pixeltracker

Rocky Horror cast recording question

Rocky Horror cast recording question

insomniak
#0Rocky Horror cast recording question
Posted: 10/16/04 at 10:24pm

I've been meaning to ask this forever but I always forget. In every article I've found online, it says that Joan Jett played Columbia but the OBCR has it listed as Kristen Lee Kelley. Why did Joan's understudy sing her role on the CD?

Seany Profile Photo
Seany
#1re: Rocky Horror cast recording question
Posted: 10/16/04 at 10:42pm

Joan wanted too much money to do the recording. RCA wouldn't have any of that.

There's a light in the darkness of everybody's life.

insomniak
#2re: Rocky Horror cast recording question
Posted: 10/16/04 at 10:43pm

Oh. Was she good in the show?

insomniak
#3re: Rocky Horror cast recording question
Posted: 10/16/04 at 10:45pm

Better or worse than KLK on the OBCR?

Broadway Matt Profile Photo
Broadway Matt
#4re: Rocky Horror cast recording question
Posted: 10/16/04 at 10:47pm

it was Ana Gasteyer when I saw the show. no good.

"The last train out of any station will not be full of nice guys." - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"I wash my face, then drink beer, then I weep. Say a prayer and induce insincere self-abuse, till I'm fast asleep"- In Trousers

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#5re: Rocky Horror cast recording question
Posted: 10/16/04 at 10:50pm

Thanks, Undi. re: Rocky Horror cast recording question

I saw every single person in every role for that show. And I agree that Joan was good. Not great, but she got the job done.

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."

Broadway Matt
#6re: Rocky Horror cast recording question
Posted: 10/16/04 at 10:51pm

thanks Unidscovered! are you a Thompson fan, or just dig the caricature?

"The last train out of any station will not be full of nice guys." - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"I wash my face, then drink beer, then I weep. Say a prayer and induce insincere self-abuse, till I'm fast asleep"- In Trousers

insomniak
#7re: Rocky Horror cast recording question
Posted: 10/16/04 at 10:52pm

How would you compare her to KLK?

And your icon is awful because it's so distracting. I just stop what I'm typing and stare....

Broadway Matt
#8re: Rocky Horror cast recording question
Posted: 10/16/04 at 10:53pm

that's Gonzo power baby

JohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
#9re: Rocky Horror cast recording question
Posted: 10/16/04 at 10:54pm

I thought Joan was horrid. Her big speech at the end was below community theater levels of acting and her big 'guitar solo' was just her riding power chords for a few measures. She brought nothing to the show and she looked lost out there.

At least Gasteyer knew how to speak and deliver a performance.

And she was funny.

If I had to pick the worst thing I've ever seen on a Broadway stage, it's very well Joan Jett in 'Rocky Horror.'

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#10re: Rocky Horror cast recording question
Posted: 10/16/04 at 10:54pm

They were very different as Columbia. Kristen had more fun with the role and you could tell she was more comfortable. The show is heavy on improv and you really never saw the same show twice. But Joan was pretty much the same every performance.

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."

insomniak
#11Undiscovered vys for insomniak's title as threadjack queen
Posted: 10/16/04 at 10:57pm

Thanks, Matt.

And my question has been answered, so threadjack at will.

Broadway Matt
#12Undiscovered vys for insomniak's title as threadjack queen
Posted: 10/16/04 at 11:00pm

y'know what I haven't had in awhile? Big League Chew...

StateOfJade Profile Photo
StateOfJade
#13Undiscovered vys for insomniak's title as threadjack queen
Posted: 10/16/04 at 11:03pm

That's KLK on the recording? Damn and all this time I've been listening thinking it's Joan Jett...

"I really liked the show--Wish I saw Boy's Night...Am I allowed as I am not a boy anymore:)"-duffyny1

insomniak
#14Undiscovered vys for insomniak's title as threadjack queen
Posted: 10/16/04 at 11:05pm

She sounds a lot better than on Rent, in my opinion. Her La Vie Boheme solo is weak, but I love her on Rocky Horror.

BwayTheatre11
#15Undiscovered vys for insomniak's title as threadjack queen
Posted: 10/16/04 at 11:18pm

I love this recording! I really wish I could have seen this show. My goal is to design a production in June. Undiscovered vys for insomniak's title as threadjack queen

CCM '10!

Broadway Matt
#16Undiscovered vys for insomniak's title as threadjack queen
Posted: 10/16/04 at 11:25pm

Depp's portrayal of a young HST is one of the most impressive things I've seen in a movie. The film is nothing compared to the book, but it's also easier on the brain.

do you know about the earlier movie based on HST which starred Bill Murray? basically it was a failure, but just like Depp, Murray spent a great amount of time living at HST's compund as research. Apparently it was this time together that is responsible for Murray suddenly becoming an abrasive a**hole. This directly led to him badmouthing and alienating the SNL people, which effectively put hom on the show's blacklist for years.

Broadway Matt
#17Undiscovered vys for insomniak's title as threadjack queen
Posted: 10/16/04 at 11:44pm

that's the title! it escaped me.

Undiscovered, I'm going to have to very seriously consider marrying you! There aren't nearly enough musical theatre fans with a healthy appreciation for differently-amazing entities, HST being one of the most amazing among them. tell me this, are you a david sedaris fan? if so, I'll buy the rings!

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#18Undiscovered vys for insomniak's title as threadjack queen
Posted: 10/16/04 at 11:46pm

Undi, when I get up there I intend to have numerous STRANGERS WITH CANDY parties which you are more than welcome to attend.
Undiscovered vys for insomniak's title as threadjack queen

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#19Undiscovered vys for insomniak's title as threadjack queen
Posted: 10/16/04 at 11:54pm

I'm watching it right now. My favorite line for the night -

"Babies don't cost money. They MAKE money. Especially those little white ones"

Broadway Matt
#20Undiscovered vys for insomniak's title as threadjack queen
Posted: 10/16/04 at 11:56pm

ahhh then I guess it's meant to be! more marriages would succeed if they were based on the teachings of HST and that wacky Sedaris family. Though I have to admit, I never liked Strangers With Candy at all until I had read a bunch of David's work. Now I'm thrilled everytime Amy pops up on TV. I think of the story where she's exiting the subway, but first she stops and yells back loudly at her brother, for all the car to hear, "Take care David! Good luck beating that rape charge!"

Broadway Matt
#21Undiscovered vys for insomniak's title as threadjack queen
Posted: 10/17/04 at 12:31am

haha fabulous! or when amy gets chosen to be featured in that magazine for single successful women or something like that.

Makeup artist: "Now how should I make you up?"
Amy: "I want to look as if someone has beaten the sh*t out of me."

hey maybe all this should be worked into our vows! i'm a romantic at heart.

Broadway Matt
#22Undiscovered really didn't mean to - it just happened!
Posted: 10/17/04 at 12:44am

definitely glad to have discovered that. i'm trying to take this time of barren theatrical offerings to focus on the things I love NOT related to theatre. it's been very cleansing. wathing sports, reading good books, catching up on my OZ episodes, having some Carlin time. by the time la cage rolls around, i'll be ready for some theatre!

andyf
#23Undiscovered really didn't mean to - it just happened!
Posted: 10/17/04 at 12:49am

Fandango, anyone?

Andrew, tonight isn't about you! It isn't even about me!!! - [FD]

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#24Undiscovered really didn't mean to - it just happened!
Posted: 10/17/04 at 12:50am

Hobo camp?