Little Women review 12/28

Adoannie925 Profile Photo
Adoannie925
#0Little Women review 12/28
Posted: 12/28/04 at 11:58pm

First let me say, I went into the theater unsure of what to expect. I had seen Sutton Foster in Millie, but I was not overly impressed with her. For what it's worth, and in my opinion, what's the big deal with being a "high belter"? Her "belting" tonight made me feel like my ears were bleeding. Singing in a chest voice when it is appropriate is fine, but belting Fs and Gs, or whatever the piercing (not in a good way) note may be, c'mon, why? It's not attractive! Whatever happened to the head voice? Or a mix that transitioned to a spot higher in the head voice register when it is called for? Anyway, that was my pet peeve throughout the evening. Everyone else had a lovely voice. Acting wise, I was not impressed. Maureen McGovern was the best out of everyone, but the energy seemed to be lacking from everyone. Sutton was in every scene and it seemed like she was waiting to deliver her line instead of just listening and reacting as if she was living truthfully under the given imaginary circumstances. Everyone else seemed so locked into character that they were bored. They were just there, being the character and waiting to deliver, no reacting, just delivering. I thought Megan McGinnis was the best out of the young girls (acting wise), she had an energy and didn't just wait to deliver her line the entire time. Overall, I was not impressed with the show. Whatever happened to actors bringing energy and something different to their role? It seemed like they were literally just reading the script. I was pretty bored and began to fall asleep when I wasn't over analyzing everything. Anyway, that's just my opinion. :)

GaLiNdaFied Profile Photo
GaLiNdaFied
#1re: Little Women review 12/28
Posted: 12/29/04 at 12:02am

Thanks for the review I don't know if things have changed, but I believe that this is the first review that hasn't said anything bad about Amy which I take as a good sign.

"Someone please tell me- when the hell did gravity become the enemy? How has an essential force of nature, something that makes it possible for life to even exist on this planet, come to deserve the scorn and hatred of every teenage girl with no head voice?"- Broadway Matt

PJ
#2re: Little Women review 12/28
Posted: 12/29/04 at 12:02am

Hmm. Nice review. I respect your opinions even though I don't necessarily agree with them.

admanrich Profile Photo
admanrich
#3re: Little Women review 12/28
Posted: 12/29/04 at 12:06am

My friend said the girl that played Amy was atrocious

kim1061 Profile Photo
kim1061
#4re: Little Women review 12/28
Posted: 12/29/04 at 10:12am

nice review. i never read little women b/c i thought it would be boring so i prob won't be seeing it. But i like hearing reviews.

A dancer might dream to see her name in lights and mean it, but all she really dreams is to make someone else feel the way she did when she first saw a dancer. And that is so beautiful-Anonymous

ShbrtAlley44 Profile Photo
ShbrtAlley44
#5re: Little Women review 12/28
Posted: 12/29/04 at 10:51am

Sutton was definitely using a mix on those high notes. Don't worry, she's not belting them!

idinaroxmysox6 Profile Photo
idinaroxmysox6
#6re: Little Women review 12/28
Posted: 12/29/04 at 11:16am

when i saw little women, i would have to say that amy was the weak link in the chain. in the begining of the show when she was very little, they should have gotten a younger maybe kid to do it? b/c u werent really sure if she was 30 or 13? but towards the end u figured out that she was older.

Morrible: Yes, yes, of course! Oh, You must be Miss Nessarose, the governor's daughter. What a tragically beautiful face you have! Sees Elphaba, snorts...And you must be. Elphaba: I'm the other daughter. Elphaba. I'm beautifully tragic. Morrible: Yes, yes, I'm sure you're very bright. Galinda: Bright? She's phosphorescent. i love wicked!