Wicked Band Wagon

broadwayalto01 Profile Photo
broadwayalto01
#0Wicked Band Wagon
Posted: 12/30/04 at 9:59am

I just wanted to know how many people liked Idinia Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth before they were in Wicked.. I just feel that many people like Idina and Kristin now instead of being fans before that. I loved Idina in everything else she has done, and Kristin was a great Sally Brown.. Please prove me worng about the Wicked Band Wagon..

Life is like a patio door, you never know which side is open... and then you run into the glass.... ~Connie and Carla

OrdinaryJukebox1 Profile Photo
OrdinaryJukebox1
#1re: Wicked Band Wagon
Posted: 12/30/04 at 10:00am

I was a fan of Idina from "Rent" and "The Wild Party" long before "Wicked." I was actually a fan of "Wicked," because of the book, before they even turned it into a musical. My fan status for Idina was sealed when I saw her in "Wicked." re: Wicked Band Wagon Feel better?

-Vincent

Peppermint Patty
#2re: Wicked Band Wagon
Posted: 12/30/04 at 10:01am

I loved Kristin Chenoweth as Sally Brown and I thought Idina was great in Rent (I was only 8 or 9 when the show came out but I got the cast recording when I was 10). I also was a fan of Wicked the book before I saw Wicked the Musical. I honestly like the book A LOT better and I'm still not a fan of the musical.

"It's a privelege to pee"-Urinetown
Updated On: 12/30/04 at 10:01 AM

broadwayalto01
#3re: Wicked Band Wagon
Posted: 12/30/04 at 10:16am

I am not saying that everyone is jumping on the Wicked bandwagon.. I just think a ton of people are.. Most people remember her from RENT and that's good.. I just wish people would look at the past things they both have done.. Like JLT she was awesome in Urinetown.. All I am saying is that people need to listen to other things the ladies have been in as well as Wicked..

Life is like a patio door, you never know which side is open... and then you run into the glass.... ~Connie and Carla

My Fair Lady Profile Photo
My Fair Lady
#4re: Wicked Band Wagon
Posted: 12/30/04 at 10:25am

I read the book, which is what made me interested in the musical. I got the book as a Chanukkah persent when I was starting to get into musicals, because Wicked had recently opened. Also, I had the Rent cast recording before I saw Wicked and I thought Idina Menzel was amazing.

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#5re: Wicked Band Wagon
Posted: 12/30/04 at 12:17pm

I saw Idina in Rent and have loved her since. Although, I wasn't "into" her until I saw Wicked when I wanted to get everything she had recorded. I also respect her as a musician.
I fell in love with Kristin from the moment I saw her on the Tony's as Sally Brown.
So, I loved these two before Wicked.
Now, I'm interested in JLT's work, because she's very talented, and I hadn't heard of her before Wicked.

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.

Lifeoftheparty2 Profile Photo
Lifeoftheparty2
#6re: Wicked Band Wagon
Posted: 12/30/04 at 12:24pm

i loved idina for years. i have her old stuff like still i cant be still and i have the promo poster from that. and of course rent, wild party, hair and all that fun stuff she was in. i didnt know of kristin before wicked but im not a crazy kristin fan. i like her, i met her but i wouldnt go crazy goin to see her in concert or anything.
i mean as much as i love wicked, i just wish the fanbase wasnt so crazy sometimes. i am a HUGE fan of the wizard of oz.. i have collectibles and memoribilia all over my room and i have been collecting it since the first time i saw the movie when i was like one. that + idina were the reasons i wanted to see wicked, growing up a wizard of oz fan.

*Always be a first rate version of yourself, instead of a second rate version of someone else* -Judy Garland

Broadway_Bound_Star Profile Photo
Broadway_Bound_Star
#7re: Wicked Band Wagon
Posted: 12/30/04 at 12:26pm

I am not actually a huge fan of Wicked.. I just love Idina.

wicked1
#8re: Wicked Band Wagon
Posted: 12/30/04 at 12:52pm

I don't understand why people get offended whenever the topic of Wicked comes up. As for being a fan of Idina & Kristin, my opinion is that they are both very talented and it's great that people are becoming fans. It doesn't matter when they became fans...just that they are. I've seen Wicked twice. Never with Kristin and Idina only once. And, I'll see it again even when the entire original cast is gone. The show did make me a fan of Idina and I don't see what's wrong with that. I think it made me open my eyes to the other things that she has done. Now I appreciate the stuff she did before Wicked. I was already a fan of Kristin, but not because of anything she's done on the stage (other than the Tony's). Not everyone lives in NY or has the means to see every show that's ever been on Broadway. If we did, I'm sure we would have been a fan of both of them at the beginning of thier careers. However, it doesn't make us wrong for being fans now. Better late than never is what I say!

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#9re: Wicked Band Wagon
Posted: 12/30/04 at 12:56pm

I haven't seen WICKED but I sure loved Kristin in STEEL PIER. Do I win? re: Wicked Band Wagon

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

broadwayalto01
#10re: Wicked Band Wagon
Posted: 12/30/04 at 1:01pm

I'm not saying it's bad to be fans.. I just wish people would look at their other things they have done. That's all.. I am not trying to bash anyone.. I just wanted to get people's opinions.. Everyone is entitled to that...

NightLaughs Profile Photo
NightLaughs
#11re: Wicked Band Wagon
Posted: 12/30/04 at 1:03pm

I was first introduced to Idina when I got into Rent ages ago. I got her CD, and even downloaded every bootleg I could find of her other originals. Yes, I am the only person I know with a cd entitled "Idina: Live!". And I adore all the accoustic type songs, even learned to play a few on the guitar. Just cool music. I enjoyed her in "the Wild Party" too. Even that was a good 2 or 3 years ago, though. I checked Wicked out because I figured whatever she was doing next must be good. Norbert's presence helped as well. So I would say I def. didn't just "jump on the bandwagon". But in this stage, who's going to differentiate me from the 11-year olds in Popular shirts? Everyone likes to just assume. Oh well, no matter. And as for Kristen, I didn't know of her work before, though I loved her in Wicked, I can't say I'm a big fan.

If you limit your choices to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise."- Robert Fritz

Merrydothe Profile Photo
Merrydothe
#12re: Wicked Band Wagon
Posted: 12/30/04 at 2:12pm

Loved Idina since Rent in the 1990s, then saw Kristin in YAGMCB and fell in love with her, bought her CD, Cast Recordings. Saw them both in Wicked in May, and I've been back 3 more times since then! Love em, and love Wicked!

Overthemoon6 Profile Photo
Overthemoon6
#13re: Wicked Band Wagon
Posted: 12/30/04 at 2:38pm

I have a popular and a defy gravity shirt, and so do two of my friends who like the show (one of them hasn't actually seen it, but w/e). I was only 6 when Rent came out, but i saw Wicked in its San Francisco tryout and loved Idina and Kristin ever since. I didn't know Idina was in rent until i bought the cd,which is another story...

And then, do you know Monseiur Marius, I believe I was a little in love with you.
♥♥♥

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#14re: Wicked Band Wagon
Posted: 12/30/04 at 2:45pm

I really started liking Idina around the same time that Wicked began in San Fran, because I discovered her cd Still I Can't Be Still, her unreleased music, and her work in Rent...so she kind of raised an interest in me to go see Wicked immediately when it opened.

personB
#15re: Wicked Band Wagon
Posted: 12/30/04 at 3:10pm

I discovered Cheno in my Peanuts hype four years ago (bought every single Peanuts book, found out about YAGMCB, borrowed the cast recording, actually started listening to Bway stuff other than ALW, whom I've since then determined isn't that great; Sondheim is a lot better.). Chenoweth is the only reason I went to go see Wicked.

Idina I had no idea about until I saw Wicked...yeah, I still only know a few songs from Rent. Why is the cast recording for Rent so expensive?

BroadwayGirl107
#16re: Wicked Band Wagon
Posted: 12/30/04 at 3:12pm

It's two discs and it's the entire show minus a few spoken lines here and there.

LittleFish8386 Profile Photo
LittleFish8386
#17re: Wicked Band Wagon
Posted: 12/30/04 at 3:13pm

I think I win, for I have loved JLT since I saw her in the Carousel Tour back when I was a mere little youngster. And I have seen her in all her New York shows since then. She is the only reason I really like Wicked now.

BSoBW2
#18re: Wicked Band Wagon
Posted: 12/30/04 at 3:13pm

i liked idina in rent

i liked KC and her show - but i forgot about her until i saw Wicked...

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#19re: Wicked Band Wagon
Posted: 12/30/04 at 3:14pm

I am not a fan of WICKED at all. I enjoy Idina on occasion - I enjoyed her in THE WILD PARTY and RENT.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

check your personality Profile Photo
check your personality
#20re: Wicked Band Wagon
Posted: 12/30/04 at 3:40pm

To be 100% honest, I did not know who Kristin Chenoweth or Idina Menzel were until Wicked. However, I don't think of this as a bad thing - I just was young when Rent came out, same with YAGMCB. Now, I have gone back and listened to both artists in their former venues on Broadway, and loved it all (especially Idina in Rent and The Wild Party and her own music). I don't like Idina and Kristin because of Wicked alone, however, it was the means of introducing me to both talented women. Updated On: 12/30/04 at 03:40 PM

OneLastRefrain2
#21re: Wicked Band Wagon
Posted: 12/30/04 at 3:43pm

Personally, I've been a fan of Idina's since RENT... and I'm more of a fan of her own music (Still I Can't be Still , Here, and the other songs she's written but not recorded).
To me, Elphaba is my least favorite Idina role, and it's funny that she's gotten so famous for this role in particular. I think she's great, I'm a huge fan of her work, but I think she was much better as Maureen and deserved this much attention way back then.

BroadwayGirl107
#22re: Wicked Band Wagon
Posted: 12/30/04 at 3:44pm

Agreed, OneLastRefrain. It's just the nature of Wicked though...it's such a huge hit and so family-friendly, so she's bound to get more attention for Elphaba than Maureen.

check your personality Profile Photo
check your personality
#23re: Wicked Band Wagon
Posted: 12/30/04 at 3:46pm

OneLastRefrain - I agree with Idina's own music. I think the songs she has written, and sung on her albums are amazing - you can tell she puts all of her emotion and heart into the words and the music. Heart On My Sleeve is brilliant!

OneLastRefrain2
#24re: Wicked Band Wagon
Posted: 12/30/04 at 3:52pm

She's brilliant! It's frustrating to me that her music doesn't get any radio airtime (it never really did, as she mentioned the only time she heard it on the radio they called the song "minute" (my-noot) by "Eye"deena Mentzle. I get the whole Wicked is a hit and therefore Idina becomes a hit for Wicked-- I'm just scared that shes ALWAYS going to be remembered as Elphaba.

Videos