pixeltracker

Roundabout to bring Sweeny Todd to Broadway fall '05

Roundabout to bring Sweeny Todd to Broadway fall '05

Yankeefan007
#0Roundabout to bring Sweeny Todd to Broadway fall '05
Posted: 1/31/05 at 3:00pm

The Roundabout Theatre Company continues its own Stephen Sondheim celebration as the nonprofit plans to bring the composer's Sweeney Todd currently playing in London to Broadway in the fall.

Director John Doyle — who staged the London run — will rejoin musical director Sarah Travis for the work slated to start rehearsals July stateside for a September start and October opening, a casting notice reveals.

Ambassadors Theatre Group will co-present the work which they currently co-produce with The Watermill Theatre at the West End's New Ambassador Theatre through Feb. 5.

The unique staging casts — as Roundabout's Cabaret revival did — actor-musicians to retell the story of the Demon Barber of Fleet Street and company. A cast of nine actors (with no ensemble) will be required to perform on instruments ranging from flute, trumpets and clarinets to piano and double bass.

The new staging of Sweeney Todd — which features music and lyrics by Sondheim and a book by Hugh Wheeler — uses the adaptation by Christopher Bond. The story follows a vengeful barber in Victorian England and his neighbor who owns a pie shop that has recently come into favor due to a surplus of meat pies.

from playbill.com
Updated On: 1/31/05 at 03:00 PM

leomaxfrank Profile Photo
leomaxfrank
#1re: Roundabout to bring Sweeny Todd Back to Broadway
Posted: 1/31/05 at 3:02pm

THANK YOU! it's about time

But I won't live alone in a house of regret.

BillyLawlor Profile Photo
BillyLawlor
#3re: Roundabout to bring Sweeny Todd Back to Broadway
Posted: 1/31/05 at 3:28pm

Let the dream casting begin!

PLEASE BRING BRIAN STOKES MITCHELL TO THIS ROLE!
And let's reunite this show with Patti. She was phenomenaL. And the woman needs to be get back to the Great White Way.

We need more Sondheim.

Chrysanthemum62001
#4re: Roundabout to bring Sweeny Todd Back to Broadway
Posted: 1/31/05 at 3:33pm

OH MY GAWD!!!! Now THIS will be something to see.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

baddadnpa Profile Photo
baddadnpa
#5re: Roundabout to bring Sweeny Todd Back to Broadway
Posted: 1/31/05 at 3:51pm

Looks like the Roundabout is going to work its way through the Sondheim catalog.

The truly beautiful should be lawfully restricted from wearing clothing; and the truly butt-ugly should be lawfully mandated from going naked.

sanda Profile Photo
sanda
#6re: Roundabout to bring Sweeny Todd Back to Broadway
Posted: 1/31/05 at 4:03pm

Yes! Let Stokes in!
He will be great! Updated On: 1/31/05 at 04:03 PM

apdarcey
#7re: Roundabout to bring Sweeny Todd Back to Broadway
Posted: 1/31/05 at 4:13pm

brilliant. brilliant.. now do all nine of the actors have to play instruments? that's a little confusing to me... stokes all the way. seriously

sanda Profile Photo
sanda
#8re: Roundabout to bring Sweeny Todd Back to Broadway
Posted: 1/31/05 at 4:13pm

Billy

how about start a " Bring Stokes in Sweeney Todd" thread as a campain?

jim Profile Photo
jim
#9re: Roundabout to bring Sweeny Todd Back to Broadway
Posted: 1/31/05 at 4:40pm

Interesting show. Saw it over the holidays. Yes, the nine pricipals play their own instruments. Except for Sweeney.As I recall, the actor playing Todd doesn't play an instrument. There were two ensemble cast members who also didn't play--but sat there at music stands when they were not 'performing.' Sometimes, the chorus would assist as page turners.

#10re: Roundabout to bring Sweeny Todd Back to Broadway
Posted: 1/31/05 at 4:43pm

I thought they did a prodcution a while ago...
Oh wait, that was Circle in the Square wasn't it?

I heard that was a very good version. I wish they had recorded it.

apdarcey
#11re: Roundabout to bring Sweeny Todd Back to Broadway
Posted: 1/31/05 at 4:44pm

but now there won't be any chorus... so i assume it's nine people to play:

sweeney toodd
mrs. lovett
anthony hope
tobias
johanna
beggar woman
judge turpin

and then who are the other two?

broadwaynut20
#12re: Roundabout to bring Sweeny Todd Back to Broadway
Posted: 1/31/05 at 4:55pm

i believe there are characters named the Beadle and Pirelli Updated On: 1/31/05 at 04:55 PM

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#13re: Roundabout to bring Sweeny Todd Back to Broadway
Posted: 1/31/05 at 4:56pm

And the magic elixer guy, can't remember his name. Traveled with Toby for part of the show

baddadnpa Profile Photo
baddadnpa
#14re: Roundabout to bring Sweeny Todd Back to Broadway
Posted: 1/31/05 at 4:57pm

Don't forget, Sweeney needs customers to slash.

The truly beautiful should be lawfully restricted from wearing clothing; and the truly butt-ugly should be lawfully mandated from going naked.

apdarcey
#15re: Roundabout to bring Sweeny Todd Back to Broadway
Posted: 1/31/05 at 5:04pm

i know, but they say there will only be 9 people, hmmm.

Elizabeth_DeBris
#16re: Roundabout to bring Sweeny Todd Back to Broadway
Posted: 1/31/05 at 5:05pm

EponineThenardier: That's Pirelli. re: Roundabout to bring Sweeny Todd Back to Broadway

Now, I can run around my house screaming. Ohmygod, SWEENEY! ON BROADWAY! Eeee, this completely made my day. Ohmygod, Sweeney on Broadway. ^^
*Ecstatic*

BWayBoy88
#17re: Roundabout to bring Sweeny Todd Back to Broadway
Posted: 1/31/05 at 5:10pm

YAY! I am so happy

zippyjen Profile Photo
zippyjen
#18re: Roundabout to bring Sweeny Todd Back to Broadway
Posted: 1/31/05 at 5:28pm

woo hoo!!!! i am jumping up and down!!!!

"At the opening night party, they had clowns on stilts, jugglers, a chocolate fountain, popcorn, hot dogs. [My son] looked at me like I had been holding back. Like, 'This is what you do?' I had to tell him, 'No, no, darling. Opening nights don't usually look like this.' It's usually a dark bar with a bottle of vodka." ?Chitty Chitty Bang Bang's Jan Maxwell plus i proudly share the title of the shortest member over the age of 10 with wickedrentq!

BudFrump23 Profile Photo
BudFrump23
#19re: Roundabout to bring Sweeny Todd Back to Broadway
Posted: 1/31/05 at 6:01pm

Who has seen it across the sea? Does it work without a large ensemble? I feel like the big loud numbers (such as God, That's Good and all the Ballads of Sweeny Todd) wouldn't be as powerful.

I'm as jumpy as a virgin at a prison rodeo!

jim Profile Photo
jim
#20re: Roundabout to bring Sweeny Todd Back to Broadway
Posted: 1/31/05 at 6:56pm

from the program of the production at new Ambassadors in London

Paul Hegarty Sweeney Todd
Michael Howcroft Beadle
Stephanie Jacob Pirelli/ Fogg
Rebecca Jackson Beggar Woman
Rebecca Jenkins Johanna
Sam Kenyon Tobias
Karen Mann Mrs. Lovett
David Ricardo Pearce Anthony
Colin Wakefield Judge

Ensemble
Cymon Allen (u/s Sweeney Todd, Judge Turpin)
Sarah Harvey (u/s Johanna, Beggar Woman)
Bryan Pilkington (u/s Toby, Anthony, Beadle)
Loveday Smith (u/s Mrs.Lovett, Pirelli)

Bit of a spoiler below....

The ensemble members were always dressed in white physician / lab coats.When not singing the choral portions, they would sit off to the side in chairs behind music stands or, assist those playing instruments by turning the pages of the score.
I assume that the understudies would play the instruments of the character they were going on for...for example, Mrs. Lovett played the trumpet, Johanna and Tobias both played cellos..

charlesincharge Profile Photo
charlesincharge
#21re: Roundabout to bring Sweeny Todd Back to Broadway
Posted: 1/31/05 at 7:01pm

when you say "interesting show", does that mean interestin good or interesting bad?

Chrysanthemum62001
#22re: Roundabout to bring Sweeny Todd Back to Broadway
Posted: 1/31/05 at 7:05pm

So what are the chances of them ever doing Sunday in the Park With George?

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

jim Profile Photo
jim
#23re: Roundabout to bring Sweeny Todd Back to Broadway
Posted: 1/31/05 at 7:18pm

Oh, it was more than interesting! Well worth seeing. I saw the original Lansbury/ Cariou production and have the DVD. I guess, I wasn't prepared for the look, the style of the piece. It was startling--the same way Donmar and later Roundabout's CABARET seemed on first viewing. I do recommend this production. I do think that for some , not familiar with the story, it could be confusing. But am I glad I saw it? Very much so. Todd and Grand Hotel--- both were excellent. Todd was a last minute decision. Just happened that there was a matinee on Thursday afternoon of Christmas week. So I grabbed it. Glad I did!

jo
#24re: Roundabout to bring Sweeny Todd Back to Broadway
Posted: 1/31/05 at 8:33pm

Was the London production a more intitmate production, then?

I guess a different staging done successfully speaks well of how theatre can make revivals seem altogether like a new show.

Videos