Rent in SF Latest news

bellalunatic Profile Photo
bellalunatic
#0Rent in SF Latest news
Posted: 1/9/05 at 3:17pm

from the San Francisco Chronicle today:

But the real killer has been . . .

-- Act Three: "Rent" Control. Since taking office, Newsom has been trying to bring Hollywood back to the Bay Area, and he was hoping to get it all started by luring the musical "Rent" to film on Treasure Island.

All looked to be sweetness and light, until Hall took a look at the deal and started a fight with Newsom's new Film Commission executive, Stefanie Pleet Coyote (as in the wife of actor Peter Coyote), over the terms of the lease.

The company making the movie, Revolution Studios, says city officials promised it a sound stage rent-free, plus free utilities and parking.

"Which is something we can't deliver because then it's a gift of public funds,' Hall insists.

Hall wouldn't sign on the dotted line. After an angry exchange between Stefanie Coyote and Gallagher, Hall filed a Public Records Act demand that the film commish boss turn over her private correspondence with the studio. No one around City Hall can remember anything like it.

Hall says he was simply trying to find out what Coyote had promised the filmmakers -- but, he added, "she wouldn't give them up.' Nor apparently does she intend to.

As of early Friday, the negotiations weren't looking particularly good. Hall said he was just about ready to pull the plug on the $40 million movie production.

But by that evening, the tide had shifted. "They accepted our term sheet as of last night at about 8 p.m.,' Hall said Saturday. "(The contract's) being drawn up as we speak.'

According to Hall, the film company will pay $12,500 a month in rent, plus enough money deposited in an account to guarantee the lease through July.

"It was accepted on our terms,' he said.

And that's just for starters.

Hall says he already has another film deal in the bag with an outfit that's agreed to pay $18,000 a month for space on the island.

It's a local Pentecostal Church group -- with German financing -- looking to take on Hollywood with a feature-length Bible epic.

Or maybe they'd like to take a stab at the "Treasure Island Chronicles."

"Mirror, mirror on the wall, you've watched me grow since I was small. What will I regret the most? The things I did or the things I don't? But I can't say, what I can barely face: my life is halfway through and I still haven't done what I'm here to do"

Chloe Profile Photo
Chloe
#1re: Rent in SF Latest news
Posted: 1/9/05 at 3:26pm

See the Anthony Rapp thread for a link to this article. By the way, Acts 1 and 2 were about how Hall is billing the city for a new car and big holiday party he threw. Apparently gifts of public funds are only appropriate when they're for him. Updated On: 1/10/05 at 03:26 PM

bellalunatic Profile Photo
bellalunatic
#2re: Rent in SF Latest news
Posted: 1/9/05 at 3:31pm

the man's a schmuck and never shoulda been appointed there in the first place...it was too soon after his other city job according to the ethics committee...but whatever he's still a schmuck I hope he gets fired now.

"Mirror, mirror on the wall, you've watched me grow since I was small. What will I regret the most? The things I did or the things I don't? But I can't say, what I can barely face: my life is halfway through and I still haven't done what I'm here to do"

Chloe Profile Photo
Chloe
#3re: Rent in SF Latest news
Posted: 1/9/05 at 3:48pm

Yeah, he seems to be doing the city a lot of harm.

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#4re: Rent in SF Latest news
Posted: 1/10/05 at 8:11pm

ha ha i love the word "schmuk" that just made my day!!! I can't wait for the RENT movie to start being filmed!! I live only 15-30 minutes away from SF!! i can't wait!

Dreamcatcher Profile Photo
Dreamcatcher
#5re: Rent in SF Latest news
Posted: 1/10/05 at 8:23pm

Well they could do ALOT worse then film it in SF. Sure its not New York but its understandable that they cant film the movie there all the time. At least it isnt Beverly Hills. "Oh look we're in New York!! *Hollywood sign in the hills in the immediate background.*" I hate it when people are too half assed to find a decent location taht resembles the place it is supposed to be so they settle on filming a cold winter day in New York in sunny, bright CA. I have nothing against CA obviously since I live there but it really destroys the realism in a movie when people go back to "Every place on earth looks like LA!"

I wanted to get something that an "ex"-junkie like him would really appreciate and cherish....it's a brick of heroin shaped like a heart. -Scrubs

Delphine Profile Photo
Delphine
#6re: Rent in SF Latest news
Posted: 1/10/05 at 8:32pm

Dreamcatcher, I agree, but a small correction: although CA is sunny, SF is not. SF is often overcast and foggy. re: Rent in SF Latest news

Dreamcatcher
#7re: Rent in SF Latest news
Posted: 1/10/05 at 9:55pm

haha your right, ive only been to SF once in my life and although it was so windy it almost knocked me into a harbor it was all sunny. :-P

I wanted to get something that an "ex"-junkie like him would really appreciate and cherish....it's a brick of heroin shaped like a heart. -Scrubs

felineofavenueb Profile Photo
felineofavenueb
#8re: Rent in SF Latest news
Posted: 1/10/05 at 10:46pm

Aside from that, there aren't any standing plans of filming any exterior stuff in SF. All the exteriors are going to be New York.

Dreamcatcher
#9re: Rent in SF Latest news
Posted: 1/11/05 at 1:35am

Yeah I read that they were still doing most of the exteriors in NY which is good. It is a shame that they couldn't film it all in NY but, again, its understandable what with all the noise and commotion and night shoots it would require to film it and that probably doesn't sit too well. The way they are talking about filming it (technically speaking) sounds very interesting. Alot of 360 degree fast spins with the camera and shots from Mark's camera's POV. Also I like how they are playing with flashbacks during One Song Glory and Tango: Maureen. V. cool. One Song Glory sounds like it's going to be heartwrenching in the movie.

sipos
#10re: Rent in SF Latest news
Posted: 1/11/05 at 1:47am

And hey, if they shoot anything outside in SF, the fog can double as nyc sewer hole effects. I dunno. I'm tired.

Dreamcatcher
#11re: Rent in SF Latest news
Posted: 1/11/05 at 2:21am

hahaha nice. Yeah thankfully whatever they cant film in NY will get filmed in SF and the two don't look too differnet if u look for the right places in SF.

MsNina
#12re: Rent in SF Latest news
Posted: 1/11/05 at 2:32am

well if they're going to film on treasure island... i'm sure they'll bee filming interior shots or small street scenes because t-island is in the middle of the san francisco figgin' bay. SF is infact a short jaunt on the bay bridge away.

EvelynNesbit1906 Profile Photo
EvelynNesbit1906
#13re: Rent in SF Latest news
Posted: 1/11/05 at 2:36am

I don't think the possibility of catching mountains or famous California landmarks in the shots was ever even at issue. That would just be awful filmmaking, and more than enough cause for the critics to slam it.

PramsAclams Profile Photo
PramsAclams
#14re: Rent in SF Latest news
Posted: 1/11/05 at 3:54pm

Gavin Newsome is hot

It's eckspecially apropos So if you really want to know Do I love you? Don't aks.

renthead2005z Profile Photo
renthead2005z
#15re: Rent in SF Latest news
Posted: 1/11/05 at 4:35pm

Wow can you say random....

"Why do we play with fire?-Why do we run our fingers through the flame?"

Videos