be lovely--see Tea With Mussolini.

BillyLawlor Profile Photo
BillyLawlor
#27re: re: re: CHER committed as MAME for TV Film
Posted: 8/23/03 at 11:01pm

Bernadette88- AWESOME picture of Tammy. I love that pic. It's in the Gypsy program.

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#28re: CHER committed as MAME for TV Film
Posted: 8/24/03 at 9:13am

The idea of Cher as Mame is terrific! I recall reading an interview with Jerry Herman somewhere and he described the character as a very classy lady who has to carry herself well. (Hence the original casting of Lansbury). I do however wish that Cher's face was a little more mobile! I also like the idea of Stockard Channing as Vera. How about Cheri O Teri as Gooch?

Albin Profile Photo
Albin
#29re: re: CHER committed as MAME for TV Film
Posted: 8/24/03 at 11:15am

Updated On: 8/24/03 at 11:15 AM

Albin Profile Photo
Albin
#30re: re: CHER committed as MAME for TV Film
Posted: 8/24/03 at 11:15am

"There was a non-musical movie version of MAME with Rosalind Russell."

Jo, a minor technicality, and I'm surprised someone didn't bring it up before now, but MAME is a musical version of "AUNTIE MAME."

The evolution of the story is:

1. Book
2. Broadway Play
3. Movie version of Broadway Play
4. Broadway Musical.
5. Dreadful movie version of Broadway musical.
Updated On: 8/24/03 at 11:15 AM

TEACHEROFTHEATER Profile Photo
TEACHEROFTHEATER
#31re: re: re: CHER committed as MAME for TV Film
Posted: 8/24/03 at 11:26am

yeppers Albin......I knew someone would mention the genesis of MAME eventually.

Interestingly, when the musical MAME was being mounted......some potential investors with apparently dim memories were confused.

The play Auntie Mame had elaborate sets and costumes changes. Therefore, and likely for other reasons too, some of these potential "angels" voiced that they thought AUNTIE MAME starring Rosalind Russell on Broadway, had been a musical!!! Of course it wasn't...but heck....I guess potential Broadway backers see lots and lots of stuff.

For MAME or AUNTIE MAME lovers, I recommend the book..

BUT DARLING, I'M YOUR AUNTIE MAME! by Richard Tyler Jordan

I loved it:)

"MAY YOUR LIFE BE AS BRIGHT AS BROADWAY AT NIGHT"

Albin Profile Photo
Albin
#32re: re: re: re: CHER committed as MAME for TV Film
Posted: 8/24/03 at 11:32am

Teacher,

Is that you in your profile picture? If so, has anyone ever mentioned your striking resemblence of Danny Bonoduce?

TEACHEROFTHEATER
#33re: re: re: re: re: CHER committed as MAME for TV Film
Posted: 8/24/03 at 11:36am

geeeeeeeeesh,,,,Danny Bonaduce????re: re: re: re: re: CHER committed as MAME for TV Film

I think he is kinda sexy, but I hoped I was a tad better lookin than him............

But I do see what you are picking up on. If I truly look like Bonaduce, perhaps I could get some alone time with Mario Lopez?:)

Albin Profile Photo
Albin
#34re: re: re: re: re: re: CHER committed as MAME for TV Film
Posted: 8/24/03 at 11:39am

Sorry teacher...I meant no offense...I think Danny is pretty good looking...

also, regarding the original comment about Streisand as Vera. It will never happen. She would never take a supporting role. Updated On: 8/24/03 at 11:39 AM

TEACHEROFTHEATER
#35re: re: re: re: re: re: re: CHER committed as MAME for TV Film
Posted: 8/24/03 at 11:46am

Albin, I'm not sure where the original comment about Streisand about Vera appears...but it is something that has occurred to me and I am sure many others.

Streisand is the executive producer and it is my understanding is set to direct the tv film of MAME. If there is a chance that she would do a supporting role, I think this may be it. I don't think it is likely, but there may be a chance:)

DofB5
#36 : CHER committed as MAME for TV Film
Posted: 8/24/03 at 12:03pm

I haven't seen anyone mention the version with Lucy in it. It was "interesting". Never knew she could sing.

D

Albin Profile Photo
Albin
#37re: : CHER committed as MAME for TV Film
Posted: 8/24/03 at 12:33pm

"Never knew she could sing."

She couldn't. It was more of a croak.

TEACHEROFTHEATER
#38re: : CHER committed as MAME for TV Film
Posted: 8/24/03 at 1:48pm

DOFB5, after the The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour (as the final seasons of I Love Lucy were called) left the air and before the Lucy Show premiered, Lucille Ball starred in the Desilu bankrolled Broadway musical WILDCAST. She introduced the song "Hey Look Me Over." I believe her charachter, Lucy Carmichael, performed the song once on The Lucy Show.

Broadwaylady Profile Photo
Broadwaylady
#39re: re: : CHER committed as MAME for TV Film
Posted: 8/24/03 at 3:42pm

I would love see Cher in Mame.

Billy Lawlor, it is okay to ask a question. You are only 14 how would you know about these "oldies". That is how you learn.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by moments that take our breath away." "Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain."

DofB5
#40 CHER committed as MAME for TV Film
Posted: 8/24/03 at 6:42pm

Well, TOT, I guess when your bankrolling the show, you call the shots. She didn't, by any chance, record any albums, did she?

D

Gothampc
#41re: CHER committed as MAME for TV Film
Posted: 8/24/03 at 6:45pm

Lucille Ball was offered "Unsinkable Molly Brown" and "Wildcat". She chose to do "Wildcat"

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

MasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
#42re: re: CHER committed as MAME for TV Film
Posted: 8/24/03 at 11:16pm

Cher will be fine as MAME. But Streisand (in theory) could have been sensational - she could have "If He Walked Into My Life" for breakfast. The problem with Barbra is now she's so humorless that "Open a New Window" would sound like an order from a self-help guru, and (more importantly) she'd have to relax enough to allow herself to realize that whoever plays Vera will commit grand larceny in every scene she is in. I'm not sure Barbra could deal with another actress stealing her thunder.

And Barbra is so vain, I don't think she could allow herself to play Vera, either.

"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"

#43 CHER committed as MAME for TV Film
Posted: 8/24/03 at 11:24pm

Will I be tarred and feathered for saying that I enjoyed MAME with Lucille Ball. Sure there was some major silliness with the production. But it is a fun show and to see Bea Arthur (and how she has not aged much...) is a hoot.

FindingNamo
#44re: re: re: CHER committed as MAME for TV Film
Posted: 8/24/03 at 11:24pm

:::"Open a New Window" would sound like an order from a self-help guru:::

How absolutely right you are! LLOL (literal laugh out loud)! And if Babs could let go of the competitiveness, maybe she would cast Celine as Vera. I mean, I can't stand Celine, but it would bring a certain verisimilitude to the proceedings.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

jo
#45re: re: re: re: CHER committed as MAME for TV Film
Posted: 8/25/03 at 1:47am

Albin,

I realized that ( Auntie Mame and Mame)way after I had posted my message -- I just didn't bother to change it re: re: re: re:  CHER committed as MAME for TV Film

But thanks for doing it for me indirectly re: re: re: re:  CHER committed as MAME for TV Film

Jo

etoile
#46Teach a man to fish....
Posted: 8/25/03 at 3:24am

Does anyone else here think you do a person more of a disservice by constantly suppling answers to the same type of questions when avenues for self discovery have repeatedly been supplied?

Teach a man to fish....

And I'm not about to hold my breath waiting for Cher to do MAME, especially before a planned revival.

Rest in peace, Iflitifloat.

DofB5
#47re: Teach a man to fish....
Posted: 8/25/03 at 7:35pm

What man would give a child a stone when he asks for bread?

There's always 2 ways of looking at things.

D

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#48re: re: Teach a man to fish....
Posted: 8/26/03 at 2:57am

Wasn't there talk of a Broadway revival of Auntie Mame to star Joan Collins? Anyone remember this?

lensman55 Profile Photo
lensman55
#49re: re: re: CHER committed as MAME for TV Film
Posted: 8/27/03 at 12:17am

>Cher will be fine as MAME. But Streisand (in theory) could >have been sensational - she could have "If He Walked Into My >Life" for breakfast.

I like Barbra, but I think that at her best, she wouldn't have had the crystal edge to her character or the excentricity for Mame Dennis. Cher [might] be able to pull that off, I'd certainly like to see her try.

"Now and then life hits you on the back of the head with a sock full of wet porridge. How you handle that is up to you." - Tim Rice