News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

What Show/Recording would you love to see a revival of?

What Show/Recording would you love to see a revival of?

scotty Profile Photo
scotty
#0What Show/Recording would you love to see a revival of?
Posted: 11/8/04 at 11:08am

Rent for 1. As amazing as it is, Im getting abit over the OBC recording.

and My faviroute Year.

coalhouse Profile Photo
coalhouse
#1re: What Show/Recording would you love to see a revival of?
Posted: 11/8/04 at 11:49am

Scotty, couldnt agree with you more about RENT!! A new recording is needed indeed, in the near future...

Has anyone heard the New Lucky Stiff? What do you think?

DickonDefysGravity Profile Photo
DickonDefysGravity
#2re: What Show/Recording would you love to see a revival of?
Posted: 11/8/04 at 11:55am

Once on this Island
The Secret Garden- be pretty hard to be any better
Beauty and the Beast

And you think of all of the things you've seen, and you wish that you could live in between ,and you're back again only different than before... After the Sky. -Into the Woods (Jack)

sean martin
#3re: What Show/Recording would you love to see a revival of?
Posted: 11/8/04 at 12:09pm

If we're talking shows that should be revived because the OCRs are go good, MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG. The latest draft of the script, the one now in use for licensing purposes, is far superior to the one used on Broadway.

It might also be fun to see some of the "political musicals" of the 1920s and 30s, even if they were just off-Broadway revivals.

"That duck was a sexual toy, and it was on display!" -- an unknown Nashville town leader

zepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
#4re: What Show/Recording would you love to see a revival of?
Posted: 11/8/04 at 12:13pm

definitely Once on this Island re: What Show/Recording would you love to see a revival of?

::bust a move::

sean martin
#5re: What Show/Recording would you love to see a revival of?
Posted: 11/8/04 at 12:23pm

Okay, I'll bite: what's the fascination for OOTI? I worked on a production of it a couple of years ago and found it amazingly lame, and yet several people just love this little supposed gem. It's got a couple of decent songs, but there's so much in it that was left underutilized.

"That duck was a sexual toy, and it was on display!" -- an unknown Nashville town leader

zepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
#6re: What Show/Recording would you love to see a revival of?
Posted: 11/8/04 at 12:36pm

i was in a production of it too back in middle school (yeah, loooong time ago) and it was a lot of fun. i love the songs in it and i think they could have fun with it. it's a fun show overall... different from whats open now. not to mention its a great family show with a familiar storyline re: What Show/Recording would you love to see a revival of?

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#7re: What Show/Recording would you love to see a revival of?
Posted: 11/8/04 at 1:03pm

The heading of this thread is very confusing. Do you mean to ask what shows should have new recordings? Once on This Island has a London Cast recording as well. I'm not sure why there needs to be another as the Broadway recording is pretty much complete and I don't see how it could be improved. Same with Rent. Beauty and the Beast also has London and Australian cast recordings, so any more in English is unnecessary. Merrily We Roll Along has the Broadway recording, Off-Broadway revival and London recordings (of which there is a 2 CD complete recording) that are pretty much identical to the new version of the show. The Secret Garden has a highlights recording from the Australian production and a London recording featuring a revised score.

As for shows being revived, Once on This Island is an excellent choice, but I think it is a bit too soon. If you've never seen it staged well, then it's hard to get why so many love it. The score is beautiful, but the original staging was just wonderful. Every scene was brilliantly done with little to no sets at all.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

scotty Profile Photo
scotty
#8re: What Show/Recording would you love to see a revival of?
Posted: 11/8/04 at 1:07pm

the subject heading shouldn't be confusing. It's open for Interpretation. Dont think hard. It'll come. Updated On: 11/8/04 at 01:07 PM

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#10re: What Show/Recording would you love to see a revival of?
Posted: 11/8/04 at 1:55pm

I think what makes it confusing is that I can't figure out whether people are talking about revivals of recordings or shows. I'm not thinking too hard. The responses are vague.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

zepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
#11re: What Show/Recording would you love to see a revival of?
Posted: 11/8/04 at 1:58pm

i'm talking revival of the show... i was too young to see the original and i think it should come back... thats what i meant re: What Show/Recording would you love to see a revival of?

MargoChanning
#12re: What Show/Recording would you love to see a revival of?
Posted: 11/8/04 at 2:02pm

I'll concur with Dreamgirls, and add Ballroom and A Chorus Line to my list -- yes, I'm a Bennett fanatic. I've never seen Ballroom and the fact that it only lasted a few months on Broadway likely means it'll never be revived, but the score has some really strong material (50 Percent, most notably) and the choreography won the Tony that year, so it couldn't have been a complete fiasco. It probably suffered because it was Bennett's first show after ACL and the expectations were too high for the show to live up to. Anyway, I've always been curious and would love to see it restaged somewhere -- not necessarily Broadway.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#13re: What Show/Recording would you love to see a revival of?
Posted: 11/8/04 at 2:09pm

BALLROOM is a great choice Margo. I saw it and fell in love with Dorothy Loudon. I thought the entire evening was pure magic. Bennett painted some stunning stage pictures and the dancing was beautiful. Who could be cast as Bea? Tyne Daly (Who I think did the role somewhere)

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#14re: What Show/Recording would you love to see a revival of?
Posted: 11/8/04 at 2:14pm

Regarding BALLROOM, hopefully they'd restore the songs "The Job Resume" and "How Gave You Permission" to the show. You can hear them on one of the LOST IN BOSTON cds.

MargoChanning
#15re: What Show/Recording would you love to see a revival of?
Posted: 11/8/04 at 2:18pm

I just remember seeing Loudon do "50 Percent" on the Tonys that year and being completely blown away by it. I was dying to see the show because of that performance, but of course, it had already closed by the time of the Tonys.

Since Bob Avian (who shared the choreography Tony with Bennett) is still around, I wonder if he has any interest in revisiting the show? Perhaps he could do it as some kind of one night only benefit concert or something.

Daley is interesting casting. I suppose Stritch is too old for it? Lupone too young? Is Bernadette the wrong type? How about Glenn Close? Liza?

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

xanado_girl Profile Photo
xanado_girl
#16re: What Show/Recording would you love to see a revival of?
Posted: 11/8/04 at 2:19pm

I second A Chorus Line! And I would love to see Summer of 42 revived so that they could finally release a recording of the whole show!

"Is it your booty? Is that what it is? Is it that booty of yours? I hope it is!"-Zanna, Don't!

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#17re: What Show/Recording would you love to see a revival of?
Posted: 11/8/04 at 2:21pm

How about Chita for Ballroom?

MargoChanning
#18re: What Show/Recording would you love to see a revival of?
Posted: 11/8/04 at 2:28pm

Wow, Chita would obviously open up a whole world of dance possibilities for the show. Great idea!

sean martin
#19re: What Show/Recording would you love to see a revival of?
Posted: 11/8/04 at 4:25pm

BALLROOM had some amazing visuals -- the transtition from her apartment to Roseland was all accomplished by the light of a glitter ball that bounced throughout the entire auditorium -- but it suffered from a so-so book that verged, at times, on sappy melodrama. But the dancing and the staging really made up for it -- some of Bennett's best work outside of ACL.

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#20re: What Show/Recording would you love to see a revival of?
Posted: 11/8/04 at 5:04pm

dreamgirls
a chorus line
promises, promises
seesaw
two gentlemen of verona

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#21re: What Show/Recording would you love to see a revival of?
Posted: 11/8/04 at 5:09pm

Promises, Promises? I wonder how audiences would react to that show these days? The plot is fairly offensive I think.

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#22re: What Show/Recording would you love to see a revival of?
Posted: 11/8/04 at 5:37pm

Offensive? I don't think so, it's a bit dated, but if they try to keep it in the 60's, then people will be forgiving. I would love to see revived:
Merrily Ae Roll Along
Promises, Promises
A Little Night Music
Big (a bit too soon)
and A Chorus Line

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

Broadway_Bound_Star Profile Photo
Broadway_Bound_Star
#23re: What Show/Recording would you love to see a revival of?
Posted: 11/8/04 at 5:46pm

One word....... CATS!!!

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#24re: What Show/Recording would you love to see a revival of?
Posted: 11/8/04 at 5:46pm

Regarding Promises, Promises...If I were a woman I know I wouldn't find the storyline entertaining or amusing.

Videos