Cut Jekyll and Hyde songs

#0Cut Jekyll and Hyde songs
Posted: 9/24/04 at 8:47pm

WHY??? I just bought the original soundtrack, before it was brought to broadway and I love it so much more than the broadway version. It has all of the songs, except "Good and Evil" which I am guessing replaced "Bring on the Men" (which I actually liked better). But why did they cut all of those great songs like "Bitch, Bitch, Bitch", "Girls of the Night"(I LOVE THIS SONG!!), "Letting Go", "I Need To Know", and many more....WHY FRANK WHY??? I love some of these songs better than the broadway songs, also the songs that stayed also sound more gothic on this side, like "Dangerous Game" with that freaky prelude.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#1re: Cut Jekyll and Hyde songs
Posted: 9/24/04 at 8:54pm

Anthony Warlow, that is all I have to say.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

zoran912 Profile Photo
zoran912
#2re: Cut Jekyll and Hyde songs
Posted: 9/24/04 at 8:56pm

Dear Lord, yes. Anthony. Carolee. Linda. Wow.

#3re: Cut Jekyll and Hyde songs
Posted: 9/24/04 at 8:57pm

And that lol, everyone is so great too!

jacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
#4re: Cut Jekyll and Hyde songs
Posted: 9/24/04 at 8:59pm

The reason Good and Evil was put in was because it was less cooincidental (sp?) and more of a nightclub type song. However they put it back in for the tour, international productions, and for the MTI licence.

David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel

musicalfandukie Profile Photo
musicalfandukie
#5re: Cut Jekyll and Hyde songs
Posted: 9/24/04 at 9:05pm

i think i like the broadway recording better than the gothic. the gothic version just seem long and drawn out...there both good tho...i do think bring on the men is alot more fun then good and evil so i think they should of keep it in. i also love girls of the night so that was sad it got cut out re: Cut Jekyll and Hyde songs

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#6re: Cut Jekyll and Hyde songs
Posted: 9/24/04 at 9:57pm

Most are probably able to agree that JEKYLL & HYDE is best represented with "I Need to Know", "Bring on the Men", "No One Knows Who I Am", and "The Girls of the Night" being in the show. The Broadway production included "No One Knows Who I Am" but deleted the others. The MTI version includes "I Need to Know", and "Bring on the Men" but does not use "No One Knows Who I am" or "The Girls of the Night". Although "No One Knows Who I Am" can still be used by special permission if you request so from MTI. Apparently it was removed because of the abundant amount of high schools that are putting on the show and the song's reference to suicide.

In my opinion, I think it's even imperative to include "Bitch, Bitch, Bitch" because it's good to be able to have a bit of insight into the characters that we don't really ever get to know and then see getting murdered all through act two.

JEKYLL & HYDE was poorly represented on Broadway. The producers had too much control of what stayed in and what got cut and that was not the right way to do it. Hopefully someday we will see a definitive version of the show. The MTI version is almost there. It just needs a little fine tuning and the reinstatement of "Bitch, Bitch, Bitch", "No One Knows Who I Am" and "The Girls of the Night".

And I'm not even going to discuss the Fullerton Civic Light Opera version of the show. They completely massacred and butchered the entire thing... it's God awful. What happens is, after a theatre gets the rights from MTI, FCLO contacts that company and offers their version, but you have to pay five hundred dollars more and then you still have to pay for the MTI scripts which you're not even going to use. It's not even a better script, it's sad. I highly recommend calling the theatre and asking which script is being used before attending a performance. If they say FCLO... RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN! Updated On: 9/24/04 at 09:57 PM

Chrysanthemum62001
#7re: Cut Jekyll and Hyde songs
Posted: 9/24/04 at 10:11pm

I have them both, and I like the Gothic recording better because it has the "Lucy Meets Jekyll" and "Lucy Meets Hyde" sequences. I love the line "Yet I can see you're not up to the chase, but if you're ever in need...I am the girl, and this is the place." and then "Heaven I fancy is no place for me, and I can find hell on my own."

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

JohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
#8re: Cut Jekyll and Hyde songs
Posted: 9/24/04 at 10:33pm

It's threads like this that really show what Wildhorn does so wrong. For "Jekyll and Hyde" he just wrote a pile of generally pleasant songs and thought if he mixed and matched them enough he'd magically get a good piece of theater. But that's not how scores are written and constructed. There's no musical build to any of it, no highs and lows and no creative momentum. It's just twenty-odd songs sung by people in costume and there's no reason for audiences to ever get beyond the songs they like or don't like as part of the bigger drama.

Twenty nice songs is not a good musical score. A score must have a dramatic structure and spine, just like the drama itself, you have to start somewhere and end up somewhere else. Until Wildhorn gets even a basic understanding of that we'll never be able to get beyond 'but I liked that song' as the meat of discussing his work.

#9re: Cut Jekyll and Hyde songs
Posted: 9/24/04 at 11:01pm

I think Wildhorn has done a great job, personally I think if you can tell the mood of the scene, what is going on and the emotions from the characters it works perfectly.

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#10re: Cut Jekyll and Hyde songs
Posted: 9/24/04 at 11:02pm

i also miss the original version of facade- particularly the rather witty lyric "every day, people in their own sweet way, like to add a coat of paint, and be what they ain't"

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

CATSNYrevival
#11re: Cut Jekyll and Hyde songs
Posted: 9/24/04 at 11:37pm

You know, a lot of musicals have songs that were intended to forward the plot and songs that were intended to become pop standards. It's not like Frank is the only composer to ever try to write songs that would stand out and appeal to an audience, and go from the stage to the charts. Just like show albums did during Broadway's Golden Age! Look on the bilboard records and you'll see that the original MY FAIR LADY album spent more time on the charts than Thriller... We need to stop producing shows like Mamma Mia!, Movin' Out, The Boy From Oz and We Will Rock You before we strike up the old Wildhorn argument... I have more respect for a Wildhorn show than I do any of the above mentioned.... Updated On: 9/24/04 at 11:37 PM

Poppy
#12re: Cut Jekyll and Hyde songs
Posted: 9/25/04 at 12:41am

Check out Jekyll & Hyde The Concert when it comes to your area on tour next year. You'll hear the songs that were cut from the Broadway production.

musicalfandukie Profile Photo
musicalfandukie
#13re: Cut Jekyll and Hyde songs
Posted: 9/25/04 at 12:53am

everyone seems to like the gothic cd better...i haven't listened to the whole thing tho..so maybe if i did i would like it better too..i will have to do that.

elvenprincess971 Profile Photo
elvenprincess971
#14re: Cut Jekyll and Hyde songs
Posted: 9/25/04 at 1:24am

Doesnt it seem though that every time you see Jekyll and Hyde (I.E. the DVD versus The Tour versus Broadway) that all the songs lyrics and order have been rearranged? I wonder if Wildhorn just couldnt make up his mind...

Love, Miss Britt

bially082 Profile Photo
bially082
#15re: Cut Jekyll and Hyde songs
Posted: 9/25/04 at 1:48am

The DVD and Broadway cast albums have the same song order. The Gothic one is a little different because they changed the story a bit too and the songs had to move with it.

You are young, life has been kind to you. You will learn.

rockfenris2005
#16re: Cut Jekyll and Hyde songs
Posted: 9/25/04 at 1:59am

Removed my old silly post.

Who can explain it, who can tell you why? Fools give you reasons, wise men never try -South Pacific
Updated On: 5/27/20 at 01:59 AM

elvenprincess971 Profile Photo
elvenprincess971
#17re: Cut Jekyll and Hyde songs
Posted: 9/25/04 at 2:15am

Does anyone know if there was any particular reason that they changed the song order and replaced some of the songs for the tour?

Love, Miss Britt

rockfenris2005
#18re: Cut Jekyll and Hyde songs
Posted: 9/25/04 at 2:18am

Removed my old silly post.

Who can explain it, who can tell you why? Fools give you reasons, wise men never try -South Pacific
Updated On: 5/27/20 at 02:18 AM

CATSNYrevival
#19re: Cut Jekyll and Hyde songs
Posted: 9/25/04 at 2:50am

Okay as for "Bring on the Men" it is rumored to this day that Linda Eder became uncomfortable with the song so it was replaced, but this is not true. Linda Eder explained that "Bring on the Men" was more of a cabaret number for her as a singer than for Lucy as a character, and the producers wanted a song about good and evil - so that is why "Good 'N' Evil" replaced "Bring on the Men".

Philip Hoffman explained that "I Need to Know" was cut during the pre-Broadway tour because it didn't fit well with rest of the introductory material, and the show needed to move faster.

"The Girls of the Night" was always in/out, in/out for years so it's no surprise that it was cut for Broadway.

A lot of little things like the introductory "It's over now..." section of "The Confrontation", the first entire HALF of the "Board of Governors" song, parts of "Lucy Meets Jekyll" and the "Dangerous Game" portion of the first "Alive" were cut because during rehearsals the producers complained about the show possibly being too long...

rockfenris2005
#20re: Cut Jekyll and Hyde songs
Posted: 9/25/04 at 6:33am

Removing my old silly post.

Updated On: 5/27/20 at 06:33 AM

rockfenris2005
#21re: Cut Jekyll and Hyde songs
Posted: 9/25/04 at 6:44am

Maybe that's why Svengali FAILED?

It was written in the proper way a musical should be written but the fans wanted their jukebox again!

When they naturally didn't get it, it failed.

From what I've heard of Sven. it sounds a hell of a lot better than anything from Jekyll -

Updated On: 9/25/04 at 06:44 AM

jacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
#22re: Cut Jekyll and Hyde songs
Posted: 9/25/04 at 9:47am

"Scarlet Pimpernel, from what I've heard, is transsexual pop in an operatic format"

No! You did not just diss SP. It is not possible.
Rock-From what you've said you've never seen the show, and as most here can tell you, you never give a biassed oppinion until you see a show.
I personally never saw SP on broadway, but I have seen it regionally, and, if we had guys in my school who wanted to act, I would be directing it right now. SP in my oppinion is Wildhorn's great work. It took time (4 versions of the show) but now everrything flows, and the story just draws you in. The "transexual pop" you speak of was part of the story line when the books were orriginally written.
J&H has flaws, no doubt, every show does. But everytime I see it, be it in a community theater production, or professional, the audience is always in shock at what is happening, and by the end of the curtain call they are standing on their feet in ovation for the wonderful piece of art they just saw.

David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel
Updated On: 9/25/04 at 09:47 AM

JekyllHyde88
#23re: Cut Jekyll and Hyde songs
Posted: 9/25/04 at 10:15am

I just recently purchased the Complete Works. It has 35 songs on it. I'm not sure if that's the gothic version or what it is...but I like it better. That's mainly because I HIGHLY perfer anyone over Colm Wilkinson, and the absence of him on the recordings makes the songs better (in my opinion).

CATSNYrevival
#24re: Cut Jekyll and Hyde songs
Posted: 9/25/04 at 12:39pm

By the way, here is the UK tour song list. Can't say I like it much... I like that they included the songs that were not in the Broadway version, but I don't like how everything is jumbled again....

ACT ONE
---------------

1. I Need To Know
2. Facade
3. Bitch, Bitch, Bitch
4. The Engagement Party
5. Take Me As I Am
6. The Board of Governers
7. Pursue The Truth
8. Bring On The Men
9. Lucy and Jekyll at "The Dregs"
10. This Is The Moment