Daniel3
#0Andre Lloyd Webber is lame?
Posted: 12/27/04 at 7:15pm

Superstar is amazing,
Evita is a bit boaring but very dainty but powerful

Everything else is stupid!
am I right?

Am I the only one who hates Phantom and hated the film for so many reasons
(exept Mini Driver who was amazing), only one french accents and two californians in 1860's Paris, I wish someone regarded as "good" in filmmaking was appointed as producer, not Webber himself

Shouldn't the phantom be ugly, not just a bit achne scarred?

I never saw Aspects of Love. I never saw Wistle but I love jim steinman so the lyrics at least would have been good,

They say the woman in white is back to his good form, but hearing them demos only reaffirms my beleif that if you find it hard to believe something to be good, It probably wont be

nodaybuttoday4
#1re: Andre Lloyd Webber is lame?
Posted: 12/27/04 at 7:19pm

I personally love Andrew Lloyd Webber, especially Phantom and Superstar. In the actual play version of the Phantom, he is not hideous or completely ugly. Actually, the movie version was a bit more graphic then the National Tour version I saw. I think people are looking too much into it. Its hard to make good adaptions, lets face it. I think they did a good job considering that its a movie. People need to cut some slack, and enjoy the good music.

Is it just me or was the NY Times review really cruel? The guy sounded like he went in there hating musicals and Andrew Lloyd Webber, and arg, he didn't even keep an open mind! He said the music sucked -- the Phantom music is great, although the singers staggered a bit but still....

etoile
#2re: Andre Lloyd Webber is lame?
Posted: 12/27/04 at 7:22pm

Well you haven't scratched the surface of his works, but I will say that I only wish I was as lame.

Rest in peace, Iflitifloat.

Daniel3
#3re: Andre Lloyd Webber is lame?
Posted: 12/27/04 at 7:24pm

personally, I kind of feel that the orchestration was a bit weak, in a theatre there can only really be a 15-18 piece orchestra, but film orchestra could have 200+ musicians, but no, none.

Evita was sooooooo good. it was those long songs, Music of the night and All I Ask, the camera just stayed on them, I took my little brother convincing every minute that he would like it, then felt embarised when I saw him falling asleep as he had predicted

Daniel3
#4re: Andre Lloyd Webber is lame?
Posted: 12/27/04 at 7:27pm

the best Webber ever did was Jesus, you can tell he's getting worse by the NEW song at the end of phantom, it was like a Jessica Simpson b-side or album filler, and on some UK TV interviews he maintained he was proud of the new song

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#5re: Andre Lloyd Webber is lame?
Posted: 12/27/04 at 7:54pm

aslfnaweo;rnawo;enr;awhbr32=bn. I am going to throw my computer out the window. awkfrnoawenrawebhrawbr

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

My Fair Lady Profile Photo
My Fair Lady
#6re: Andre Lloyd Webber is lame?
Posted: 12/27/04 at 7:57pm

I like JCS but I hate Evita.

Carl Magnum Profile Photo
Carl Magnum
#7re: Andre Lloyd Webber is lame?
Posted: 12/27/04 at 7:58pm

As much as I love Superstar. Evita is ALW's masterpiece. By and far. He tells a complete story and wrote it early on enough that it isn't derivitive of anything else he had written or would go on to write. Because lets face it, ALW's scores are pretty interchangable.

I got rid of my teeth at a young age because... I'm straight. Teeth are for gay people. That's why fairies come and get them

MargoChanning
#8re: Andre Lloyd Webber is lame?
Posted: 12/27/04 at 8:01pm

On Broadway, orchestras can routinely have as many as 26 musicians.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

#9re: Andre Lloyd Webber is lame?
Posted: 12/27/04 at 8:02pm

Anyone who is knowledgeable about the Pre-Raphaelites, and who almost bought the original "Flaming June" had his grandmum leant him the 50Quid to buy it, isn't all that lame in my book.

Oh yeah, he does know a bit about writing commercially successful musicals.

Daniel3
#10re: Andre Lloyd Webber is lame?
Posted: 12/27/04 at 8:03pm

yer, I agree, the music for Jesus and Evita is (musically) far more interesting and original, especially the non-main-song stuff in evita. the lines "now eva person, had every disadvantage" is my favourite phrase (musically) ever, cramatic brilliance

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#11re: Andre Lloyd Webber is lame?
Posted: 12/27/04 at 8:11pm

Jesus Christ Superstar will always be my favorite of his works (even though PHANTOM is #1 on my list of fav. musicals, for sentimental reasons). I think Sondheim fans would enjoy Woman in White. Musically, it is really challenging and the story is VERY interesting. Love it!

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#12re: Andre Lloyd Webber is lame?
Posted: 12/27/04 at 8:18pm

What I don't understand is people like Avenue Q, Wicked, etc. but hate ALW because his music isn't as sophisticated as Sondheim. Can someone please explain to me why this is so?

Daniel3
#13re: Andre Lloyd Webber is lame?
Posted: 12/27/04 at 8:20pm

Im no sondheim fan, he has done so many and some just tend to be two-good-song and 12-nothing-song sort of shows like a little night music

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#14re: Andre Lloyd Webber is lame?
Posted: 12/27/04 at 8:21pm

Have you listened to Company or Into the Woods?

GovernorSlaton Profile Photo
GovernorSlaton
#15re: Andre Lloyd Webber is lame?
Posted: 12/27/04 at 8:26pm

"Im no sondheim fan, he has done so many and some just tend to be two-good-song and 12-nothing-song sort of shows like a little night music"

What are the two you are talking about?

Send in the Clowns and Every Day a Little Death?
Now/Later/Soon and Liasons?
In Praise of Women and a Weekend in the Country?
Remember and You Must Meet My Wife?
It Would Have Been Wonderful and The Miller's Son?
The Sun Won't Set and The Sun Sits Low?

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#16re: Andre Lloyd Webber is lame?
Posted: 12/27/04 at 8:28pm

I went to buy A Little Night Music tonight but as always, they don't have anything cd I want. Grrrr

Daniel3
#17re: Andre Lloyd Webber is lame?
Posted: 12/27/04 at 8:30pm

I think I hate him because in drama class in like year 7 we had to devise a piece that involved acting dance and singing, and all the other groups just did a sort of audition for a play and to me it seemed cheating the exercise, because I had though up a good way of doing it. It seemed to be taking the easy excuse for a song and dance, and then Sondheim is famouse for Chorus Line, the same as year 7 drama, no narrative

pab Profile Photo
pab
#18re: Andre Lloyd Webber is lame?
Posted: 12/27/04 at 8:33pm

"It seemed to be taking the easy excuse for a song and dance, and then Sondheim is famouse for Chorus Line, the same as year 7 drama, no narrative"

What the hell are you saying here? I don't understand half of what you've said in this thread.

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"
Updated On: 12/27/04 at 08:33 PM

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#19re: Andre Lloyd Webber is lame?
Posted: 12/27/04 at 8:34pm

me neither. Sondehiem didn't write A Chorus Line

#20re: Andre Lloyd Webber is lame?
Posted: 12/27/04 at 8:34pm

I see Daniels point, Sondheim is my favorite compser now, but when I was young, I liked more melodic and memorable music. Usualy in Sondheim shows, there are only a few "hummable tunes." For example, Send in the Clowns, Children Will Listen, etc. People often miss the point of his shows, becuase he tells most of his storys through music, so you have to REALLY pay attention to the lyrics. So im assuming "Daniel" is younger. Im sure his music will grow on him, like it did on me.

Daniel3
#21re: Andre Lloyd Webber is lame?
Posted: 12/27/04 at 8:37pm

yer, leave me alone

I may be confusing chorus line with company

pab Profile Photo
pab
#22re: Andre Lloyd Webber is lame?
Posted: 12/27/04 at 8:38pm

You may? No, you ARE.

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

Daniel3
#23re: Andre Lloyd Webber is lame?
Posted: 12/27/04 at 8:44pm

which has the song

"nothing, this man means nothing, you can quit and take another class"

"so I reached right down to the bottom of my soul"

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#24re: Andre Lloyd Webber is lame?
Posted: 12/27/04 at 8:45pm

That is A Chorus Line.

Videos